Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Sellers: Do you entertain returns of your goods?

I sold off my subwoofer yesterday to a guy from xtremeplace, he tested and auditioned it at my house, was happy with it and bought it. Today he calls and wants a refund because he hears "rattling" sounds coming from it when testing at home. I've never heard any rattling sounds, and apparently neither did he during the audition. How can I accept the item back when anything could have happened to it from then to now? He could have dropped it or damaged it in some other way...

What do you guys think? Should I refund the money?

Moved to the lounge.

exactly- how can you accept when anything could have happened? explain to him nicely- if he doesn't accept your explanation, then tough for him. that's what an audition's for ain't it?

yea lor. If anything happens after he auditioned it, means it's his fault for not checking the stuff thoroughly. The blame should be put solely on the buyer. Don't entertain him - if I were you . Just explain to him nicely ..

Nope, totally unacceptable. Once the audition is over, thats it. Unless you stated clearly that u will give a certain period of time for personal warranty.

Put yourself in the buyer's shoes guys. I think it nice of red_ryder to even contemplate it.

Personally, I would find out how the rattling came about but do let the buyer know that since he has auditioned them to his satisfaction prior to buying it there's nothing much you can do to reimburse him other than to help source the problem. It might even be just something simple like poor connection or something external causing the rattling sound.

redryder: If U wish to go that extra mile, being a nice person and all, drop by his place and troubleshoot the problem. Maybe the sub is not standing on a flat platform and thus rocks on bassy passages, thus resulting in a rattling noise. Alternatively, his sub is not caliberated properly eg. sub output from AV amp is too low and volume pot on sub is too high or the sub is positioned too close to glasswares/glass shelves/windows. Meanwhile, U could convey these points to the new owner and let him troubleshoot the problem.

He's bringing it back to my house and we'll troubleshoot it tonight. If I hear the rattling sound, then I'll take it back. Can't in good conscience sell off a defective product. Hope he is true to his word that he will accept the sub back if there are no rattling sounds at my place. It's also partly my fault , never make clear that sales are final and no returns. The buyer is a young engineering undergrad and appeared to be an earnest guy, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by red_ryder

Paradigm PDR-10

The buyer said that the rattling sound was only heard when the sub was turned on by itself, without any other speakers. Since I never do that during typical usage, never heard it before.

I have a Paradigm PS1000. If the PDR10 goes as loud as mine, I doubt the sub is distorting owing to saturation.

As a general rule for 2nd hand sales, once its out the door, no returns entertained.

That's why the Caveat Emptor "buyer beware" came about. Test it all you want, but once you're parted with your money, the contract is completed.

The buyer could have damaged it in transit, or blew something during hook up, but that is not your responsibility. Especially for 2nd hand goods, where there is no warranty(unless it is transferrable).

2nd hand goods are cheap cos they got no warranty... how is it possible to take the item back... no matter how honest he/she looks never give the benefit of the doubt. people will sometime do anything for your trust, sympathy, etc.