Sign in to follow this  
Gahman

Best portable headphones/earbuds

Thanks for all your recommendations! I finally bought an EX71 from Hung Bros today at $79. My first impressions:

Isolation is fantastic. I used to listen at full volume on my mp3 player whenever I'm in crowded places, bus, train. Now with this earphone I can turn down to half volume! And walking around SLS with their loud music blaring I can still clearly hear my music. Very impressed with it.

Comfort wise it feels a bit like the SAF ear plugs, but softer and more comfortable. Definitely more comfortable than my old regular Sony earplugs which never fit my ears well and were painful to wear after 10 mins. (Too big for my ears)

Unfortunately the sound quality isn't much to crow about. Mid-ranges sound a bit soft compared to the highs, and bass was also weak. Surprised about the bass, since I read in headfi forums that the bass was over-strong. For example, I listened to Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton and the guitars sounded very clear and bright, but the vocals in comparison were soft and slightly muddled.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase since my primary concern was with isolation and saving my hearing! However if you just want good sound quality, then look elsewhere.

Try not to judge the cans immediately after purchase. They usually take a couple of hours at least to run in, and probably after a week to sound their best.

red_ryder, perhaps we can meet at Raffles Place one day to pit your EX71 against my modded EX70. Is that the place we met previously? In the meantime, enjoy your isolation and let the buds run in for a while. I'm on ICT Jan 19-26.