Sign in to follow this  
ymmit

headphones for my Mac

Hi all.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use with my Mac notebook.

I'll be using it to listen to music mainly.

I have a pair of sony earphones that's relatively strong on treble, not as strong in bass. and I've grown to like that combi.

I don't like headphones that have OVERPOWERING bass. so much so that the treble becomes muted.

I kinda like the puffy headphone types, rather than the "cheap-looking" skinny spine type of headphones like the sennheiser px200.

Budget under S$100, although I won't mind paying under S$150 if it is a good pair.

2 Questions:

1) What brand + model of headphones would you recommend?

2) do those "puffy" type of headphones perform better than px200 kind?

Thanks.

What Mac are you using? I'm using a 15" Powerbook G4. I have no idea what the preinstalled soundcard is but it sounds fairly good with .wav files.

For the price you mention $100~$150 & the criterias you've mentioned & assuming by 'puffy' headphones you mean full sized circumaural, e.g.:

user posted image

There are quite alot to choose from but, there are a few other things to consider if they are relevant to you. Closed or open back & what kind of music you will be using them with.

Anyway, some recommendations are as follows:

Closed type:

Beyerdynamic DT231/(Galactic)

Sony MDR-7506 (a little over your budget if new)

Sony MDR-D66SL (Eggos)

Philips SBCHS900 (unknown quantity here yet but cheap & flavour of the month on head-fi right now)

Ultrasone HFI-650 (alittle over your budget, offer at $160 right now by EL Scorcho)

Open type:

Beyerdynamix DT431/DT531

Philips HP-890

All of which should be able to perform unamped. Others will chime in their suggestions as well as this is not an extensive list.

music i listen to:

- pop english chinese

- jazz

- rock

- house music

Dance and house music I listen to once in a while only. same for rock. I don't know if that's the kind of info you need when you said "what type of music", but if you meant otherwise, let me know.

I'm using a 12" Powerbook smile.gif I think I may bring along my iPod and test it at the Sim Lim Square 3rd floor audio shop with the headphones you suggested before deciding.

Any more suggestions? how come no sennheiser suggestions? are they bad?

That's pretty much it what I mean't about the music.

I'm not familiar with the ones in that price category. I think the HD200, HD212 & HD479 are used by members here as well. So wait for them to post their comments.

From what I've heard you won't go wrong with the ultrasone. It competes well(or might be better) with/than cans like dt250, hd280pro , v6 and others

HD200 cost about $110

not too bad a headphone but it tends to build up some heat inside the "cups" when using in non air-conditioned place. that's my only complaint about this headphone. it sounds good (IMO) out of my pc but it may not suits your taste as it's a little weak on the treble area

anyway, give it a listen at Hung Brothers @ SLS 3rd level.

In order of priority (I've used them on my powerbook unamped):

Beyer DT250 is out of your price range. But I highly recommended it as it sounds pretty good, even being 250 ohms but you could opt for the 80 ohm version to get higher volume levels. Punchy without sounding too bass heavy (without eq-ing), crisp & clear sounding in the mids & highs.

Sony MDR-7506/V6 has louder volume but I felt the sound, though very acceptable if you never heard the DT250 before, was slightly lacking due to the bass being stronger & overpowering the mids slightly. No problems with the highs though as it sounded a little brighter.

Sony Eggos, my initial impressions was favourable on these cans due to their WOW factor but eventually after living with it I found it didn't suit my taste albeit the impressive soundstage like the DT250. They IMO required an amp to sound better.

All are closed & full sized headphones.

Thanks N@Z.

how come you never recommend Grado? I was searching around the forums and on the Net, and Grado SR80 (pref for this at SGD$170) and SR60 seem to have some really good reviews. Have you used them before and how do they compare?

the Ultrasone one, not recommended to use with portable devices e.g. ipod?

http://www.exhardware.com/reviews.php?Id=116&Page=3

ipod should be able to drive them well enough. Ipod has quite a lot of juice.

And then again, if you are using it for portable situations, I recommend you stay away from open cans which provide no isolation.

You should try the HFI 650. Just gotten myself a pair and it does sounds pretty good even before burn in. Will post more after burn in

BTW I am listening it out of my Panasonic Discman.

Edited by lengcm

about the ultrasone, I guess you can't trust every review then smile.gif

I'll probably go on down to Adelphi tomorrow afternoon. It's my first time there to look for headphones, and my first serious pair.

Where else besides Music by Design sell Grado headphones?

And specifically at which friendly shops can I find some of the other brands like Sennheiser, Beyer, Ultrasone etc?

Which shops do you recommend?

Hmm.. Music by design close shop is it? I've been calling for the past 2 days, the number is correct, but no one's answering. Staff at Adelphi said store's lights are off.