Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

new beyers?

Hi! Mackie, hope to hear from you soon on your opinions on the new Beyers, maybe with reference to the DT880.

Btw, DT440/660/860 is not the Trend Line series. It's known as Premuim Line. Trend line series carries DTX prefix.

Sorry Mackie I was confusing the new DT with the DTX series

Mackie,

It would be silly of Peak Fusion to bypass their dealers for consumer headphones. But then what do I know. LOL.

I had a short session with DT860/660 via my RKV and portable setup comprising of Panasonic SL-CT790 pcdp + Porta Corda II. The 860/660 are easily driven by my portable setup and definitely a contender for those who wish to wear expensive cans while on the move. These cans are foldable akin to Ultrasone's fashion.

Gone are the recessed-mid signature of DT770/880/990 series and the bass is fuller much akin to Senn HD600. I don't detect any brightness and I guarantee all who hears DT860 will be wowed in the first few instances. From memory, it really sounded like HD600 but without its "veil". For one who's used to the sound of 880/990, U'll find the bass very plumpy but not with disgust.

Aesthetics and construction wise, the new line looks and feel better than what I perceived from pictures. There's also a certain weight to these cans which imply confidence and quality.

In a quiet environment, DT860 outperforms DT660 in areas of bass definition, airiness, soundstaging and separation. In an environment with full onslaught of ambient noise ie, on the streets, overall quality of the former will drop so much that it's just not worthwhile to pay S$100 premium over DT660. In which case, DT860 will sound very close to DT660 on less discernible ears. That being said and conforming to the theory of upscale depreciation, the points scored by 860 relative to 660 are pretty close and the $100 price difference is a constant reminder during my audition.

A final note, DT860 package comes with a plush black leather case with zippers and foam inserts cut to the shape of the cans. DT660 being "DJ apporved" comes with an extra pair of leather pads.

Edited by Mackie

was reading about the DT660s on head-fi, are they available here at peak fusion yet? anybody know? (and how much of course wink.gif)

mackie, got lobang? happy.gif

Yes dear. DT660/860 was featured in the meet and I'm supposed to type my impressions earlier but delayed owing to work/family commitment. Will work on it soon.

In a snapshot, DT660 gives GREATER value for money being S$100 cheaper than DT860 without sounding significantly lesser than the latter. The high EUR exchange rate is killing VFM factor. Beyer new Premium lines are of low 32ohm impedance and appeals to anyone who hopes to own a pair of cans comfortable with portable + mini-amp and full size home rigs. I've tried these cans with Panasonic SL-CT790 and Porta Corda II and the whole experience was utterly enjoyable. Improvement noted with MF A3CD + Audiovalue RKV II is significantly higher. DT660/880 do not have the low/high extensions of DT880 which still reigns superior but the new range offers fuller mids as opposed to the latter's recessed signature. Brightness pervades for a new pair but like most Beyer cans, DT660/880 needs to run in past 300 hours to sound better. 500-hour mark is the ideal benchmark for most Beyer cans IMHO (based on DT880/DT150).

p.s. I have DT660/860 at home as of writing.

Edited by Mackie

wow. I'm jealous.

how much do the dt660s go for mackie? pm me if thats better

hey, post some pics won't you? wink.gif