Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Spark HA-1A Revisited

Am tube rolling soon have lined up a quite a few brands including:

In the 12AX7/ECC83 position I have lined up: Svetlana 12AX7, Ei 12AX7, JJ 12AX7,

Mullard CV 4004, Amperex 5751, GE 5751, Electro Harmonix 12AX7, RCA 12AX7

In the 12AU7/ECC83 position I have lined up: National Gold line 5814A, CV4003, RFT ECC83, Ei 12AU7, JJ 12AU7 (I think I have this LOL),

In the EL84 position I have the: Ei EL84, Billington Gold EL84, Electro Harmonix, Stock, and am trying to get my hands on some RCAs (at S$70 a pop but supplier has only matched quads) So if anyone wants to buy another pair let me know.

Not too sure what was the tube combination the other night, the music sounds pretty real with the Cayin. Rameish care to shed some light on that combination?

I beleive that was the Electro Harmonix EL84 with Mullard CV4003 and Mullard CV4004. But it was still a tad too warm for me LOL esp with the Senn HD-600.

BTW the earlier one you listened to was Ei EL84 with CV4004 and CV4003 *too rich" for me.

How does it work as a pre-amp? Anyone got experience? I am considering buying one, and at the same time using it as a pre-amp.

have been using my cayin as pre-amp (ecc 83 and 82 mullard with jj tubes as in mackie's review) with my integrated amp (Audio Refinement) and Infinity Primus 360 floor standers. i felt the sound had "opened up" and can hear more details and it became more "lively" (compared with using integrated amp on stand-alone basis - however this could be due the integrated itself not having synergy with the speakers). ymmv!!!

i hardly use it as a head amp these days - sticking to my grado ra-1 clone with senn hd580 - prefer this combination than senn with cayin (though this sounds "airier" with more "space" between the instruments and vocal).

the cd player is ts lim's modified marantz 63 se.

yes.gif

Ohh... so the Caiyin has once again surfaced!? I have heard of this amp for quite sometime already but have not personally seen it before.

Is it available outside now?? *wondering*

i bought mine from Wil (a great chap!). i think that there are 2 units for sale in the forum ... (not mine!!!)

Wil??? Ok,i go source around. THANKS!

Cayin products are available at Precision Audio on the ground floor of Adelphi, Coleman street.