Sipher

Question abt HD200

THanks Mackie for clearing it up for me smile.gif

may i know where exactly in toa payoh central?`

thanks! will go and take a look this wkend.

erm...a few more questions:

where can i get the dt250-80 and how much?

any considerations when buying a CDP?

thanks in advance smile.gif

Beyer cans are available at Hung Bro. Go check it out. Depending on what your budget is, the only concern on choosing a cdp is how it sounds to U. That's all it matters. As it is, the cheapest and yet good sounding cdp is the Marantz CD4000 (below $200). Otherwise, U may have to buy used items but risk will be on reliability. Don't forget to allocate a budget for interconnects if a cdp is in the pipeline.

In the interim, I would suggest:

a. Marantz CD4000 ~ $200

b. Klotz GY107 1m interconnect with Neutrik rca plugs ~ $46

Try these combo with your existing cans before upgrading.

out of the 3 stuff below which 1 shld i buy first?? as i can only 1 stuff at a time.

headphone

headamp

CDP

i'm thinking abt getting the headamp first.

Sipher:

CDP 1st, Amp 2nd, Headphone 3rd.

Go for the Marantz, I know the 6000 OSE has a volume control (unfortunately digital domain) but you can still use it with your current headphone and have volume control. Later audition an amp with headphone (synergy is most important here).

I concur.

I think the 4000 has it too but not too sure. Btw, I have a friend who is selling the Marantz CD63KI. Although the model has been superseded, it was and to some, still is a good cdp and very musical. If U are interested, I can enquire about his selling price. My friend is a turntable guy and haven't been using the cdp for a long time now. So I guess the lens still have a good life ahead. Even if a change is needed, it should cost below $50 at Sim Lim.

Sipher, cash convertors is also available at Tampines and marine parade.

BTW Mackie, u know of anyone who can do a DIY of Klotz GY107 interconnect?

zen, buy the Klotz from Hung Bros and then proceed to LHS and seek Robert. He sells the Neutrik plugs for $10 apiece and if U were to ask him nicely, he will solder them for U.

Marantz CD4000 and Marantz CD63KI, which is better?

mackie can u find out wat's ur friend's selling price?

thanks smile.gif

Edited by Sipher

CD63KI is of the earlier generations of CD4000 but given that the price are similar, I'd go for the former as it carries all the refinement the designer can input within that budget at that time ...thus the "KI" prefix which is his initials. CD4000 may be a contemporary model but it's a bare minimum design which does performs welll given the low price.

I will check the price for U.

Sipher,

No volume control (if memory serves me right) on the 4000. 5000 yes. But please check before you buy as sometimes specs do chage without notification. I once bought a printer that said it came with Mac drivers but on opening the box there were no Mac drivers on the CD. And it was a LexMark! Not some fly by night company. The new marantz website is convoluted.

erm.. then i need to connect it to some integrated amp to control its volume??

Well if you're getting the 63Ki, it might come with a headphone jack with volume control. Why don't you ask Mackie's friend. Generally the headphone out on CDP are not fantastic but will serve as an interim measure until you can get the funds to buy an amp.

In your shoes I would picke up the used Marantz. Then you have something to audition the Marantz with when you start thinking about amps.

Amp + headphone synergy is important. The 200 does sound like a limited design so you may wish to pick up an amp and a headphone at the same time. But whichever way you slice and dice it, you need a source component first.