Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Popularity of wireless cans amongst audiophiles

Anyone sees a need for wireless cans?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi chappies,

What are your votes and comments on this issue? Will U buy a pair of wireless cans if a particular make and model offers a good balance of sound quality, range performance and price? I believe convenience is the greatest draw as it is for me.

Feel free to voice your concerns and requirement priorities.

Let me be the first to vote:

Yes......only if sound and range performance versus price is attractive.

Yes......only if sound quality matches wired counterparts at the same price bracket.

Though somewhat impossible.

Edited by lekguan

They're great for watching live soccer matches in the wee hours of the morning. No wires to trip over, headphone jacks to be ripped out, when you stagger off to bed while still wearing the phones because you've had way too much beer and chips. And if you just fall asleep in the living room , no wires for other family members to trip over. No wires for your pets, if any, to chew on either. tongue.gif

av98m,

You sound like me before I got married (sans the chips). LOL

Mackie,

I'll say that as long as I only need to pay 25% more of the wireless variety then that's okay. Say make me a DT-931 (wireless) for about S$400 and yes I'll bite. No smart ass remarks about snipping off my wires on my DT-931 now. It's only an example.

The only one voted no. Reason is due to the weight increase on the battery. The amp inside would still be crappy at the moment....

Maybe a wireless link from source to a portable battery amp would be a better option instead. (and wire from amp to headphones).

Maybe a wireless link from source to a portable battery amp would be a better option instead. (and wire from amp to headphones).

Thats a good idea! I'd like that! And the good thing is they can be used with any headphone! Basically a wireless portable amplifier, not headphones!

Hmm... *gets thinking cap on...* I feel a DIY project coming on!

Hm, a super-hard (like hammond, just in case you sit on it) pocket-sized case, with a circuit which does not generate too much heat to be put in the pocket and still not feel that its warm, running on a couple of plainview 9Vs.... mmm......

Ok, sorry for straying off topic a little.

Hey. That maybe possible. IF the weight increase with a better Cmoy or CHA47. I go for it.

Hmm, should I stop my active noise cancelling project?

I can probably knock something together this weekend to see if it works. It won't be a good test of the sound capabilities however because I do not have a good portable amp. I have one that runs on a chip from a soundcard that is powered from a 9v batt.

The receiving circuit should not be too big. Maybe the size of a mini-disc including the arial. The only problem is that it will run the batteries down a lot faster. It should have a range enough to go round a normal size house and into the garden.

I will let you know how I get on!

Trouble is, it will NEVER work with my K1000!! NoooOOoo....

voted option 3

I will buy it if the price vs performance ratio is attractive.

Besides I agree with av98 on the convenience of wireless cans biggrin.gif

Something like a cheaper version of the Freesystem. Or maybe Tropicalrips or Xin (Fixup) could modify the amp in present wireless headphones to a better one would that be possible? wink.gif

If there was a wireless-version of HD600 and the price might be 30% or even up to 40% of the wired-version of HD600 and the sound quality is the same at the time when I was thinking of buying a senn hd600, i will choose the wireless-version.

I vote option 3.