yoshiki

recommend me an earphone

hi.. my 1st post here.. biggrin.gif i am looking for a earphone with good freq response.. prob from less than 10 - 20+.. with long cable (1.1-1.2m), preferbly with hang around neck ie right side longer.. and reasonably priced.. need all the help i can get from you guys who are much more experienced here.. thanks..

hang around neck? you mean behind-the-neck headphone?

If so, the best behind the neck I've heard up to date is the Koss Ksc-55. It's available around 50 dollars(maybe slightly less?) from Hung Bros, SLS 3rd floor.

The sound is very good. Punchy and impactful bass. Sufficient detail and clarity. The cord is around 1.2 m long so it should fit your bill nicely happy.gif

It trounces all sony behind the neck style outta there.. even the more expensive G72 model wink.gif

EDIT: sorry I misread your post blush.gif

You want earphone? Lolz I thought headphone! Sorry for the confusion. Btw, the above still stands in case you want a neck style headphone.

Anyway, I can't think of many good sounding earphones with right side longer. Maybe you can try the Sony MDR-E888lp , which should be long enough, plus it sounds good. Warm midrange, pretty good detail.However, i feel that bass is not very impacful through this earphone. YMMV of course. The sony will be around 70 dollars, if I am not mistaken.

Alternatively, you might want to compromise a little, and get a much cheaper sennheiser mx500, which IMO(to my ears) sounds on par if not better than the e888 for about 1/2 the price(I am not a great fan of the e888). The bass is more punchy through this. However, the left and right shares the same length.

For absolute sound quality, though, I would point you back to the behind the neck Ksc-55 again tongue.gif .IMO, it trounces both the senn mx500 and the sony e888 at a bargain price of +/- $50 .

Do let us know what you come back with wink.gif

Edited by Blues

ohmy.gif x japan fan.. hehe.. anyway, i was thinking of the e888 too.. prefer not to have headphones.. what's the freq reponse of the mx500? since its 1/2 the price.. i might forgo the criteria of the behind-the-neck earphone..

X Japan rulez!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif ..

Frequency response of the sennheiser mx500 is (taken direct from their website) : 18-22000 Hz

Yep.. IMO mx500 is the best value for money earphone. The e888... some say it's better.. but then at twice the price, you would at least expect that. Unfortunately, again I feel that the bass is not very good. So if you like to listen to alot of 'oomph' the sennheiser is better happy.gif

Do not be too concerned by Freq Resp specifications for it don't mean nothing in how a earbuds/cans sound. Eg. Philips HP890 is rated 5-30KHz but manufacturer's own measurement shows a none too gentle roll off in the 15-20KHz region.

it's pretty useless actually for a earphone to have anything below 50hz imo - at those low bass frequencies, whatever sound is inaudible, you can only feel the bass. not possible with a earphone.

i think by one side longer you mean the sony-style of earphones which have one side's wires hang down a side and the other side's wires come out of the 'primary' wire right?

i think an sony ex-71 would fit your bill well. ~$70 at sls.

I second MX500.

Quite satisfy with mine though it getting neglected lately...

no. no more e888. try cm5 or cm7 both avaliable at www.audiocubes.com

care to share your 'bad' experience with e888? cos i am seriously considering that ear phone..

i think he meant that it is unavailable now as it has been out of production for some time.

but if you are looking for an alternative to the e888 headphonescrazy (iirc) once compared and concluded that the AT 'stick' earbuds had a similiar sonic signature to the e888 but sounded better overall. ymmv.

i think he meant that it is unavailable now as it has been out of production for some time.

but if you are looking for an alternative to the e888 headphonescrazy (iirc) once compared and concluded that the AT 'stick' earbuds had a similiar sonic signature to the e888 but sounded better overall. ymmv.

Sony e888 are wonderful buds, sonically and asthetically, but the quality is shocking... first the cord is one of the first thing to go as it is made of soft silicon rubber and very prone to bending, twisting etc etc... therefore putting stress on the earphone and to make matters worse the cord that connects the cord from the left -> right is very tangable, i have had a couple of these buds and voth were damaged in both way, now you may think that i abuse my stuff, but make no mistake i never abuse my stuff and i will never mistreat any of my audio (or anything) without respect.

The avability of this product is still avaliable from a number of etailers like audiocubes, bluetin (SG!!), MD HK used to have but close down now.

i would personally prefer the cm5, cos of the price US$40 + shipping http://minidisct.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21138 take a snoop at the url above and see how the cm5 stack up to the e888, that user has also had the same problem as me.

I would love to have some1 review the cm7 (cm7ti), but hardly any1 has taken the money yet to buy those stuff

orh.. ops.. but i thought i still see the e888 at www.bluetin.com's catalogue?

then so would the e888. add that to the fac that it's near-to-impossible to find here nowadays, and you have yourself one hell of a combo.

btw after skimming through the thread - i dont believe you stated your budget anywhere. nor your music tastes. nor your equipment.