Sign in to follow this  
lengcm

DH cones

Recently I borrowed a few sets of the DH cones from Rameish to try it out for fun.

The 1st set I borrowed were the Jumbo and they were placed under my player. I was pretter skeptical that these things would actually work. However after using them, there were improvements in the sonic signature. The sound became cleaner i.e. the blacks are blacker. Bass seems to be slightly deeper and tighter. With these improvements, I borrowed another to place them under the amp. This time round, the treble became cleaner and sibilance were reduced.

Will post the pics when I find my digital camera.

Edited by lengcm

I bought a set of Jumbos and a set of larges a couple of months back for $80(damn good deal...secondhand)

Put the Jumbos under the CD player and the Larges under the amp.

Could not hear any improvement with the cones under the amp. but when I put the cones under the CD player...WOW! Listening to Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions, felt like I was getting a closer seat to the band. Listening to the hi-hat shimmer was magical. The ambience of the church was also more "believable". Considering how skeptical I usually am of these "tweaks", this was an eye opener for me.

btw, lengcm, what configuration do you use for the cones under your equipment. I find that adjusting the placement of the feet and the direction of the cone does make some minute differences to the sound.

For my CD player, I follow the instructions on the website, 2 cones slightly behind the point of balance pointing down and 1 cone centered under the transport pointing up.

For my amp, I used all 3 pointing down, 2 in front and 1 under the big round copper thingy that is coiled with wire and I do not know the name for.

I really want to try these under my speakers.

I just place all the cones facing upwards. The two rear cones are near the feet of the player or amp and the front cone is adjusted according for balance.

If the equipment is already supported by cones/spikes, it will do U some good if the plastic feet are removed....provided they are removable of course. kekeke.....

Does that mean you'll have to control the player with the remote control only, to minimise the chances of it crashing to the floor because you pressed the eject button a little too hard?(since it is now precariously balanced on 3 tips)

No worries of the equipment shifting or toppling over while sitting on cones/spikes cos the weight itself is sufficient to maintain a solid grip on the platform.

Does that mean you'll have to control the player with the remote control only, to minimise the chances of it crashing to the floor because you pressed the eject button a little too hard?(since it is now precariously balanced on 3 tips)

you need not do that, however I need to be more careful when unplugging my headphones, the darn amp keeps moving around.

Edited by lengcm

Glad to hear that you like them leng. One note about placement for the amp. Try the tips with all three poisting up and then all three pointing down. There should be differences.

Acutally a 3 point support is better than 4 points because there are no micro gaps for the equipment on rock on.

Thanks for the replies guys. Time to borrow some for trying out at home. tongue.gif

I have the trinity session cd as well....lets see if I get a similar improvement.

Edited by av98m

couldn't find second hand squares. definitely want to try those, but don't fancy paying $50 to buy them brand new. Not that I'm a cheapo, but I rather spend my money on CDs and DVDs then on expensive tweaks and cables. For me, it's all about the music, and not about the sound. (but my system does sound pretty good to my ears, so I'm happy wink.gif )

I think the 3pts thing is something abt being on a plane, so that it'll be automatically level. I'll try to dig up the article on google and post it.

Lengcm, for the CD player, try the "recommended" placement from the webbie and see if you hear the difference. 2 cones downwards along the horizontal balance point and 1 upwards under the transport. I actually tried this positional placement with all up and all down. They sound better all down, can't hear a difference with 2 down and 1 up, but I'm leaving it that way cos it looks kinda cool smile.gif no Dcamera, so no pics, sorry.

oh, before I got the cones, I was using those sorborthane feet that you can buy from DIY shops. I found they improved the sound quite substantially from the stock feet which I unscrewed. And they only cost abt $4 per foot. My source is a Marantz CD17 mkII KI

Of course I did the ask-girlfriend-which-do-you-prefer-blind-test. She loved the sound with the cones in place.

Chris

Edited by yongchris

Guys,

You can try different combinations of :

DH cones + squares

Unicones + squares

under your CDP and/or DAC.

For me, the combo which worked best is :

Transport - Unicone + squares + Ikea board

DAC - Jumbo cones + composite material(hard rubber)

I did try out the whole range of DH cones, from Large, Super to Jumbo and the Jumbo(biggest) is the best, don't bother with the smaller ones. There was an increase in separation and tonal definition. These DH stuff are specially tuned for CD playback.

I also have the squares only under my turntable. wink.gif

Beside plotting an imaginary circle around the center of gravity of your gear where spikes/cones are ideally placed, U might also try positioning each of these tweaks on the part that vibrates most or sonically suffer owing to mechnical feedback eg, transport of cdp, tranformer/(s) for dual mono. U can't stray to far from having an optimal sound using this method.

As for tips up/down, it depends what one sets out to achieve. Tip up = isolation; Tip down = coupling. The former is self explainatory while latter helps to channel mechanical energy away from equipment to ground. Have fun.