Sign in to follow this  
Gahman

Best portable headphones/earbuds

OT. Not joining us at the meets Absolute0? wink.gif

I guess not, but still, I'm sure you guys will have lots of fun. headphone.gif

Ok guys, I finally bought the IRIVER IMP 150, and all that I can say is that it's great, or great to me as I'm not asking for features like the slimness, or the FM radio. I've used it with my PX 200s and the quality bypasses mediocre. My only gripe is the lack of Rechargable batteries and large power consumption if I play CDs. Looks like I'm gonna go get me-self Rechargable batteries and charger...

Plus point for the IRIVERs, which I have yet to see in other portable players, is the ability to personalise the EQ. Sure it has presets, but I prefer to make shape my sound.

Any portable cheap closed headphones to recommend? My priority is isolation and price, not so much on quality of sound. I mostly listen to spoken audiobooks anyway and not music on my mp3 player, but travelling on the bus along the AYE forces me to listen at full volume with my current earbuds.

For the best isolation vs cost and very forgiving on sound quality, U might wanna try Sony EX51/71.

How much does the Sony EX cost? Looking at the design, it appears to be more isolated than the Senn. Is that right?

Isolation is really quite important for me, you can't imagine how noisy and loud travelling on a bus along the AYE is.

Heyy all, just wanted everyone's opinion on which cans or plugs would u recommend for portable listening.

Here are my 2 cents. I currently own Senn HD 212 pro and PX 200. I've owned the senn mx 500 before.

What i feel is the MX 500s are like Mighty mouse, small but mighty!!! The clarity is amazing and they sound really good for 30- 40 bucks!!! Transparent sound, don't look down on them cos they're cheap!

The HD 212 pros are really suitable for teens and people who go for detail. Teens because of the bass levels. Really high! blink.gif Plus the isolation is so good!!! I almost got into so many accidents cos I couldn't hear cars from the rear coming beside me! I'm serious!! I was walking home along my street, and as i decided to look behind me, I got shocked that a car just glided past me. blink.gif

As for the px 200, they sound great though i'm not too used to the sound as it has better mids and highs, then bass. Actually, I take that back, the bass is really good too... But i want MORE!!! possibly has to do with my previous headphones. rolleyes.gif

Anyways, thoughts?? Also, if anyone can recommend me a good portable CD player that would be helpful too!

Good portable headphones :

SONY EGGO D66SL

- pretty accurate headphones, bass may not be convincing but its there, sounds like good subwoofers

- they wear on your head better than the ear pieces like ETYs or the behind the ear earphones

- they are comfortable, looks like closed headphones, but they actually leak a bit (something like 90% closed 10% opened). This means that you can still kinda of hear the car behind you (beeping at you of course), I think Sony did this for safety reason though I don't think it affects the overall performance

- not too cheap, not too expensive

- easy to maintain, well compared to the bigger and cheaper Phillips phones, but I have found the paint to be peeling off mine now

Good portable player :

CREATIVE MP3/WMA player

- I have no experiences with Creative products, but I think this is one of the better music-on-the-go products that you can buy

- the jukebox is probably the best for people who need to carry a lot of music

I used to want to buy the CD walkman that could play CDs with MP3s on them, but they are too bulky for me now.

I used my handphone which has a 256 SD card (upgradable to 512mb), it records via optical from my computer or MD so the sound is not so bad. That is probably the best portable solution for me. The only thing that's bulky are my headphones.

How much does the Sony EX cost? Looking at the design, it appears to be more isolated than the Senn. Is that right?

Isolation is really quite important for me, you can't imagine how noisy and loud travelling on a bus along the AYE is.

I can imagine all right. Worse if you're on a bus with TV Mobile($#@!!)

Unfortunately, the only cans I've found so far that work in such an environment are the Etys and DT250s, both of which are not cheap. I've tried a colleague's px200 but just didn't like it.

I'd advise against using open headphones on a noisy bus and pushing the volume up to defeat the surrounding noise. Not going to be good for your hearing.

av98m, can you elaborate on why you didn't like the Px200?

I also know that pushing the volume up is bad, that's why I decided to buy an isolated headphone.

I can't quite put into words why I disliked it. I tried it the first time at somebody's house, then later when a colleague bought a pair I had it for 2 days. Still didn't like it.

It's a matter of individual taste however, I know people who hate the Etys and DT250s as well. tongue.gif

cheap isolation-> Koss Plug with Etys foamies.

Quite bassy but sound more decent than Sony Ex.

Guys, I heard that the philips expanium EXP521 surpasses the iRiver iMP in head out. And its cost? $199 RRP. Hm worth it to check out....

For the best isolation vs cost and very forgiving on sound quality, U might wanna try Sony EX51/71.

I just went to my neighbourhood shop and saw the Sony Ex 51. Unfortunately, the cord is too short! only 0.5m. Is there a long cord version?