Sign in to follow this  
yekim

akg 271s

hi, i wanted to get a feel of how you folks would rate akg 271s. i love my senn 600 and grado 80 but have an itch to get something different - i cant rationalise this - its one of those things addicts do i guess party.gif

another reason that prompts me to consider the 271s is that its a sealed design - useful in that i will not be disturbing my wife if i plan on some late night into the early hours listening session - the senn and the grado leaks a fair bit, the grado more so than the senn.

thanks

y

I'm interested to know too. Since U've raised the query and coupled with your experience with HD600 and SR80, perhaps U could audition it and then compare notes with those who have a venture with AKG271.

It might also benefit U if U could openly ask for recommendations on close-back cans within a specified price bracket. U could audition these along with AKG271 and find one that suits your taste. happy.gif

mackie, thanks for the response - i auditioned it very briefly once and found it 'different' in a nice way from hd600 and grado 80 but it was, as said, a very brief audition. i am hoping that those who own this can give their views. if i do get the opportunity to audition it, i will post my views.

as for a price range, i reckon anywhere up to $400.00.

my taste in music is a rojak of sorts - 70's soul - think tower of power, brass construction, o jays, isley brothers etc, to rock - u2, steely dan, alan parsons etc, mainstream, thirdstream, avantgarde and progressive jazz - think john coltrane, miles, oscar peterson, pat metheny, john scofield, matthew shipp steve coleman etc to classical - albeniz to zoltan kodaly. this may help in narrowing down recommendations.

thanks party.gif

Edited by yekim

In which case, U already have a rather open sounding HD600 for classical and jazz genres. I propose a neutral sounding closed-back cans for complete isolation. Beyer DT150 fits the bill and comes highly recommended. Lesser in my book of recommendations are Beyer DT250, DT770. U might also wanna try the new Beyer Premium Line DT660 which I see much potential. Once again, I reiterate all these are closed back cans. I would provide another list if u wish to seek open and semi-open designs.

NB: I have much experience with Beyer cans over the other makes and thus the spate of these on my list.

Edited by Mackie

AKG 271S is S$250. Compared to AKG 501/HD 600 and being a closed headphone, it sounds rather "closed" with a smaller headstage. Overall it sounds rather nice, has a rather smooth sound. Bass is reasonably good. But as the earcups are covered with pleather, it makes your ears pretty warm after a short while.

Regards

CK

I was interested in a pair of these too at one point until I got the DT150!

um toddthevinyljunkie.com has the k271 for like $170.. so does djmart.com and meier-audio.de has them for $205 (that's with free world wide shipping for meier-audio.de.) when ya'll talk about prices... what area's are you buying them from? (they seem very high to me).

oh.. and are there any velour style pads that could go on the k271?

Edited by MERTON

Hi Merton, welcome to sgheadphones. we're a singapore-based site, so the prices we talk about are in Singapore Dollars, not USD wink.gif

oh.. and will anyone here be able to directly compare the k271 and the ultrasone hfi 700 (650 dvd)?