Sign in to follow this  
arjn

Has anyone tried the AKG100 ?

Hi folks ,

I may need to be travelling a month or more and since I cannot carry my speakers/amp/cdp (How I wish i could !) I will be left with my Ipod

Currently I use a Sony MDREX71 for commuting but since I would also be listening in the Hotel now would prefer something lightweight but larger

Budget of around 150 odd

Comfort is paramount as well as long listening without fatigue.. cann compromise on Bass impact but would like to be able to listed ot the entire spectrum and preferably not requiring an Amp but at the same time providing the a very good resolution for an MP3 recording(I have them encoded at a bitrate of 320)

I Listen to Rock/Jazz/Fusion/vocals/classical in that order

I read thru the forum and got a bit confused..but i think i would prefer the 'open" type of headphone (Or would that be closed...Hmmmm!)

In your opinion is the AKG100 a good choice..Unfortunately I may not be able to do much of audiotioning..

Grado SR60, sounds good without amp, price of $120, good for rock, and everything else, open design, relatively comfortable (I've no comfy issues with them at all), light weight (flat-packing is no problem). Basically at that price hardly anything else comes close to what the SR60 can provide.

If you can up your budget by $20 more go for the SR80, its slightly better than SR60 without amp, but definately much better after being amped.

Edited by kenshinz

Kenshinz's recommendation is spot on but the Grado SR-80 is S$50 more not S$20 more. That is you can get it from Music By Design in Adelphi (2nd level) for S$170. But do note that their stocks are low right now - only 3 pairs left.

try meier-audio.de .. they have free world wide shipping... e-mail jan.

Unfortunately I may not be able to do much of auditioning..

If you are in Singapore, check out HMV, they're using the AKG 100 for discs sampling.

If you are intent on trying out the K-100 try Oaks suggestion first then try the Grado SR-60 at Music By Design at Adelphi.

AKG cans are a bit cheaper here in Singapore then at Meier Audio - check the prices first befor ordering.

BTW when I went to collect the SR-80 for the PowerBuy (now closed), I saw an SR-40 - this is a discontinued product from Grado and they made these in China as opposed to the SR-60 onwards which are made in the US. I never heard an ST-40 so I can't comment on how close the sound is to the SR-60.

All things considered out of a portable go for an easy to drive can like the Grado, the new Senn PX series, or look for a secondhand Sony V-6 (aka 7056).

To me the best sound out of a portable without a portable amp would be the Grado SR-80 (but that's a bit over your budget). The SR-60 is next and the Senn PX-100 third. An alternative is the Koss KSC-35 but you can only get that direct from Koss.com

Bear in mind that except for the Sony V-6, the others are open cans. But that should not be a problem in a rather silent hotel room. For outdoor use or commuting via public transport a closed can would be preferable.

Kenshinz's recommendation is spot on but the Grado SR-80 is S$50 more not S$20 more. That is you can get it from Music By Design in Adelphi (2nd level) for S$170. But do note that their stocks are low right now - only 3 pairs left.

Eh sorry for the miscommunication, I was refering to arjn's budget of $150, so from there $20 more. Shlould have made myself clearer. wink.gif

Thanks Guys.. the HMV idea is a good tip i could try that the next time I am around at Orchard.

I guess I could try out the SR 60 as well and decide.

Are Grados easier to drive that the AKG ? would not want my battery dying of too fast too smile.gif

well I tried them out (The AKG's) Not very comfortable and do not think they could be adjusted to fit my head well enough.. smile.gif

The sound was good..detailed. it seems to do the highs as well as the lows smoothly and vocals are very clear too.

Could not use my standard discs to do a full review wink.gif

Anyplace where I can try out the Grados ?

How come Senn's are not much recommended here...are they not that good compared to the Grados these days ?

they were recommended - the px100s/200s are senns.

if you'd like to i'm selling some akg k401 new ( as i have two pairs of them smile.gif )

let me know if you have any interest.

They sound as 95% k501 ... i love them

What is the characteristic sound of the K401?