Sipher

Question abt HD200

Guyferd i realli wonder how can u afford those stuff u own.

bet ur family muz b well-off.

and u r juz a sec student! cool.gif

hehe

N@Z it's ok! happy.gif

juz wanna ask u..u use Eggo to listen to sony pocket radio..isnt that a bit overkill?? hehe. and also where u buy ur Marketek mini 2 mini?

1 more question. which headphone has the best instrument reproduction (hehe i dunno wat term to use...i mean the sound) that's within my budget?

in my opinion, i think that the AKG 501 is a very good headphone for the price. the 501 is good for classical and jazz too. if thats what u meant by instruments.

I'm glad you asked me that question about the eggos Sipher. Infact the Sony Pocket radio is an excellent sounding FM radio to partner with the eggos. The bass is punchy, sound is airy, 'out of the head' & is surprisingly uncompressed. Highs are smooth not very sibliant & Midrange is quite warm & good too. I got it from Linnem, Head-Fi's resident guru on all things portable radio related. Infact this is my second used purchase from him. The first one was stolen &... I just bought a similar one to the present one but is smaller & has digital tuning but expected to have the same if not even better FM sound quality. In fact I sometimes use my etys on them as well. Quite frankly, Sony don't make em like they used to. Guyferd would be proud of the bass output from this pocket radio. This baby takes 3x AA batteries while modern ones only have a mere single AAA! I'll try to post a photo tomorrow lunchtime.

The Marketek mini to mini I got as part of a purchase with a CHA47 (DIY) amp also from Head-fi. I also have a JMT built silver braided mini to mini with the 90 degree switchcraft plugs on both ends. It should not cost more than US$20 (excluding shipping) but I'm sure any of the DIYers here would be more than willing to make one for you for a fee. Even better if you can find the parts yourself & try DIY.

hehhe.. sipher no lah..

I am not that rich. Anyway those cans , majority of them are not mine.. rather, I auditioned them, so I know how they should sound laugh.gif

the beyer 250 was my 2nd can though, now the 770 is my 3rd laugh.gif

N@Z, thanx for enlightening me smile.gif. i too had a pocket radio from sony and it's paired up with senn mx-500. sounds ok onli. sleep.gif .... urs take up 3xAAA?! would realli like to see some pics of it. cool.gif . i suppose if i want to get something from head-fi, i could ask u for help? (as in helping me wif the payments....dont worry i will pay u back tongue.gif )

evil, how much does AKG 501 cost? how the bass?

Guyferd, u still hav the dt250-80?? whistling.gif

Hi Sipher,

I've a brief fling with Oak's 501 and it's forte is in soundstaging esp. classical music.....completely opposite of what U're after.

I remembered how I resorted to eating oatmeal for lunch and saved monies for audiophilia during my NSF days and I empathize with your current predicament.

I suggest U buy a dedicated cdp such as a Marantz CD4000 (below $200) and then a headamp thereafter. It will give U progressive gains nearer to your sonic heaven as opposed to an immediate upgrade to DT880. These revealing cans will only reveal all the shortcomings of your pc source and all.

Sipher,

Here's the photo you've been waiting for. Next to it on the left is the soft leatherette case. A classic looking Walkman style Pocket radio.

radio.jpg

Mackie, thanx for your suggestion. looks like i have to look at other headphones. i was thinking abt dt250-80 tho.

would prefer a closed headphone.

does the dt250-80 have coiled cable something like cord of the telephone??

N@Z that's a nice baby u have there. wished i can get my hands on 1 of these. cool.gif

hi

i have a question here.

i own a HD200 and it come with a detachable cable.

i was wondering if i can change the cable to a better one (if there's one)

pls ignore if it sounds stupid tongue.gif

If u feel that it does help to enhance the sound quality, why not?

Sipher: Try cash converters over where you are, heard there might be something for everyone there. I'm not gonna let go of this one in a hurry! It reminds me of my good old days in secondary school, listening to mere earbuds! You could always try the Tivoli PAL which tee adores! If it has a headphone/line out that should be a plus. Mine sounds great straight out of the headphone out.

Hi Sipher,

There is a headphone output jack at the back of PAL.

See picture in the manual :

PAL - Headphone Output wink.gif

cash converters??? are they shops which people go n change foreign currencies?

Tivoli PAL is abit too big for portable use rite? hehe

sipher, those are called money changers! lol.gif

Cash converters are shops like the one in Toa Payoh central that sells used products (anything under the sun) at very low prices. They also pay cash to owners who wish to dump their stuffs at their shop......hence, the term "cash converters".

Edited by Mackie