Sign in to follow this  
Nova

Recomendation for Headphone Amp

Hi pple, I'm a newbie here looking for an amp to drive my soon-to-receive grados. I'm not really sure if there is a need to look for an amp in the first place... just hope that the gurus ard can provide some advise.

Some background info, I'm absolutely lost when it comes to amp. The only thing I know about amp is that it drives up the waves...keke (even then I also dun know what is it for). I will be using it for my portable mp3 player (an Iriver) and probably a stationary denon CDP (still pending). I looking for something not too expensive but dun want to compromise my new headphone capability at the same time... Is there any suggestions? Thanx in advance tongue.gif

denon cdp is a CD Player by denon. biggrin.gif

Nova, the grados 80 are a pair of very easy to drive cans. From what I've read, the lower end grados do not benefit much from better amplification. Wait until u have upgraded to higher end cans like maybe grado 225 and other brand of headphone before considering amps.

i'll be building an amp for the SR80 smile.gif may not be a clone Ra-1, i'll try out different configuration to see which sounds the best on the SR80.

but til now there's only 4 confirmed takers (paid in full) for the SR80 powerbuy (including myself) so the deal may not go though mellow.gif

Just want to relate my experience with the SR80s. I borrowed them from my neighbour and tested them out with the Melos and a Yamaha RX-V1400(new AV receiver) and it sounds good, no in fact, very good with both. I even thought the Yamaha did a better job at driving the SR80s and this is a AV receiver(a very fully equipped one at that).

Soundwise, my brief run down on it is, its transparent, reveiling of its source. The open cans gives a slightly more distant soundstage, still with lots of detail. Its not full bodied type of sound, as the bass is a little light-weight. However, it does go low and hits those notes, just that you won't think its a disco. In this respect, not recommended for bright sounding sources or cables. For the price, it represents excellent value. My only complaints are : slightly bass light, not too comfortable(but not uncomfortable), cable is short.

happy.gif Hey lengcm, do u have any idea how a clone like RA-1 cost? And the real thing?

Rameish, is it really that bad? I mean the amp for Mp3. Is there any alternatives beside RA-1? I have the impression, its not going to come cheap. no.gif

cmk, thank you for sharing your experience with the Grados. Actually I haven tested any Grados before, just wanted to get a pair of decent cans... And when I saw the forum, there are quite a lot of positive reviews on it. So when Tropicalrips and Rameish org the powerbuy, I tot why not? biggrin.gif

Unfortunately for me yes. MP3 are bad no matter what compression. I would say only use the Grado RA-1 with your home CDP. There's an RA-1 on sale in the classifieds.

Use RA-1 for walkman? You're kiddin rite? lol.gif

I stand with Rameish on MP3, if you are serious about music, stick with CDs or hi-res digital. In addition, with cans you can get so much detail which most spk setups cannot.

Further follow up on the SR80s : went west and tested them with the "yellow pads", which not only improve on comfort, but do enhance bass(slightly). Definitely worth getting. For further details, check with Rameish. tongue.gif The one thing about the Grados, is because of its high efficiency, it imparts a sense of liveliness to the music.

Nova, do drop by MBD and have a listen for yourself with your own CDs. Of course remember that they are using pretty high end equipment for their source. It does however, give you an idea of what can be achieved with the Grados with the right equipment.

happy.gif Hey lengcm, do u have any idea how a clone like RA-1 cost? And the real thing?

Rameish, is it really that bad? I mean the amp for Mp3. Is there any alternatives beside RA-1? I have the impression, its not going to come cheap. no.gif

cmk, thank you for sharing your experience with the Grados. Actually I haven tested any Grados before, just wanted to get a pair of decent cans... And when I saw the forum, there are quite a lot of positive reviews on it. So when Tropicalrips and Rameish org the powerbuy, I tot why not? biggrin.gif

The cost of the grado RA1 clone will depend on the parts used.

Well, I built one RA1 clone for Fishball and I dare say that it is relatively transparent for the price. Used them with me olde Senn HD320 and was much better (being relative again) than direct from CDP hp output before it went away. I guess its the better analogue output stage from the CDP as compared to the hp section. As a result, the RA1 clone delivered a colourless presentation. I could easily discern the failings of my elcheapo CDP. Something that a dedicated pre-power-speaker combo would otherwise mask. Mada me do a rethink on hp. Hey, do I sound like a reviewer? biggrin.gif

Edited by DIYerStraits

Hey, do I sound like a reviewer? 

Well U used to be one! However, I think many might not know of this fact in this forum.