Sign in to follow this  
Gahman

Best portable headphones/earbuds

Heyy all, just wanted everyone's opinion on which cans or plugs would u recommend for portable listening.

Here are my 2 cents. I currently own Senn HD 212 pro and PX 200. I've owned the senn mx 500 before.

What i feel is the MX 500s are like Mighty mouse, small but mighty!!! The clarity is amazing and they sound really good for 30- 40 bucks!!! Transparent sound, don't look down on them cos they're cheap!

The HD 212 pros are really suitable for teens and people who go for detail. Teens because of the bass levels. Really high! blink.gif Plus the isolation is so good!!! I almost got into so many accidents cos I couldn't hear cars from the rear coming beside me! I'm serious!! I was walking home along my street, and as i decided to look behind me, I got shocked that a car just glided past me. blink.gif

As for the px 200, they sound great though i'm not too used to the sound as it has better mids and highs, then bass. Actually, I take that back, the bass is really good too... But i want MORE!!! possibly has to do with my previous headphones. rolleyes.gif

Anyways, thoughts?? Also, if anyone can recommend me a good portable CD player that would be helpful too!

Well I recommend the Sony DEJ2000 Discman....it doesn't haf all that new features, MP3s and whatnots, but it produces a great sound and it can drive a headphone pretty damn good. I used a Grado SR80 with those and it sounded great. As for portable headphones, the only ones I use are Grados and they are great!! May wanna consider spending extra money on one of those. The SR80s easily beat a pair of $500 speakers. Hope that helped.

Hey there! I intend to get both the MX500 and PX200 tomorrow. From what I heard off the Head-Fi.org forums, the PX200 has heavier bass and poorer sound quality compared to the PX100 because it's closed. But then again, I'll be using the PX200 quite a lot on the MRT so... Hey wait a min- I'll be using it at home on the computer too. sad2.gif

Can anyone please recommend where to get the Senns above? And whether to get the 100 or 200, if budget's not a concern.

Thanks so very much! smile.gif

Can anyone please recommend where to get the Senns above? And whether to get the 100 or 200, if budget's not a concern.

Try out both at Hung Brothers and see what you like best. It can be quite noisy there at times, so if you find that the PX100 still sounds ok, and you like the sound then get the PX100, if not then go for the PX200 biggrin.gif

I've not heard the PX100 before, but I quite like the sound of the PX200.

Anyway, guys, I think me gonna get this IRiver IMP 150. It's got so many features!!! Plays mp3 AND WMA and I get software upgrades off the net!!! Only thing is, it's not as good as the other Iriver 350 i wanna get, but cheaper.

Actually, I can get my hands on a 350 at relatively the same price but it would be 2nd hand with no warranty...

ohmy.gif How?? no.gif

iRiver firmware upgrade is one of the reason i got them.not to mentioned the quality of the product and sound.

Just a note, since the imp150 is pretty old model,the memory space for firmware upgrade will be limited.

If i'm not wrong,they are pretty far out in the upgrade package.Therefore, future supoort of other codec might not be available to you, thats one of the liability.

imp150 have 2 version, one is 8mb(type 1) the other is 16mb(type 2).So if you are getting one betta ask.

imp550 is available in hardwaresone at $270(i got mine at $250 used and sold at $250(after 3mths of abuse). tongue.gif

I sold the imp550 mainly due to on the player itself, there's no way you can control the player,all control is in the super powerful remote.But once the remote spoilt, thats the end.

If not under warranty gotta order from Hong Kong at USD30++ excluding shipping.

IMO,

I actually think is betta if u go for the imp400.Slim and got everything u need.Factory firmware is pretty updated too...

This what i know bout iRiver, i'm really mpress with their quality.

I'm sure those that have a taste of it really like it.

iRiver IMP400 + Senn PX200 = very good portable music

No need for amplification IMO.

Edited by cmk

The iRiver PCDPs are great in terms of features and firmware upgradibility, but their sound quality is really mediocre IMHO. In fact, I found the IMP-550 harsh-sounding, esp. in comparison with my vintage sony D-5A and my friend's D-777. It's an excellent PCDP, but nowhere near great. wink.gif

Lets leave the great ones out of the picture. sleep.gif

nowadays is all abt long battery life

The iRiver PCDPs are great in terms of features and firmware upgradibility, but their sound quality is really mediocre IMHO. In fact, I found the IMP-550 harsh-sounding, esp. in comparison with my vintage sony D-5A and my friend's D-777. It's an excellent PCDP, but nowhere near great. wink.gif

If you are going for the meet, think you could bring along the D777? I'd like to have a listen.

I'm afraid I can't because it's my friend's. Anyway, lekguan and maybe a few others might be able to bring theirs. Have fun guys.