Sign in to follow this  
augustineRS

Sound Blaster Exitgy 24bit/96kHz/100db SNR

I'm always switching between a Desktop and Notebook so I was wondering whether a USB 'soundcard' will be beneficial.

I do not have a decent soundcard on my desktop.

So i'm wondering whether USB soundcard can be decent?

Listen straight from the headphone jack have major distortion, so i decided on getting something extra to juice up my music.

Since the creative sale is just over, alot of cheap creative products can be found in the market passing off as used.

From wat i know, alot of the refurbished sets are actually products that didn't passed the QC initially, being reworked on, therefore cheaper and shorter warranty.

Soundbalster Extigy

Audigy2 NX

whats the difference between the 2?I can't really tell and i'm a noob in this.

Correction i see the difference between the two from the comparision chart, but is either one worth the $$$?NX have more function, ie dvd-audio playback, mainly NX support multi chanel more 6.1, 7.1

Any other suggestion?

Something i read from a reviewer

The DVD Audio, played with Creative's own MediaSource DVD-Audio player, was particularly crisp though the 24 bit onboard encoding/decoding is disabled due to a Windows limitation on USB support.

what does this mean?

Edited by augustineRS

I was considering the M Audio Sonica at one time for both my PC & mac... for the PC it's ok since it's stationary but on my Powerbook I don't want to reduce it's portability as it needs an external power source. It might work for you though.

Anyway where to find all these USB soundcards in Singapore ? I've been looking around SLS, and all I've seen are Creative products mellow.gif

The price is way too much difference. ohmy.gif

But the RCA and DTS look tempting.

Whats the price like in Singapore?

OT:is there any way to hook up a notebook to TV for screen projection?

This might be a little OT: Anyone knows whether such a thing exist - a PCIMCA card with a true line out only i.e. ampless. I want to use it with my own portable amp.

OT:is there any way to hook up a notebook to TV for screen projection?

If your notebook have S-video output, then should be able to connect straight away

There might also be some standalone converters which can convert RGB to svideo/composite.

Edited by lekguan

okay.guess i'll make a trip down SLS.

is there any shop there that carry m-audio or terratec products?

just a look see b4 i settle on anything.

m-audio for the RCA and DTS but the creative is real tempting bcos of the price.

augustineRS, you can also try to go HWZ HT forum. some people there might know exactly what converters to recommend.

thanks.

Back to the USB audio cards,

1.Singapore can get the m-audio or terratec products?

2.Anybody use the Creative product before?

3.About the laptop to TV, mine has a 15-pin female that is label as TV/monitor out, what type of cable is this?Does it terminate as RCA(with or without audio?)?

Thanks

15 pin sounds like VGA. If it's a combination like you said, then there might be a connector for you to connect to it and terminate in S-Video or RCA (composite).

Regards

CK

Extigy can be used as a standalone unit, which mean it can be power up and using as a decoder without connecting to PC. The limitation is it only do Dolby Digital decoding, no DTS.

Audigy 2 NX have 7.1 output [vs 5.1 output of Extigy], much compact size. But the limitation is it must connecting to PC, though it got separate power adaptor. DVD-Audio is supported when Microsoft updates their USB 2.0 driver for audio streaming as well as an update in the driver from Creative.

Harvey Fong from Creative Newsgroup did mention the updates are available from both Microsoft and Creative. You got to download both and installed them before u can fully enjoy ur DVD-Audio.

I think i'll go with the Creative, just to save abit $$$.

I want to get a good CDP & amp in coming months

Below is the link for of a comparison chart,

if you guys have the time, just help me look through and think which one is more worth it.

As, master have mentioned, the thing about Audigy2 NX is that it req'd the usb to be plugged in for it to be operational, which rather a pain in the ass if i'm gonna use it on other game consoles/sources.

Extigy Vs Audigy2 NX Vs SoundBlaster Digital Music

Current offer made to me is

Audigy2 NX - $180(from Creative Sale)

Extigy - $115(Same)

All prices before haggle/bargain/begging.