Sign in to follow this  
zap

Panasonic CT790 pcdp

Thank you all for the previous suggestions. I'm thinking of getting the currently available 790 after some futile hunt for older sonys. Please comment on the sound quality, from more users please? Also which shop to buy and the price?

Also, please recommend a good combo of earbuds and amp with this pcdp that serve you well with good SQ.

Thank you for your patience.

Mackie should be able to answer you regarding the CT790. Heard that it sounds great with the bass boost on, but thinner without. Pretty smooth sounding, but expensive.

For portable use, a META42/PIMETA amp should do the job, or maybe the PCII N@Z is selling, if not the Supermicro. Earbus have been discussed before, some of the Aiwa models, Senn MX500, or if you don't mind canalphones, Shure E2/3/5 or Etymotics ER-6/4P/S. Many say that the ER-4S + META42 = Portable Bliss...

U mean SL-CT790? I'm a user of this pcdp, gotten it for less than a year. I had an almost futile search for a pcdp to replace my venerable Sony D-777 for the latter beats all in the Sony range until my encounter with Panasonic CT790.

D-777 has a richer sound and offers 3 different stages of bass management whilest CT790 has X-bass > Train (roll-off highs) > Live (surround/spatial effect) EQ modes to choose from. I still think D-777 is overall superior in sound quality but the contemporary CT790 has a smooth and very likeable sound, aside from longer playing hours and superior anti-shock feature. Aesthetics are attractive as well. Bass of CT790 may not be as punchy as D777 but the latter can get really boomy beyond step 1. As yet, I favour SL-CT790 over the current Sony range not only in terms of sound but also the fact it's made in Japan and carries a well-endowed "Class 1 Laser product" tag.

I bought my unit from Jade giftshop, Shaw Tower, Beach road. It should cost less than $250 now. I'm using it with Sony Ex70 and D66SL Eggo. Volume 12-14 out of an entire range of 30 is the loudest I listen to on the train. Beyond that, my eardrums will sound a warning beep!

Edited by Mackie

I bought mine for $190 at a shop in lucky plaza(can't remember which one).

Mackie, you'll be interested to know that with my Etys directly plugged to it, 3 out of 30 is plenty loud for me! Gotta love the isolation factor. etys.gif

With my PX100s I have to go up to 10

BTW, I really hate the tiny crappy remote that comes with the 790. It doesn't help that the buttons on the 790 body are even tinnier and crappier. I nearly wanted to buy a slimx because I love the remote that comes with it!

Edited by av98m

I'm being using it for less than a month.I found the volume quite soft.Maybe I'm going deaf soon, but i need at least 20/25 for a decent volume on PX200.

The bass/train/live all sucks!

Just a normal sound coming out from the jack sound great though.I still love my old panasonic sx410.

My 2 cents worth

why every1 entire range of volume is 30?mine only up to 25...

Edited by augustineRS

I'm being using it for less than a month.I found the volume quite soft.Maybe I'm going deaf soon, but i need at least 20/25 for a decent volume on PX200.

The bass/train/live all sucks!

Just a normal sound coming out from the jack sound great though.I still love my old panasonic sx410.

My 2 cents worth

why every1 entire range of volume is 30?mine only up to 25...

Can share where and how much you'd bought yours? TKs.

Sorry, mine is also 25 max, not 30. Got confused with my MD player.

20/25!!????!!!!!!!! Dude, thats WAY too high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find your comment abt it being soft quite interesting. You might have a faulty unit, I think 20/25 will blow up anyone's eardrums.

Edited by av98m

Zap, i got mine shipped from EBay.

S$90++.Comestically not really mint but everything else work fine.

Think alot of shops will bring the price down soon.

I was checking out the CT710/CT810.

Got some digital gain thingy.Plays MP3 too.

I thought 20/25 was too loud too! tongue.gif

My gf got a shock when she put on the headphone.

Btw if any using Koss Plug from the 790, DON'T.Find the bass unbearable.I'm a Bass Freak but that was too much

I think you had better find some way to get hold of somebody else's 790 and test it to see if you still need to turn the volume to 20/25.

If you still do, your hearing is in serious trouble. If, you stop at 12 or below, then you just have a faulty 790. I hope for your sake it is the latter.

augustine: I may be mistaken on the upper volume range limit but to listen at that kinda loudness is dangerous. I'm sure the buffer will distort at that threshold but I'm more concern about your hearing and like av98 has highlighted, also the condition of your cdp.

Mackie should be able to answer you regarding the CT790. Heard that it sounds great with the bass boost on, but thinner without. Pretty smooth sounding, but expensive.

For portable use, a META42/PIMETA amp should do the job, or maybe the PCII N@Z is selling, if not the Supermicro. Earbus have been discussed before, some of the Aiwa models, Senn MX500, or if you don't mind canalphones, Shure E2/3/5 or Etymotics ER-6/4P/S. Many say that the ER-4S + META42 = Portable Bliss...

Could someone care to do a brief rundown what's a META, PIMETA, META42, MINT META etc to a newbie? Tried to do a search here and got confused more. Thanks.

Was listen at 12 just now.I can live with it.But doesn't give me the 'Boom!' feeling.

Maybe I do have listen problems.

I actually have a damaged left ear, due to injuries, NOT loud listening.

I just have to train my ears to enjoy/get used to lower volume for details.

Was reading up an article on Head Fi bout Hearing injuries/damage too.

Pretty scary.

Sorry for the thread Hijack

I'm using the CT700, wonder how the sound compares with the CT790, anyway max volume on my PCDP is also 25, and the highest I've ever gone up to was 12. Usually its around 9/25, I'm using the Sony Ex51.