Sign in to follow this  
Gahman

Best portable headphones/earbuds

av98m: well the px is much cheaper, i guess tongue.gif try sls, red_ryder. much more variety and more competitive prices (i think). before you buy, i advise you to check out the pricelist on this forum. cheers smile.gif

For the best isolation vs cost and very forgiving on sound quality, U might wanna try Sony EX51/71.

I just went to my neighbourhood shop and saw the Sony Ex 51. Unfortunately, the cord is too short! only 0.5m. Is there a long cord version?

I'm not sure if EX51 comes with longer cord but EX71 comes with one.........look for the prefix "LP" to confirm.

Mackie its a suffix SL.

EX51 is SP. There is a LP 1.5m version available if you can find US stock.

LP is 1 single 1.2m cord no extension.

Thanks for all your recommendations! I finally bought an EX71 from Hung Bros today at $79. My first impressions:

Isolation is fantastic. I used to listen at full volume on my mp3 player whenever I'm in crowded places, bus, train. Now with this earphone I can turn down to half volume! And walking around SLS with their loud music blaring I can still clearly hear my music. Very impressed with it.

Comfort wise it feels a bit like the SAF ear plugs, but softer and more comfortable. Definitely more comfortable than my old regular Sony earplugs which never fit my ears well and were painful to wear after 10 mins. (Too big for my ears)

Unfortunately the sound quality isn't much to crow about. Mid-ranges sound a bit soft compared to the highs, and bass was also weak. Surprised about the bass, since I read in headfi forums that the bass was over-strong. For example, I listened to Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton and the guitars sounded very clear and bright, but the vocals in comparison were soft and slightly muddled.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase since my primary concern was with isolation and saving my hearing! However if you just want good sound quality, then look elsewhere.

I hate to say this, but I think its going for $69 at the sony shop on 2nd floor. but since you already bought it.. just enjoy it and dun think too much about it. wink.gif

no worries... life is too short to be upset over such things. laugh.gif

Your ears will get use to the plugs after a while, then it will fit better, initially it might feel that none of the 3 sizes fit nicely, but the medium one will usually feel right after a while. And like lekguan it does not give you total sound isolation, it just cuts down. I can still hear people talking on the bus and mrt.

Unfortunately the sound quality isn't much to crow about. Mid-ranges sound a bit soft compared to the highs, and bass was also weak.

EX70 has the same sonic signature and a mod actually works to improve this aspect. This mod comprises of removing the paper cover with pin hole and replace with foam. Cut to width and size sparingly; just enough to fill the circumference of the driver cylinder. However, I'm not sure if the same job can be done on EX71.

the mod for the ex71 is filling up the holes on the back with blutack, and if you like the change in sound, removing the blutack and replacing it with superglue.

I've done both on EX70, and there's no turning back. definitely nothing to regret. But will it work on EX71 is the only problem. So I think you should try using blu tack. As for the mod mackie mentioned, I think you better not risk it on a EX71.