i hav this cd which i think is good :

Fourplay (instrumental + some vocals)

Here's just a couple:

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Live at Carnegi Hall

Miles Davis - A kind of Blue

Billie Holiday - Songs for Distingue Lovers

Stan Getz - Getzs Plays Jobim: The Girl from Ipanema

Jazz at the Pawn Shop

That's excluding CDs which not necessarily are audiophile but sound extremely good:

Most of the 24K Gold 24bit Mastering CDs (e.g. The best of Bob Marley & the Wailers), HDCD/SACD encoded discs & Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Gold CDs, if you can find any.

Thomas Crown Affair movie soundtrack

Too many to list...

For those who like Fourplay and Kenny G, please try :

Sam Riney - soprano / alto / tenor saxophones cool.gif under Spindletop Records :

SPT121 - Lay It on the Line

SPT129 - At Last

SPT133 - Playing with Fire

SPT138 - Talk to Me

quite soulful, with infusion of bebop moods wink.gif

cool.gif

I know most of audiophiles have at least one of Cai Qing's famous song albums....Old Songs, Golden Leaves....but not many has discovered this particular CD album....called "selections of Best Hokkien Songs in 10 years"(MCA146-a1 by Ning Xia Da Di Culture Audio and Video Publishing House). It contains 10 tracks of unforgettable Hokkien tunes that maybe your dad or mom would remember, but the best part lies in its recording, strongly biased towards analog sound, very smooth voicing from this Taiwanese queen of tenor. Her relaxed style of singing makes your surrounding totally serene......warm feeling fills the house or your soundfield actually. Must try ! kissing.gifwink.gif

KIIGO is a variant of HUGO brand, catering mainly to new age and modern music of Chinese origin. Two discs worth highlighting here are :

1. The Fading Village (KG1017A)

I particularly like track no. 3 which is the title track. Featuring Liu Xing on MIDI / Zhongruan and Dai Shu Hong on flute, it guided my mood from serenity to deep thought on lightbody and my inner advisor rises to highest spirit of the day....

Quote : In Shanxi there is a small village with a thousand years history called Jizibo. For generation, the villagers lived in the caved dwellings half way up the hill. The village had a flourishing population long since. However, in the third year of Emperor Guang Xu, after an exceptionally severe drought, only one man remained, whose descendent Lao Yuan-tou is now over sixty. There were more than ten families in the village, but they moved out one after another for search of water. Lao Yuan-tou, the only one remained, will keep living there and watching the deep but dry old well. So will his descendants.

Squatting on the hill, Lao looked into the distance, mouth open and the only tooth shown up. From early morning to noon, then to late evening, he finally disappeared into a silhouette. Born from nature and gone with nature...

Track nos. 6 and 14 entitled " An old man gazing at the sea" and "Tree" are also pieces that have harmonised my mood with very expressive flow of flute and Zhongruan solo passages interlaced with MIDI, Yueqin and strings, awakening more imagery guidance in life...

Nature comes from the heart of human beings but is strangled by their brains. Realm is the only air you can feel it when it is lacking...

Wisdom is relative to cleverness. The more cleverness, the less wisdom. Wisdom is the uncontrollable velocity and rate of flow from one's heart, while cleveness is to weigh the pros n cons and then decide what to choose... kissing.gif

2. Over the Rainbow (KG1007G)

Most if not all pieces featured here are all heart-warming panpipes music by Du Chong. Traces of rubatos are there to give you a sense of humors and relaxation in the dimensions of space and time... please take note that this album was recorded almost 10 years ago.

hug.gif

Please try !

Discs you should try:

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Yim Hok Man - Di Yi Gu (No.1 Drum)

Huang Hong Ying - Tasting Loneliness for the First Time

The Tube - Stuttgarter Kammerochester

upz we need more suggestion on hi-fidelity music cds yes.gif

Any from the Buena Vista Social Club Series & Lisa Ono.

Diana Krall, "Live in Paris" - An excellent live recording. I especially like Track 7, "Devil May Care." A fast upbeat piece with awesome improv.

Also, generally CDs released by Narada have pretty good recordings. Most of the stuff is world music... so if you dig those stuff. Here's one of my favorites:

"Guitar Works" - A collection of various guitarists who record with Narada. Mostly acoustic guitars. My favorite track is Track 11, "Amber" by Matthew Monfort. He adds traditional Indian sitar techiques to his acoustic guitar. Quite novel.

Other CDs that are well recorded (not sure if you'll consider them audiophile...):

Loreena Mckennitt, "Live in Paris & Toronto" - Unplugged with traditional wood, wind and percussion instruments. Very poetic songs. This is a two CD compilation.

Capercaille, "Beautiful Wasteland" - Blend of traditional Celticsongs and modern rhythm. Also has a bit of African vocals creatively added in. The lead singer, Karen Matheson has a very soothing voice. Quite well recorded. One of my favorite tracks is Track 1, "M'ionam."

Edited by Ticky

While I was making a search for Lowthers Speakers (yeah, in yer dreams boyo!) I chanced upon this link:

http://www.oldhifi.com/cd.html

Some I didn't expect were supposed to be audiophile CDs, like Joe Satriani & Enya. Lots of guitar based music too. Updating my 'To Buy List' wink.gif

Who is Cai Qing?

And can anyone tell me what's that song they used to demo equipment in the original Infernal Affairs?

Chris

Cai Qing is a Taiwanese singer and famous for her lucious and deep vocal amongst audiophiles. U can find at least one copy of her jazz albums in any audiophile's home. Moreover, the songs are really good and the jazz renditions in "Jin Pian Zi part 1 and 2" are fantastic. The song heard in Infernal Affairs can be found in her album "Ming Ge" - roughly translated as Folk Song; track 1.

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/...-c/version-all/

"Folk Song" - Ming Ge

user posted image

"Golden Pieces I" - Jin Pian Zi part 1

user posted image

"Golden Pieces II" - Jin Pian Zi part II

user posted image

All images courtesy of www.yesasia.com.

Edited by Mackie

Thanks Mackie. I've never heard of her (Well, I don't understand mandarin, so I wouldn't buy mandarin CDs anyway.) But that song from Infernal Affairs(I watched it in cantonese, which I understand) sounds really good. So that's what this "cai qing" sounds like. hmmm...Maybe I'll get that CD... now where did I put my mandarin-english dictionary. smile.gif

Chris

My pleasure Chris. Don't let language be a barrier to expanding your repertoire. The music will speak for itself. Many a time, my hairs stood on ends or a tear shed from listening to some classical music albeit there weren't any lyrics or singing. One of this is Samuel Barber's Adagio for strings; featured in the last scene when Charlie Sheen was ferried away on a heli in Platoon.