Sign in to follow this  
kenshinz

Cheap Sources

Hi all, I would most probably be flamed for this thread, but heck wouldn't hurt to ask.

I realized that a lot have been discussed about high end CDPs, and as you guys know high end usually equates to expansive. If money is not the issue, I guess it's easier to find a good but expansive CDP compared to finding a cheap but good CDP right? With quite a number of our members being students or NS personnel, I think it would be a good idea to explore the lower realms (in terms of cost) of CDP, either as an entry-level source, or a value for money player. I'm sure there is a CDP equivalent of a HP890 somewhere. yeah.gif

Actually this was partially inspired by headphonecrazy's mention of using a Shinco DVD player as a source in the other thread. Looking at all the sub $200 to $250 category DVD players flooding the market now, I wonder if anyone of them might be able to serve as an entry-level player. I know this is not as exciting as discussing players costing a few times more, but then again not many of us can truly afford those.

Disclaimers:

1) I know this is an area where what you pay is what you get, and I'm not looking to compare with players that cost a few times more. Just best performance/value within a certain price group say sub $200 to $250.

2) Its not just restricted to DVD players. It can be any type, VCD/CD/DVD players, as long as they are suitable for use as a CDP.

3) I know Rameish mentioned somewhere before that DVD players are usually not tuned to perform as CDP. But who knows, an exception might occur right?

Edited by kenshinz

For 200-250, I think Marantz CD6000OSE/LE(used) is one of the greatest contender. It performs very well and has the warm but full bodied marantz's house sound. Just a note, its top end is a little edgy/harsh.

Another decent one would be the NAD C521i. I don't have any experience with the sound but I heard it's decent given its price tag.

I am sure there are more out there but I only know of these 2 in that price bracket blush.gif

Basically getting a used cdp would give you more bang for the buck, but there's some risk involved too. But a careful inspection of the unit should eliminate that problem.

Hi,

I am glad someone brought up this topic. I also would like some feedback on similar topic but on different front. Will those below $250 or even $100+ budget/used dedicated cd player (without VCD/DVD) serve better as source compare to top of the line discman available in the market?

Would the money be better spend on a cd player if portability is not a issue? For work, would u used a cd player as source or a discman to the headphone amp if space is not a constraint? The reason I am asking is that if discman is used, either an 1/4" to RCA adaptor is needed for connection to the headphone amp the 'cheapo' adaptor will affect the performance no matter how good the i/c is (if minijack is not available on the amp) and on the other hand, to use a cable that is terminated to that configuration. But how many 'good' cable manufacturer has that sort of cable and availability in the market or even a good minijack i/c compared to the many i/cs available in the market? Would'nt a cd player source solve this problem?

Cheers

well i think cdp ... would solve a lot of problems but the problem is the space that allows you to place there and izzit safe to leave it in the office ! if for a amp you can always get a porta amp .. to replace and get some decent mini to mini interconnect to have fun !! Enjoys ! laugh.gif

kenshinz .. i think you can take Blues advise ... cos i also using the marantz CD 6000 OSE ( i got it from blues )... which is a cheaper range of players ... but very worth it for it price!!! the sound ... well is ok to me ... but there are better version like ... CD 6000 OSE KI ver ... lalala

if you like the sound ... it good !! or else how good you will never like it !! other players i not too sure .. but i think is player brand "Rotel" ( used model ) offer decent sound and prices range for it models ... just go check it out !!! happy.gif

CHEERS

N_T wub.gif

First and foremost as Robert Harley (former technical editor of Stereophile) puts it, high end sound does not always equate to high end price. In actual fact, one faces diminishing returns as prices exceed the S$2000 bracket.

Using dvdp as a music source? Been there, done that and none too successful. The most recent case being Philips DVD963SA which is a universal player for all formats, including SACD. It sounds pretty good for a dvdp but take note it costs around $900-1000.

