Sign in to follow this  
ymmit

headphones for my Mac

Thanks N@Z.

how come you never recommend Grado? I was searching around the forums and on the Net, and Grado SR80 (pref for this at SGD$170) and SR60 seem to have some really good reviews. Have you used them before and how do they compare?

the Ultrasone one, not recommended to use with portable devices e.g. ipod?

http://www.exhardware.com/reviews.php?Id=116&Page=3

You're very welcome.

Grado I assumed you didn't want because they are supra-aural meaning the earpads sits on your ears like the PX100/200, only bigger. But if you don't mind the design & (dis)comfort issue then I'd certainly recommend the SR80 which I used to own too. They were my first foray into Grado & certainly had a great wow factor when I first heard them. It should work no problems with the iPod as I intially used it on both my PCDP & MD players respectively & both sounded great albeit harsher sounding compared with my Senn HD565 Ovations which sounded smoother but with silightly less output volume (due to the higher impedance 150 ohms).

Hi all.

Thank you so much for your responses and advice.

I went on down to Music by Design today and got myself a pair of Grado SR80s. The difference in bass between the SR60 and SR80 was quite apparent. the SR60's bass felt "weak", undefined. Plus, I couldn't stand the pads of the SR60. SR80's pads were so much better.

First impressions: wow, damn light pair of headphones. And the 1950's style is kinda appealing in a way.

I'm breaking them in now as Rameish advised. Just set it to play my entire iTunes library, at just below comfort volume.

I wonder how different it would sound after breaking in?

Congratulations!

Why don't you try & see (or rather hear) whether you can hear the difference after 48 hours of straight burn-in wink.gif

kenshinz: I got them for S$170, same as the price stated in the sticky here.

N@Z: I'm no audiophile. right now as I'm burning them in at "just below comfort" volume, I can't quite hear the "GRADO difference". maybe after tomorrow when I raise the volume, I can hear the difference smile.gif

As I was walking around Adelphi, I saw all those elaborate setups with all sorts of transistors, vaccums etc. on top of black boxes. I wonder what in the world they are. Maybe someday when I get to know a audiophile personally I can ask him smile.gif

As I was walking around Adelphi, I saw all those elaborate setups with all sorts of transistors, vaccums etc. on top of black boxes. I wonder what in the world they are.

Tube Amplifers ?

Yeah.. tube amplifiers.. heh..

Anyways, I'm using my iTunes on my powerbook as a source for burning in my headphones. is that a problem? or should I be using a stereo system?

That shouldn't be a problem, just remember not to put your powerbook on auto sleep. And plug in the mains power adapter, but I guess you'd already know that wink.gif

Enjoy!

yeah. noted. my powerbook is NEVER asleep.. heh.. only when it is in transport smile.gif

I never knew I had 4 days worth of continously playing music in my iTunes. sheesh.. that's a lot of music!

As I was walking around Adelphi, I saw all those elaborate setups with all sorts of transistors, vaccums etc. on top of black boxes. I wonder what in the world they are...

That could have been the CARY 300SEI SET integrated amplifier you saw. Cost a cool $7K IIRC.

Psychic (or should that be psycho). Sorry, you're right I was thinking of MBD not the other shops.

I've used the GR80s for quite a stretch right now.

The sponge pads are fine. But what I find uncomfortable are the insides.

There is this wire mesh of sorts covering the innards that is quite rough. after wearing for long periods, the tips of my ears are really sore from abrasion!

Anyone got any solution, maybe some thin foam pad or something?

You mean something like these? wink.gif

These are replacement earpads for the vintage Sennheiser HD414 headphones. You can get them from the sennheiser dealer. Trust me, it looks alot better on the black SR80s than it does on the RS-1!

You could leave it unmodifed without the hole or make a slightly smaller hole to prevent the insides from rubbing against your ears. Leaving it unmodifed on the SR80 is a good solution if you find the sound too bright. The only drawback is that it might sound a little bass heavy/muddy. The other option is making a 20cent hole instead of the 50 cent hole like on mine.

RS1_after.jpg