red_ryder

Just got the DT931 today!

Thanks mackie!

They sound great already (on my laptop), can't imagine what burning-in will achieve. But then again, I'm a newbie and my ears arent that well trained. I can finally hear the difference between mp3s encoded at 128 and at 192. biggrin.gif

Got a question about burning in - does it need to be continuous 48 or 72 hrs? Can I just burn in for say 8 hours every night, while I'm sleeping?

Mod edit: The model is DT-931 and not 981. Title was amended accordingly.

Edited by Mackie

red ryder, glad to know the cans are to your taste! U can run in the cans 24/7 like I normally do. Try to alternate the volume settings ie, slightly below your average listening volume in the initial stage; at your level in the intermediate stage and slightly louder in the final stages. Although this cans can handle high spl, try not to over-stress it with high volumes for extended period of time during the burn-in period.

CDs aside, use a tuner and tune in to the station which plays a wide variety of music and has the best reception. It's 99.1 in my case. It makes a great medium for buring-in cans. Alternatively, use the white noise in between stations for this purpose.

p.s. I left my 150 hooked to a tuner while I was overseas all of last week.

Edited by Mackie

hm great to hear that red!

Post some more impressions if you can yes.gif

Nice pair of cans, I prefer it's sound to the DT880.

congrats! wink.gif

i guess u can burn in the cans for 8 hrs every night but that will take a long time before it's done.

anyway, that's what i did. heheh. i cant burn in my DT880 continuously or else i will get it from my dad. haha

err.. regarding about the burning in...

if u dont burn in continously right, remember the topic we brought up last time about stuff going back to the original state of not being burned in... does it play a factor if u do it on and off and on and off... plus there is also another topic of stuff needing to be 'warmed' up to play at its potential.

disregard if im blabbering nonsense but something ive been thinking about lately.

edit: perhaps i wasnt being clear but i meant a reversing of stuff being burned in and going back to its original unburned state after a period of non-usage.

Edited by Q00

if u dont burn in continously right, remember the topic we brought up last time about stuff going back to the original state of not being burned in...

i think that will happen if u dont use your equipment for a LONG time

i may be wrong wink.gif

If burn-in is the loosening of drivers (IIRC, I read it somewhere in head-fi), then I guess something which has been "loosened" in this sense cannot be "tightened" that easily, at least not "spontaneously". I may be wrong, but burn-in is a truly profound process. Either you believe in it, or you don't. rolleyes.gif

If you have solid state equipment & a tuner/radio just leave it on 24/7. Consumption is very low. Added benefit is no warm up required for the next time you want to listen.

Just to clarify one point. The burn-in process not only loosens the drivers but also treats the conducting wires for better signal flow and in microscopic form, electron flow. Do note that prolonged usage requires demagnetizing to avoid signal fallout from magnetized electrons in the conductor. As for the "return-to-original state" concern raised by me in another thread, this happens only if the gear has not been used for months on end. And when this happens to your gear, it takes a much shorter time to rebuild it's run-in form than a wholly new set.

Btw, I received a message from red who mentioned he's hearing background noise on some cds but not others. This proves that revealing gears will expose any shortcomings in one's system and also the software played. Hence, I can't emphasize more on the GIGO theory enough.

Edited by Mackie

Discussions concerning the flaws on CD recording has been split to here: http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?showtopic=1495

Thanks mackie!

They sound great already (on my laptop), can't imagine what burning-in will achieve. But then again, I'm a newbie and my ears arent that well trained. I can finally hear the difference between mp3s encoded at 128 and at 192. biggrin.gif

Got a question about burning in - does it need to be continuous 48 or 72 hrs? Can I just burn in for say 8 hours every night, while I'm sleeping?

Mod edit: The model is DT-931 and not 981. Title was amended accordingly.

Welcome to team 931. smoke.gif