Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

My 1st DIY mini to mini cable!

Finally! I've bitten the bullet, I went out this morning to get some Canare F-12 1/8" mini jacks & L-2T2S Canare Cable 703 & Klotz professional microphone cable. See photo below.

I'm not going to mention how much they cost as I'm sure it is ALOT more expensive than SG knowing our accessories prices here. There was another purple coloured Canare cable, didn't note down the model number or bought that as I wanted to try these first as I believe they were recommended or used by others here before.

1461.jpg

This thread I saw on Head-Fi prompted me to have a go as the instructions was so clearly laid out with photos. Plus it is a good opportunity for me to try out my kit (see photo) which I bought & had been laying around for a few months!

Note I was only able to find this type of solder here & I still need to get a solder stand & tip cleaner as it was a big hassle to make sure I didn't leave the soldering iron lying around precariously close to anything or me!

1462.jpg

This is the finished product. Note that I will not show any images of the soldered joints as, suffice to say, they were "Cough!" huge clumps especially on the earthing! Both cables took me a little over an hour to complete from start to finish including stripping the wires, testing with a multimeter & finally testing it on my Portable rig. So far both cables works!

1464.jpg

always wanted to make my own mini to mini but not idea.

Open up one of those stock mini plug but can't understand how to solder the wire...

Nice solder iron and final product wub.gif

Nice! You've really been posting pictures non-stop since you got the camera I see. wink.gif

I've read the head-fi thread you mentioned, was tempted to try but decideded against it because of (1)laziness, (2)I have more mini-to-mini cables than I actually need...long story. Remember to bring the cables over to Singapore for us to play with.

is there a right-angle version of the plug? can't find good quality right-angle plugs in singapore.

the ones i'm using now are "ok quality"

N@Z: You might want to invest is some "audiophile" solder or at least eutectic solder. Especially the latter... It'd help prevent cold joints.

On a side note, I just finished making a mini to rca cable for my dad to use on his bedroom setup. NAD c521i to PC speakers setup (Midiland 4060). Mogami cable terminated with a pair of supposedly Neutrik RCA plugs & a Canare F-12 mini-stereo plug.

Edited by Firefox

happy.gif that nice .. after some burn in ... N@Z can post some impressions on the 2 different cables ??

Upz for N@Z

Cheers ! laugh.gif

N_T

Meh? WhatUtalkinbout Jason?!

I can't say much about how it sounds as I haven't burned them in properly yet. I've used the Klotz so far for about several hours now & it sounded a little cripser then when brand spanking new. The Canare is sounding pretty much similar to the Klotz when new. At the moment they're no better than fishball's cables. The good things is that there is no noise.

Physically the klotz is very flexible campared to the already flexible canare cable. I don't like stiff cables as it puts alot of strain on the plugs & sockets. The cables are actually quite long at the moment . I bought them in one meter lengths as they were sold. So I might end up cutting them in half & soldering the other end with another set of F-12. I'll bring the spare set along to the meet for anyone needing to get some decent cables & you all can compare the sound for yourselves (not to mention have a good laugh at my soldering skills!).

You only have to read the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph of my first post... ppth.gif We ALL kena ketuk here regardless. Why do you think we go all the way to Miri & SG to buy stuff? smoke.gif You'd probably freak out if I told you how much the F-12 cost each. So I won't tell you laugh.gif