Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Popularity of wireless cans amongst audiophiles

Anyone sees a need for wireless cans?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting findings so far........... most see wireless cans can actually co-exist with the wired ones and convenience being the main draw.

The reason I asked is I'm currently drawn towards Beyer RSX500/600 for its wide bandwidth, range and sound quality relative to price. I'll need more time to ascertain their sonic performance and as yet, these models have passed my bandwidth and range concerns with flying colours. I can't say how much joy I have watching late night movies and moving around my apartment with music perpectually through my ears.

Caveat emptor: IDA has not approved the sale of these units and remains so in the forseeable future. Operating frequency and bandwith are the possible reasons behind this decision.

Edited by Mackie

Okay, so I had a play with a FM audio transmitter and receiver I have.

The quality was pretty good when plugged into a decent hi-fi however not great. I think the actual transmission method used for these wireless headphones are just as big a part of the quality problem as the amps.

The bandwidth is just too limited to get a 'audiophile' quality signal from FM. The frequency response is limited to about 18Khz, but the dynamics are what suffer most.

So.. if someone was to make this wireless amp I think it would have to work on UHF rather than FM to get a un-compromised signal. I have a UHF transmitter which is meant for sending video round the house without any wires. I was going to see if I could use that to send an audio signal and then use a UHF receiver (the silver boxes inside a video recorder or TV) but I couldn't find one. Which is odd because I am sure we had a few lying around!

So anyhoo, that?s what I say- Use a UHF transmitter and receiver for a cheap way to transmit a good quality audio signal. I'm not going to build it though, I can't use it with my K1000's so I am not going to spend money to get the parts to build it just for interest.

I still think its a good idea, so if someone else wishes to have a go then by all means do! I would like to know how it goes!

I also think the best way to do it would not be to build it onto the amp, but to just make a small box that can plug into the inputs of any portable amp.

Cheers,

well well i voted NO .. as .... easy ... lol.gif

easy .. if wireless is as good as wire .... then for what they produce wire .... cans and is very hard to get the same sound quality of the wire cans ... tongue.gifwacko.gif

hm the convenience factor doesn't attract u?

as in being able to watch ur anime from a few metres away from ur comp tongue.gif

IMHO, wireless cans cater to convenience and in this respect, range/reception quality is more critical than sound quality. However, the latter must not lag by miles behind the wired counterpart of the same price bracket.

Edited by Mackie

If there was a wireless-version of HD600 and the price might be 30% or even up to 40% of the wired-version of HD600 and the sound quality is the same at the time when I was thinking of buying a senn hd600, i will choose the wireless-version.

I vote option 3.

At that price you could have the wired HD650 though! Are you sure you would choose the wireless version? happy.gif

I definitely would if that means I can flip around my house listening to my favourite music and have a great sound! w00t.gif

It's me! biggrin.gif

I based it purely on the question: Anyone sees a need for wireless cans?

I guess there's definitely a need for wireless cans, if not their very existence would have been meaningless. Everything that exists has some use/value, if not they wouldn't be there. Regardless of price and quality, wireless cans have their unique applications, and perhaps for some people (not exclusively audiophiles) they are absolutely indisposable! Hence, there's ultimately a need for them to warrant their existence...

Oh I see! biggrin.gif It's a boon to early morning football matches especially.

I remember in the very early days of my youth laugh.gif , I had a National walkman which not only tuned to radio stations but TV channels as well. I often used it for late night TV programmes when all in the family was asleep.

Edited by Mackie