Gouki

Sony models

user posted image

wow I didnt know those cd3000s are so huge. the AKG k1000 looks puny in comparison. sony must have believed that big=value for money. the r10s were huge too. or is it smaller than the cd3000?

the r10s are the same size, and a slightly different shape I think. their size might be integral to their sound yes.gif

As some of you may know, Japanese stuff could sometime sound bright, eg. i have auditioned a few Sony's CD Players, including the famous X5000 and XA7ES and find them to be generally on the bright side. Not sure if this is due to the general listening preference of the Japanese audiophile or that it always needs more laid-back pairing equipment such as tube amps and copper interconnects to tone down the brightness. On the other hand, most british/italian equipment are more tuned towards mellow sounding with less emphasis on the sonic dynamics. Hence, i am most interested to know how R10 performs based on feedback from our own cans-men's assessment. I think this is also somehow linked to the type of source materials we are exposed to. Frankly speaking, listening is a private experience but if we could have experts relate their experience with reference to specific listening matierals / sound tracks, then i think young cans-men like me would be able to benefit and learn most... wink.gif

Yikes, that will definitely swallow up Kylie!

But seriously, the Americans on the other hand prefer a more Dynamic sound in all the ranges. With headphones you can totally escape from the outside world without bothering anyone, unless you don't count yourself ignoring people as an annoyance to anyone! "Just 5 more minutes ma...!"

yes, i tend to agree with your ideas... in fact, i think listening to headphones after midnite is the best. Quiet room, sentimental songs and gentle breeze .... i am enjoying it thoroughly right now... on Elaine Chang's Bangawan Solo from her latest album Love Longing (HUGO XRCD). Her audiophile voicing with the mellow sax interplaying was very well recorded, all the ambience was there....seldom have this experience from live recording. wink.gif

Yes I found the 3000 to be big, but it is reasonable. However, it appears to be quite fragile. You guys better be careful with it and don't drop it! The demo set at the shop was broken, I will take some pictures when I go there next time (perhaps this week?). The R10 was not there, but its not hard to find if you ask for one :-)

I have been reading head-fi.org and had found one thread comparing the 7506 and the 3000. It appears that the 3000 is a superior phone to the 7506 in every way. I have also been reading a bit about the R10. I can afford to buy it, but not the high end amps or whatever (I don't have a lot of space in my place nor do I wish to carry them all over the place). The R10 is the king of the Sony phones and with a price of 350,000 yen, it had better be!!! The 3000 and R10 seems to have similar specifications, but built with different materials (both are the same size).

Many have praised the 7506, it was suppose to be on top of my list actually. But the 3000 seems to be the better can and cheaper in the long run (ie. I don't need to progress as much up the headphone chain). Currently I'm reviewing the differences between the Senn. 600 and Sony 3000. After my next visit to that shop, I will let you guys know on the outcome (and some photos!).

Almost forgot to add, the EGGOS 66 have gotten my respect now. Despite its cumbersome nature, it is a razor sharp and enjoyable. Bass may be lacking for the bassheads but the sounds are fairly precise for the setup that I have (PDA, PC - no amps).

For the money, get it! You won't be disappointed!

Hi Gouki, since you are in Japan why not try out the AT W1000. I have the Sony CD3000 and I find it heavy wacko.gif on the head a bit discomfort if listening sit up long but not while laying down on the bed. whistling.gif

If you got the money go for the Sony R10. w00t.gif

Gouki,

Is it possible for you to help me some MD blanks, if you happen to see them. It's from Maxell and they glow in the dark. Thanks.

I have been reading head-fi.org and had found one thread comparing the 7506 and the 3000. It appears that the 3000 is a superior phone to the 7506 in every way. I have also been reading a bit about the R10. I can afford to buy it, but not the high end amps or whatever (I don't have a lot of space in my place nor do I wish to carry them all over the place). The R10 is the king of the Sony phones and with a price of 350,000 yen, it had better be!!! The 3000 and R10 seems to have similar specifications, but built with different materials (both are the same size).

Many have praised the 7506, it was suppose to be on top of my list actually. But the 3000 seems to be the better can and cheaper in the long run (ie. I don't need to progress as much up the headphone chain). Currently I'm reviewing the differences between the Senn. 600 and Sony 3000. After my next visit to that shop, I will let you guys know on the outcome (and some photos!).

Somewhat unfair comparison considering the 7506 is only a fraction of the cost of the CD3K. Anyhoo, we await your comparison between the HD600 & CD3K with great anticipation.

Hi Gouki,

Could you please also provide us with the names and addresses of the shops that sell both CD3000 and R10, so that my friend could try them out before buying. As most of us may know, we experience diminishing return on marginal utilities when moving from Mid-end to Hi-end gears in hi fi with prices leaping in quantum, the same should apply for headphones i believe. So i am trying to see (and hear of course) how large are the deltas between CD3000 and R10 in terms of sonic improvements and the justification on prices, vis-a-vis Grado RS-2, Beyer DT880 and the likes. wink.gif

Gouki: they're not really fragile lah. at least, not from regular handling. try dropping any of the other high end headphones and see if they crack sleep.gif go for the R10s! hehe..well, only if you want to see if they live up to the expectation of the "King of headphones" yeah.gif

Barradio: closet CD3000s user! how do you find the sound so far? yes.gif

Hi ablaze, the CD3000 had lower bass frequency than the RS-1. If I sitting up sufing/working on the computer

I prefer the RS-1 more comfortable for me.whistling.gif

I am using the Micro-Zolt (Ken-rad VT-231 and unkown 3 micra 12AT7WA tubes) for the headphones stereo.gif

While still running in my RS-2, i have already discovered its warm sonic signature, full-bodied sounds with very good clarity. Would like to compare it with CD3K one day, not just on the bass, but also the neutrality, balanced musicality and transparency wink.gif