Sign in to follow this  
extremecans

Sennheiser HD600 is the "Best" Headphone???!!!

Hi, ppl.

Thought I share my humble personal view on the Senn HD600 and why it was (and still is) professed and proclaimed to be the "best" headphone out in the current market.

Apparently, anybody who has read about reviews on this model raved about it but did confess that its imminent weakness is its overly laidback presentation of music. Well, for once, I do agree on that and it's also precisely because of that nature that most reviewers rated it as the most balance headphone, period.

Why, you may ask?

The Senn lets you hear the ounces and hideous details of any recording so vividly, in a relaxed, albeit laidlack manner, that you may forget, sometimes, that you are actually listening to the music through a pair of cans, instead of decent speakers. And in doing so it may become too analytical and cold to some, whereas for others and in the right system, it's actually quite a revelation experience. Timbre and depths are prominent and the spartial separation of instruments is first rated. You have a palpable sense of hearing the recording "live" and 3D imaging is fantastic. And albeit the aforementioned virtues or fortes, this is where its weakness lies.

Its so called "laidback" nature is keeping some potential buyers at bay. The reasons varied but more importantly, those who are having seconds are apparently those who like a more "upfront" presentation of style... And of course, there are those who prefer a warmer midrange and a lower depth. But in spite of these comments, the Senn still hold its ground against its rivals. So if you are seeking just a honest sound, without all the bells or jingles, that other headphones may offer, the Senn is a likely and potential candidate. It will not suit everybody but matched it in a top-notch system and you can most certainly be assured of musical satisfaction.

Before I sign off, I do have a comment to add... I've read that a lot of people have found the Senn to be slightly bass-shy too. I listened to mine and I can only say that it definitely delivered and registered the lower frequencies aplenty. ??? Why the contradiction?

For a very simple reason, price. Most folks will pair up the Senn with their portables or mid-fis and expect great result as proclaimed by reviewers around the globe. But this is also where the problem lies.

In hi-fi, there's a saying that goes "garbage in, garbage out", or GIGO in short. So to have the Senn and expect it to sound great where you only have a blaster to feed it, you can definitely more than expect it to make your music sound worse. It is a very revealing pair of cans and will reward those with good system.

Moreover, most budget (as well as some higher end) speakers have a hard time producing the lows correctly. This is made even more prominent when you are reproducing it through a pair of headphones. Even in a relatively good entry level high end system, the sonic weakness of the whole, more than likely, lies in the reproduction of the lowest of the music spectrum. Most speakers (as well as most CD players) already have problem protraying the lowest of lows, let alone a pair of cans.

In my system, there's definitely bass... and it's definitely there... But if you are expecting the oomphs that those subs delivered, you will definitely be disappointed. For others, it is the presence of the lows... and having heard that and taken the overall sonic signature of this pair of cans into consideration, it is easy to see why the Senn rates so highly among the reviewers.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with this pair of marvels!

Just my two cents worth... YMMV!!!

Cheers!

Associated Equipment

Sony XA7ES CD Player

Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 Headphone Amplifier

Sennheiser HD600 Headphone

Audioquest Lapis X3 Interconnects

An Afterthought

After prolonged listening to the aforementioned equipments, I have to admit that the MF X-Can V3 is starting to show its inadequacy in reproducing the goods. I listened on the Senn through the MF as well as the Sony and the only sonic difference that I've heard was that the Senn seemed to go lower in the depths on the MF, albeit a slight trade off in the mids. The Sony produced a sweeter mids whereas the MF went lower... Perhaps a tube change on the MF will remedy the matter...

laugh.gif

Edited by extremecans

Hence why he clearly stated, "Just my 2 cents worth & YMMV."

My first encounter with the HD600 got me hooked on HeadFi'ing, no turning back from there I guess rolleyes.gif

I can still remember how it sounds like even though I still don't own a pair. I won't slag it off at all, It's just that sort of cans, maybe!

Indeed YMMV

I remember the purchasing the HD580s back in 1996 with my Supreme amp. At that time I'm already very much an audionut but still quite unsophisticated in my taste. I had the Sony V-900 before the Senns.

Plugging the Senns in, giving them a listen for the first time, I felt abit disappointed. The issue of burning in aside, part of the problem might be my heightened expectations of the phones. The rave reviews played up my imagination of what the 580s could and should do. The sound was different from the bright Sony. More diffused and spacious. But I could not say it was better than the Sony at that time.

However, overtime the phones grow on me. After letting my friend borrow my Sony phones for some time, I gave them a listen. I could feel the difference even though my unsophisticated ears could not exactly pin-point the exact differences. Like fine wine, the Senns were smoother, had better texture and all round more satisfying.

But, at the end of the day, evaluations of phones, like speakers, are very subjective. Different people are drawn towards different types of sound. To each his/her own, I gues.

Hey extremecans, one thing for sure, you got the synergy rght. The HD600 is dark sounding and the X-cans V3 is bright sounding. Happy tube rolling.

Extream cans - can't comment too much on "the best" bit because there are too many variables around. There are many fine headphones that in many ways outperform the HD-600 - even in the same price category. Then again there are many cans (even from Sennheiser themselves) which are better - both dynamic and electrostatic (I havn't heard an electrostatic Senn for myself BTW).

But I do agree with you that the Senn needs quality partnering equipment. Although the X-Can V3 (the best X-Cans yet) has got quite good synergy with the Senn HD-600. There are several amps that can do it better - the Micro Zotl is one such tube amp (US$775 excluding shipping and available direct from David Berning only). On the ss front there's the Sugden Headmaster (available locally from Electrades at around S$1,380 plus GST) and Corda Prehead (avail from Meier Audio at around USD$960 or 940).

All the above 3 amps outperform the x-cans (any version). with the Senn HD-600.

Hope that helps - well at least it's a starting point.

Changing tubes on the X-Cans helps but you should really change caps as well - you'll probably hear a conservatively rated 5% overall improvement if the mods are done right. For some it may be as high at 10%. If you need some midrange magic try Mullards. Better hight try Telefunken - or if that's too expensive - the RFT (E. German) or CIFT/Mazda (french).

Have fun and keep posting

Hi extremecans

I have a pair of Tungsram 6922s, would you be interested in tube rolling? Still NOS in box, I only tested them on the Melos but didn't like the combination. It may suit the Xcans better.

In my case, HD600 brought me to the world of cans but it was promptly replaced by DT880 after a mere 15-minute auditioning. tongue.gif YMMV.

Whether HD600 is the most superior and agreed by all users is secondary, what's primary is enjoyment of music. Another area worth noting is system synergy and extremecans, your high regards of the cans is partially contributed by good system matching.