Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Thinking of ....

getting the Senn PX200 for portable hifi.

Any pros/cons or alternatives in the price range($15+/- $100).

Does the PX200 benefit from amplification? Or will the bass overwhelm me when amplified?

Edited by cmk

I owned a pair of px200.

After 3 mths of listening and over 200++hrs, I find that it is best fit for classic rock(think november rain), strings, new age(can't really point finger on this type of genre since it is pretty much stereotyped).

For heavy rock/metal, i find the music going very 'fast' and pretty muffled(talking bout Linkin Park here).

It is pretty bassy(but i'm a bass head,so pretty alright for me).

Somehow, I find myself getting fatigue easily from listening to it and at times it created such a 'headstage' that it irritates me.I'm taking a break from listening to it to see if situation improves.

Voices of artistes actually sound pretty good, not from what i heard bout senns(correct me if i'm wrong, it's all hearsay)

I do not find the isolation level really that good(thats wat closed are for isn't it,furthermore i do listen to it quite loudly),esp in trains.

This is my noob's view and 2 cents worth.I'm prettysure some guys here can do a betta job. sleep.gif

Just to add my 0.5 cents... tongue.gif

The grados are marvellous for heavy metal/rock. Because that's the kind of music I find myself listening to more often these days when commuting, the Etys are taking a break while my sr80s have been getting plenty of use. I take back what I said about them not being suitable for portable use. I've actually gotten quite used to them. Because of the open design, I have to turn my volume knob to the 8 o'clock position. With my Etys it's 7 o'clock. This is with a headsave tempo(pimeta) with the gain set at 10. So, if you like this particular genre, you might want to audition the sr60 and sr80s at music by design. If not, then look at the other options available(px100, px200, porta pros blah blah blah etc).

Edited by av98m

Thanks AugustineRS, I don't listen to heavy metal, so I guess it should be fine. Do you use your PX200 amplified, or straight out of the hp jacks?

av98m, I guess I will have to listen to the Grados at least, before jumping into this. Are you still ok this afternoon for me to listen to your headsave?

Straight from the pcdp jack.Still looking around for an amp...

Hmmm Headsave Tempo..... sleep.gif

augustine, wishlist and cmk are coming to my place tonight to play with the headsave and other toys. perhaps you'll like to drop by tonight as well..and bring along your px200 so cmk can try them out. pm me. wink.gif

The PX-200 offers some isolation while offering reasonably good sound for the money. The Grado SR-80 is the real budget champ here but at S$170 is indeed in a different price category. I's also open in design and offers no isolation.

If you need some isolation (from commuting noise) then the PX-200 is the choice. If you need more isolation than what the PX-200 offers, then you really need to go up the price bracket (the ultimate is of course the Ety).

Cheap open headphones yet portable would be the KSC-35 (at about S$75 - S$80 including shipping from the US).

Did try out the Grado GR60 at Music By Design. On their CEC setup, it definitely sounds good, though I did detect a hint of brightness. If you guys want to audition the Grados, I'd suggest you bring your own source along for a more realistic audition. I don't have a portable source yet.

Went straight to Hung Bros and listened to the ER6, PX200 and the KSC55. I tot the ER6 was bass light and therefore did not suit my taste. The KSC55 was a bit better, but the highs were more prominent. The PX200 had the most bass of the lot, though the highs were nothing to shout about. Mids were nice with decent separation. I felt that the PX200 had the best mix of portability and musicality, so I got a set.

Immediately went up a floor to try the Cmoy Var, again I still didn't have a source, but from the brief audition through his MP3 player, there was plenty of gain. Sounded dynamic, punchy and had good drive. As I wasn't familar with the music, I couldn't form a conclusive opinion. Certainly worth another audition.

Dropped by av98m's house, who happens to be my neighbour! Talk about small world. We, wishlist, av98 and myself, had a swell of a time. It was a mini meet with lots of gear all around. Wishlist will provide further updates once he gets to his pc.

And they got to see my cramped and messy room, which on its best day still looks like its been hit by a hurricane. tongue.gif

wishlist will have a couple of interesting pics to post shortly.

av98m

What's the brand name of Wishlist PCDP? Iriver? Do you know where to get one?

What's the market price for it?

Thanks

Iriver slimx, the slightly older model, he said he paid about $250 for it, I think. Thinking of getting one myself actually...I've seen plenty at sim lim square

Edited by av98m

Great! I'll pop by SLS this afternoon to get one. Thanks.

Found it matches quite well with the PX200.

Edited by cmk

CMK, av98m sorry for the delay posting of the pics, just got my camera back.

Here are some pics of the mess we created while at av98m place, I guess all of us enjoyed the session.

It's my dream student room to have party.gif

A little summary of the stuff that we tried.

(av98m, help me to list the models number. Still new to headphone stuff, I might provide te wrong info )

Headphones: Grados, Sennheisser, beyerdynamic, etymotic ...

Source: iRiver SlimX, Panasonic, NAD.

Amp: Headsave Tempo, Mint ?, Musical Fidelity X-cans.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

hahahaaa!! it was sure a mess! I see also blur already, I think your description good enough. tongue.gif I think Naz can recognize his old charlie brown mint(mated to a dilbert battery pack) in the photo, as well as the dt250s. The panasonic is a 790. not in the photo are the nad 541i, dt150 and xcans v3. there sure are a lot of plainviews lying around! tongue.gif

Edited by av98m