mojo

Newbie to CDP+Amp+Headphone

Hi,

I'm a total newbie to HiFi, I plan to get a CDP (looking at Marantz CD17)

I plan to use a headphone to listen to music first but plan to buy speaker later. I'm currently using a Sennheiser HD497 headphone.

I know the above is a low end headphone, but as I'm totally new, I wish to start slowing.

Is there any recommendation for the AMP of any other CDP?

My budget for the CDP is 1K and Amp is around 1k also.

Thankyou

Well Mojo,

You could try the Spark Audio HA-1A with the Marantz and get an AKG K-1000 :-)

Or you could get a Corda HA-2 with either Senn HD-600 and Zu Mobius cable

Or you could get a Micro Zotl USD$750 excluding shipping) and a Grado SR-225/Beyer DT-880

Or you could get Sugden headmaster with Beyer DT-931 (if still available)

Or my favourite combo Corda HA-2 with Beyer DT-931

Hi Rameish

Do you think the Zu Mobius cable is a big improvement over the stock Senn HD-600 cable?

It seems a lot of extra outlay on an already expensive headphone.

Hi,

I'm a total newbie to HiFi, I plan to get a CDP (looking at Marantz CD17)

I plan to use a headphone to listen to music first but plan to buy speaker later. I'm currently using a Sennheiser HD497 headphone.

I know the above is a low end headphone, but as I'm totally new, I wish to start slowing.

Is there any recommendation for the AMP of any other CDP?

My budget for the CDP is 1K and Amp is around 1k also.

Thankyou

This thread is quite a good guide.

http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?showtopic=1952

Well Mojo,

You could try the Spark Audio HA-1A with the Marantz and get an AKG K-1000 :-)

Or you could get a Micro Zotl USD$750 excluding shipping) and a Grado SR-225/Beyer DT-880

Or you could get Sugden headmaster with Beyer DT-931 (if still available)

Or my favourite combo Corda HA-2 with Beyer DT-931

Hi,

Are those that you quoted within my budget and where can I test them?

With 2K yes it's enough.

Marantz CD17 is around S$950 new

Cayin/Spark Audio is around S$650 (plus GST)

AKG K-1000 is around S$1,100 (plus GST) (new)

Corda HA-2 is around S$1.2 (new)

Beyer DT-931 is around S$330 (new)

Take a look in the classifieds section Mojo.

Racey,

As to wether the Zu Mobius is worth the upgrade that's entirely up to you to decide. If you have heard other headphones like those offered by Beyer, AKG, Grado and feel that you still prefer the Senn HD-600 sound then maybe the answer is yes as it does offer refinement - that I was looking for! As to wether that what you are looking for that's another question alltogether. Think in terms of system synergy and make sure you have a proper CDP, Amp, HP, Interconnect first. Then think in terms of headphone cable and powercords.

Ya OT but also on topic. Related to trying out gear which is related to the Topic. Brunei...hmm I suspect that's not gonna help Mojo.

Maybe the 1st organizer of out 1st meet (who didnt show up) should organize it again and show up this time LOL

Rameish: dry.gif .... hammer.gifhammer.gif !!

lol.gif

As for the amps, most of the them cannot be had locally... as they're from Germany(Corda), Sugden Headmaster(UK), Berning zotl(US), and as such your best bet is to join us for an SGH meet(wonder if anyone is willing to hold it) or arrange to listen to the amp with our local SGheadphoner happy.gif

Well , if you're interested you can drop by my place to try my cyber-30 .. also around your range biggrin.gif

Racey,

As to wether the Zu Mobius is worth the upgrade that's entirely up to you to decide. If you have heard other headphones like those offered by Beyer, AKG, Grado and feel that you still prefer the Senn HD-600 sound then maybe the answer is yes as it does offer refinement - that I was looking for! As to wether that what you are looking for that's another question alltogether. Think in terms of system synergy and make sure you have a proper CDP, Amp, HP, Interconnect first. Then think in terms of headphone cable and powercords.

I haven't heard the other headphones you mention as they are difficult for me to audition.

I have got a Sennheisser HD 600 with a proper CDP and amp.

I was looking for advice on whether the Zu Mobius will make much improvement to the sound.

Anyway, thanks for replying