Let's move to the budget end below $500. Most dvdps if not all are capable of 24/96 upsampling and certainly non-existant in cdps at this price bracket. Despite the superior technology, dvdp may not be able to compete with its equivalent priced counterpart in terms of musicality albeit detail retrieval may be superior.

Looking at the economic aspect of a $300 cdp and dvdp, the latter costs more to produce owing to an additional video section. In this respect, the mechanism or audio section would be skimped to compensate for the increased cost. The manufacturer also tend to give lower priority to audio quality as the product is targeted at the AV sector. It's a different course undertaken for cdp manufacturers as all efforts within the same production budget is plonked onto a design to maximise profitability and overall sound/built quality. It's always safe to assume cdp will sound better than a dvdp of the same price.

Of course, I can't deny that dvdp can be used as a music source but to achieve a certain sound quality, its rather usual the same level of sonic performance can be achieved by a cdp costing less. So when do I see the feasibility of using a dvdp as music source? If U're an avid movie fan and none too picky about sound quality (to an acceptable standard), a good dvdp like the Philips 963A is recommended as the combined cost may be cheaper than having separate video and music sources.

In regards to headphonecrazy's expedition with Shinco dvdp as music source, I take his tone as an indication his cans+amp setup sounded good even though the source is not ideal. I perceive his indication of the headroom for sound quality improvement once a better and dedicated cdp fronts this system.

As a case study, most findings favour a S$199 Marantz CD4000 cdp over a similarly priced Pioneer dvdp in forums like echoloft and xtremeplace alike.

Edited by Mackie

In regards to headphonecrazy's expedition with Shinco dvdp as music source, I take his tone as an indication his cans+amp setup sounded good even though the source is not ideal. I perceive his indication of the headroom for sound quality improvement once a better and dedicated cdp fronts this system.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Listening right now to the same setup with a borrowed Musical Fidelity X-ray 24-bit cd player. In comparison to the Shinco, the MF sounded bigger, more weight, air and added body to the same piece of music A-Bed. IMO the humble Shinco scored very close and is indeed a worthing contenter as a "cheap n good" source in my book, from the price n performance point of view.

A pic of my "dream" headamp with no less of a built-in 24/192 DAC with 4 analog + 4 digital inputs "tease". FYI it will only ship in January 2004, guess what amp this is.

rolleyes.gif

post-2-1071726304.jpg

Thank you everyone for their comments and opinions so far. I do realize that DVD players would most likely not make an ideal CDP, and I was just using them as an example as stated in my disclaimers.

The main idea I had for this thread, was to try get more exposures to cheaper CDPs that offer good entry-level performances (Players that don't cost a bomb, and would ease a newbie's entry into the world of headphones/speakers, instead of scaring them away tongue.gif )

Anyway do keep the recommendations coming in, I'm glad to see that there are some responses here and we might be able to compile a list of cheap and good CDPs. Thanks

As long as one keeps his expectation reasonable to the outlay, it should be quite satisfying to most. With due respect, a $200 dvdp player can sound better than a pcdp of the same price. As U can see, there's no rule of thumb. If U're really strapped for cash and only able to afford S$100. Keep a lookout on used dvdps like Pioneer DVD535 (highly regarded for the price) which have been transacted in the used market recently. Again, it offers 24/96 resolution. However, an additional $50 may buy U a used Marantz CD63/4000 which are more musical.

Give me any Sony or Panasonic PCDP with a true line out & I'm a happy camper.

Marantz CD4000(used) < $100. It's not bad.

Well.. There's nothing wrong with using DVD/ VCD/ LD players if you can find one that sounds good. I discovered a 'gem' in my house some time back. My 10 year old Pioneer LD player. Stock, it sounded better than my NAD c521i both in it's modded & original state.

With a few mods, it's now sounding extremely good. So that's to show that just because they're not tuned for audio-only use doesn't mean non-dedicated players can't sound good.