Rameish

Is there any added value to doing Grado reviews?

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks to El,

I revisited the Grado Labs website and realized that Grado Headphones has gotta be if not the most then one of the most numerous reviewed headphone brand. Almost all models have multiple reviews and some have four from major hi-fi magazines. Combine this with numerous opinions on headwize and head-fi I feel it's pointless for me (a Grado dealer) to post any reviews. However, I may be wrong. So, help me out and vote please.

You can visit http://www.gradolabs.com/frameset_reviews.htm click on the model number. The review will then pop up from the respective magazine like Stereophile, What Hi-Fi?, Hi-Fi Choice, Hi-Fi News and Record Review, Absolute Sound, Gramaphone and more, much more.

So is there really a need for me to review at all.

Please note reviews are very time consuming - esp comparing between two next door models like a SR-125 vs SR-225 comparison as there is only one Grado sound that improves as you go up the ladder.

I would consider it a fruitful venture only to people who are on a tight budget and wonder if that extra amount of money for a higher end model would bring better performance. I would suggest adding lower end sources like cd player headphones output & portable devices. Ultimately it really depends on the goal of the 'shootout' and how large a target audience you are likely to receive.

Though i have not critically listened to any of the models, I feel I have a good idea of whats going on across the range. Grado Labs is after all a commercial company. Delivering such a large range of models in diff price tags was to target all market groups from the portable toteing audio concious teen to the hardcore can head. I'm sure what you get as you upgrade to more $$$ models are; Increased transperancy, wider frequency range, tighter bass, sweeter n sweeter highs, more details and more accurate sound stage.

hey Rameish, its always interesting to read a review from "one of us". I understand that you may think its biased, but let us decide for ourselves how much salt to take with what we read. I say - bring it on! yes.gif

yeap i remembered ablaze said that you actually had some sort of a review already typed in your computer? i might be wrong.

it was a HP-1 vs RS-1 thing. but I think Rameish's flipping back and forth between the two still happy.gif

Yes & no..

Personally I don't think anymore reviews are required, unless you feel like doing it then by all means. What I do think would be more useful is to have reviews of the other models in the range which get little attention. More fruitful is the comparison to other equivalent priced/designed headphones & what application they are used in.

Rameish,

I don't think you are obliged to do any reviews at all. Some people just like to listen, not talk about their equipment. Being a dealer should not force you to have to talk about the headphones; you should be free to just listen and be happy. cool.gif

It's my opinion that we should always treat dealers like regular fellas, 'cause that's what they are. headphone.gif

I think reviews are useful for people who are looking to get their first serious headphone but simply have no idea given the dizzying no. of recs and choices.

Having said that, however, I think lengthy - about 1000-1500 words - reviews are also a little extreme. I usually just scan for the parts where the reviewer expresses his opinion: like / don't like, and then I scan for a summary of his reasons (usually at the end).

Hence, reviews about Grados or any other established headphones should still keep coming, if only for the benefit of those just joined the community. I definitely remember how I relied strongly on reviews from Headroom and Head-Fi before I got my SR60s. biggrin.gif

Happy listening, y'all.

Thanks guys. I'm not voting on this one but it's nice to know. Yeah, I'm still a regular guy but being a dealer and rep. does bias things. I'll try to be as unbiased as possible. A short comparison between SR-60 and SR-80 is coming up soon.

Once again thanks to all esp El Scorcho (for leading me to explore the Grado website and discovering all the reviews) and Ablaze and N@Z for allowing reviews to be done.

Rameish: I don't think there's a need to review all the Grado cans that come within your grasp but if the sound of a certain product is compelling enough for U to write one, it will be an interesting read. U don't have to produce a "pro" review as required by blackadder, just your opinions will do. In any case, it remains dubious if hifi mag reviewers are completely impartial. After all, a business is a business.

Mackie,

Ya I guess. I just did a SR-60 vs SR-80 comparison. To me these 2 cans are in the same price bracket but to others they may not. Anyways, I just compared the RS-1 to the SR-325 - basically to see if I got my money's worth. All I will say for now is the resolution. Maybe you could bring your DT-880 over. When I heard it, I was immediately impressed by the grit it had esp when compared to the Senn HD-600. Look forward to your comparison.