Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Gameboy

I'm thinking of getting either one of these for my son as a present should he do well on his final term exam. Which one should I consider. He's only 7 years old though, however don't be surprised if the Dad wants to play with it too! Hehehe.

Anyhoo, it costs B$168 for the advance (unit, case & 1 game) & B$280 for the SP (unit, hard case & 1 game) here. Is that expensive? I'm sure I can get it slightly cheaper than that but I've only checked at one shop.

I'm really out of touch with these sort of things so any help from the 'younger' or 'young at heart' crowd here would be a big help! laugh.gif

Personally, I find the GB advance nicer to hold and play for extended period (tried and tested during my 7 weeks recourse BMT in army biggrin.gif ), but under bright condition like midday sun, almost can't see anything on the screen. SP has built-in backlight, the lighting is more even, and works better under direct lighting, but controls not so nice to hold. If I didn't remember wrongly SP runs off internal rechargable batteries, so that means you can't bring it out for extended periods without having some place to charge too. If only the advance comes with backlight (instead of having to mod)

I don't play with either gameboy but my son prefers the SP because the backlighting allows him to play in the dark. Of course. that may be a disadvantage if he sneaks it into bed with him. biggrin.gif

SP is better because of the backlight. I tried turning off the backlight on my housemate's unit and bah! I can hardly see a thing! yucky.gif

GBA SP is a good choice! U see even at my age I still do play.. the emulator of course.. no $$ to get da real one! tongue.giflol.gifblush.gif <but occasionally take my housemate's unit to play muihihi...>

Edited by Blues

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Any idea on the current prices in singapore?

Hi prices i can check for you !! or you can get some information from Gamesquare happy.gif

i think for Sp is around $$200+/- !! will update for you asap b'cos i always visit such stores !! laugh.giflaugh.gif

From this site http://redhotgamers.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_53

the cheapest is $145

for some special edition ones like the old NES style maybe 10-20 dollars more.. I remembered few months ago the prices were abit higher(30+), now abit dropping maybe due to the upcoming Nintendo DS w00t.gif

The NES looks nice & nostalgic. I was initially looking to get either the platinum or onyx black. Looks like it might be cheaper for me to wait till I go to SG to get it, nearly $100 difference (when compared with the basic package). Any reason for the $5 difference between the US & SG versions (games compataility etc)?

The DS seems interesting but will be overkill for my son at the moment. I'm not much of a hardcore gamer myself either.

Actually I am baffled by the site too. There used to be 2 versions offered: US and Japan. Most of the people would go for Japan version(the "look it's japan" kind of thing lol.gif ).The truth is they are exactly the same machine, come with same packaging just that US version comes with english manual and the japanese version come with japanese manual tongue.gif . Games compatibility hence is not an issue since they are basically having the same electronics inside and the games are not region-dependent. I don't know about 'Asian' version in the site though unsure.gif.

Go for the NES.. it looks really classy! w00t.gif

Japan have their own market ... They are just trying to tell the gamers That for "Japan Use only"(only can be brought in Japan only anyway unless someone import in Just like MDR-CD3k) but if the game is not a "Asian ver" ... or to say is "Japan Ver" .. the resale value are much higher ... and "Asian ver" includes BASIC instruction booklet in both chinese and english language !! .. the printing is a little different form the "Japan Ver" that all but the game content ( software ) are the same la ( should be ) ( err "Asian Ver" product may not be produce from Japan ) that all ...

laugh.gif

Well for the different between US and Jap, i had no idea about it ... but i can help you find out but i think blues is right !!

unless you are talking about PS2, XboX, GameCube and DreamCast console machine !

they have different setting .. NTSC J(jap), NTSC PAL(europe), NTSC U/C(US)compatible happy.gif

Thanks N_T. If you spot any NES SPs let me know what the street prices are.

OK N@Z so far i am very sorry i did not ask about the NES SP .... ( cos i forget along the way ) tongue.giftongue.gif

Ok i got some Information from GameScore( well i think they are the best store for selling game product )

Ok here is their location 109 North Bridge Road #05-15 Funan The IT Mall Singapore 179097

Their website ( well is a forum )

GameScore

OK they are having a promotion right now ..

1 GameBoy SP set

+1 Game

+1 Casing to keep the GBSP

+1 EarPhone

for S$229

For Bare Set for a GameBoy SP

is $159

i well check for you the NES ver ... later ?? anyway you getting when you are coming over to Singapore right ??

you can direct contact Vearn Tusi @

Tel : 68373248

Hp : 90079127

Or email : vearn@gamescore.com.sg

or post it in their forum

Thanks for your trouble. That's the plan, to be going to SG in January for the proposed meet & hopefully a little bit of shopping here & there. I know where Funan is as it's just opposite the Adelphi building. As mentioned earlier, the one shop I went to was asking B$280 for the package: 1x GBSP + 1x game + 1x Case (no earphone I think) & B$168 for the bare set.

Looking through the redhotgamer site I didn't notice any bomberman avilable for the GB!

Went to another shop tonight, offering the SP at $280 package with the unit + 1 game + 3rd party accessories package consisting of car charger, case, earphone & all sorts of additional stuff which I had no idea what is used for.

Well N@Z take your time to decide ... Well also think will you child need those add on stuff ... i think he would just play the set itself .. but i feel that a proper casing is need as ya know .. to prevent scratches on the GBSP happy.gif err i think earphone can forget it .. as is bad for his hearing because he is still young ! happy.gif

hey, no trouble N@Z... i happened to be there so i help you asked .. laugh.gif