Sign in to follow this  
fuwen

RCA splitter

Not sure has this been posted before.......

If I were to use a RCA splitter, is it recommended to use on the source (1 source go to 2 amps) or on the amp (2 sources to 1 amp with source selection)?

My guess is 1 source to 2 amp.

Either way is fine fuwen. Use Vampire splitters to get the least sonic dropout. You can get these from headroom.

The answer is interesting. Just wondering what is going to happen if connect 2 CDPs to 1 amp and both CDP is playing at the same time.... the inputs add up and the amp will output rubbish?

Never tried that fuwen lol. So I dont know. Dont think it will cause any damage but you might wanna ask around to be sure (go to audio asylum) too many yo-yos in head-fi these days :-(

fuwen: U might wanna take note of detrimental loading effect. I posed the same question to an Electrocompaniet engineer on the feasibility of connecting the single-ended and balanced output of my EMC1 to different amps and gotten a warning of possible compromise in sound quality albeit only one of the two routes would only be active. I reckon the risk is on sound quality and not operational status.

Edited by Mackie

Oops! I need to check my system then. I am presently connecting both my SA-14 balance and RCA output to my preamp. Do not remember the SA-14 manual mentioned anything about using both the balance and RCAs output. Also I am connecting for my preamp, the balance outputs go to poweramp, one of the RCA outputs go to the tape player, and the tape out go to the HA-2 headphone amp.

I reckon any signal drop out should not be drastic. Perhaps having tube components in the loop may raise more concerns owing to higher output impedance over solid state ones. Then again it also depends on where the split/parallel connection occurs. If I have to choose the location, I prefer to do it at the source ie. cdp.

I am presently connecting both my SA-14 balance and RCA output to my preamp. Do not remember the SA-14 manual mentioned anything about using both the balance and RCAs output. Also I am connecting for my preamp, the balance outputs go to poweramp, one of the RCA outputs go to the tape player, and the tape out go to the HA-2 headphone amp.

Poor HA-2 it's way down in the chain. What I do suggest fuwen is to have an upmarket switchbox made. You can have say 3 inputs and 3 outputs. I would recommend using the very expensive (S$45 per pair approx Vampire RCA), You would need 2 selectors as well (get somthing better than the Lorlin UK ones). And have it hardwired using pure silver hook-up wire. There will still be some signal loss but it would be far less. As for silver wire use the Kimber solidcore stuff. Let me ask firefox next week if he knows of an excellent selector that's available from either welbourn labs or percy audio.Shere should be a way to keep the selector switch to one piece (both input and output. So in position 1 it will select both input 1 and output 1.

Poor HA-2 it's way down in the chain........

Hi! Rameish, not that bad lah for the HA-2. In fact it is taking the signal from the tape out of the preamp. I have briefly compared preout and tapeout and found no difference (based on my ears, which are not that good in that sense). Why go through preamp is because I have 2 CDPs and one I prefer for redbook classical and the other for SACD. Why 2 outputs for SA14 because the balance mode of SA14 and the preamp have different standard so there is phase switch when using tape out. I can of course solve the problem by using preout but I opt for tape out for the HA-2.

Anyway the switch box idea is interesting and will wait for your advice.

Edited by fuwen

Hi all, below is the reply from Bryston on my preamp.

"

Dear Sir;

Thanks for your recent inquiry. The connections you describe will result in absolutely no degradation in sound quality. The output of the Bryston BP-25 can drive even low impedances of less than 1000 Ohms without increased distortion. In fact, the output of the line drivers is used to drive headphones directly without altering the preamp's specifications.

One thing to make sure of, however, is that none of the loads you describe should be powered 'off' when signal is being sent to the other loads. That could add distortion to the signal due to a nonlinear load.

I hope the above is helpful, but please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for your interest and support for Bryston audio components!

Sincerely,

Chris Russell

Bryston Ltd.

"

Poor HA-2 it's way down in the chain. What I do suggest fuwen is to have an upmarket switchbox made. You can have say 3 inputs and 3 outputs. I would recommend using the very expensive (S$45 per pair approx Vampire RCA), You would need 2 selectors as well (get somthing better than the Lorlin UK ones). And have it hardwired using pure silver hook-up wire. There will still be some signal loss but it would be far less. As for silver wire use the Kimber solidcore stuff. Let me ask firefox next week if he knows of an excellent selector that's available from either welbourn labs or percy audio.Shere should be a way to keep the selector switch to one piece (both input and output. So in position 1 it will select both input 1 and output 1.

I think the WBT NexGen solid silver, low mass RCA's (US$87/pr) would do better. LoL.. But the cost is a little inhibitive.

Parts cost alone for 6 pairs of Vampire OFC RCA's, 2 Elma selector switches, 8 feet of Kimber AGSC, 2 nice brushed aluminium knobs and a Hammond case would be about ~S$650.00.

A little on the high side and it ain't even inclusive of labour. LoL..

I think something like C&K switches together with the low mass RCA's I used on the BBamp Rev 2 and XLO teflon insulated 6N ultra high purity copper wire would do fine.

That would be much lower in cost.. Probably about S$100 for parts alone. It's not that expensive.

Funny, I connected the splitter to the HA-1 in my office. So I was trying to connect 2 sources to an amp. One source is my Philips DVD 963SA and the other I connected to a Technics SL-XP150 PCDP. I somehow do not get any signal output (i.e. no music from the headphone) whether the 963SA is on or on standby. When I remove the RCAs of the 963SA then the music came in.

I forgot to try any music from the 963 SA with the SL-XP150 connected.

Funny, I connected the splitter to the HA-1 in my office. So I was trying to connect 2 sources to an amp. One source is my Philips DVD 963SA and the other I connected to a Technics SL-XP150 PCDP. I somehow do not get any signal output (i.e. no music from the headphone) whether the 963SA is on or on standby. When I remove the RCAs of the 963SA then the music came in.

I forgot to try any music from the 963 SA with the SL-XP150 connected.

Is your 963SA mains earthed? ie. uses a 3-pin plug.

If so, you may have a ground loop problem. You can try using a cheater plug to lift the mains earth off the 963SA.

Hi! Firefox, cannot understand lah, can elaborate a little bit more? And yes the 963SA is using a 3-pin plug.