Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Auctions/Bid Ads in Classifeds Forum

Do you agree with Auctions in the classifieds  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since there is already a second Ad that surfaced in the Classifieds in a span of a few days.

Tell us what you think. Personally I don't agree it being in this forum as this forum isn't a revenue generator. It started as a group community helping people out. If people wanted to make money off their stuff then there's ebay, yahoo auctions & what not.

Edited by N@Z

Fully agree with what you said. It's more comfortable dealing if the seller has specified what price he has in mind yes.gif

I think buyers and sellers should be free to negotiate prices through PMs, and the seller may choose eventually to sell to whoever he deems fit, be it based on past experience, highest offer, or personal acquaintance. Auction/bid style ads might fuel disagreements arising from bid wars, so I ain't for it, but with moderation, it might be worth a try for the few who see that the best way to buy/sell items is through bidding.

I dun quite understand the part about auctions bein in the classifieds....can sumone pls explain it to me when they have the time?

No.

Personal auctions aren't fair, especially being run by a single person.

Think about it - Buyers are not protected from the Sellers in many ways for example -

Sellers have absolute control on the bids and price. Bids are not held by a neutral party.

This way a seller can sabotage the auction citing another bidder has offered more hence jacking up price even when the said higher bidder is only fictional (non existent). Buyer ends up paying more than they should.

I can think of more examples but there is just far too many.

Who is going to monitor these auctions anyway?

Worst case scenario, is this forum ready for liability charges when an auction deal gets nasty?

My take! Forums are not an auction house. There are options on the internet for auction which are properly governed by rules that are made for this form of trading. Check them out!

2¢ and not more smoke.gif

Hmm .. what i feel is if the seller prefer to auction ... then .... yeah.gif

let the seller post it as a classfied here, provided it is a listed item on yahoo auction/ebay. like some of the guys on headfi.

at least it is open and fair for all to see the price

FYI is fine as long as the auction is not being run in the Forum. I think it's ok too if it's something like an IC (Interest Check) whereby the seller will keep their intended price closed & people can make offers to them in private. However I'm strongly against bidding in the threads itself.

N3w_typ3, please clarify why you are for the auction to be in the classifeds forum. Don't you feel that the free forum is being taken advantage of?

I feel that auctions is not only messy on such a forum, but is also not transparent enough on this kind of platform, i.e. forums.

The fact that it also affects the ads of others is also somewhat annoying, in a way when people keep on posting in that same thread because the auction is still going on, and if there are a handful going on at the same period of time, previous ads will be either pushed down to where they may not get noticed or the person will keep on bumping. The auctions get the headlines and the others get unnoticed. And the classifieds will be somewhat messy. I feel that this may somehow jeopardize the bandwidth of the forum if auction-style sales gets too popular amongst sellers.

On the other hand, if the seller keeps on updating price using the same post, then others wont get noticed about the updating, and they have to keep checking back. Besides, the authorisation of altering their post may cause unnecessary suspicion, especially in the context of auctions.

Not a very brilliant idea indeed.

My 2 cents

Personally I do not like the idea of auctions in here. Whats so bloody hindering difficult about posting a selling price that you'd be happy with? dry.gif If you really want to sell by auction, go do it on ebay or yahoo auctions, not here.

Another thing, pehaps the mods should consider making it a rule to post a price for whatver is being sold here. Not sure about others, but I really cannot stand ads that do not list a price, instead a line asking people to pm offers. Again, what is so bloody difficult about posting a price you'd be happy to sell at. Another online forum I visit actually has this rule enforced. Ads asking for offers are deleted without any questions asked.

You get excited too easily dude! Anyway, lets stay focused on the issue at hand.

There appears to be a concensus so far so we may have this rule put up on the sticky thread soon unless the poll swings drastically changed the other way.