lengcm

X-Cans V2 Tweaks and Mods

Naz, perhaps I should leave my halogen floor lamp and fluorescent light on to complete your so-called colour scheme....amber and white!

Yeah, the box bowled me over when I was contemplating the switch from HD600 to DT880.

I posted some links about tubes for ablaze when he had the X-Cans. Basically I belive in buying match pairs. That is in dual triodes both sections are matched to 5% first then that is matched against another tube. The don't sound any different when new but helpskeep the balance as the tubes wear out. I acutally have some I think - lrt me check.

Ya I have about 100 tubes (guessing). Sold off the main bulk when I sold my Luxman SQ38 Signature amp. I mainly have 12AX7/ECC83, 12AU7/ECC82 and 12BH7.

Uncle Ned at Triode Elcetronics is a good guy: http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/index.html

get matched pairs please. What I used to do is buy a whole bunch of matched pairs or quads from different brands from uncle ned. The when I know the type of sound I want, I look for a particular NOS match pair that will better the current production. That way you end up sending less. The problem with me and tubes is, when I find a NOS that I like, I go crazy and buy something like 24 pieces (all in matched pairs or quads) LOL.

At the height of my madness I must have had something like 1000 I think. Cant remember now and never counted them. That's when I said enough of this madness. Buy a SS that you like and stop fussing over tubes and listen to music.

Yes, I'm looking for matched pairs and kinda like the sound of the Mullard. Sovtek is also on my shortlist. Personally, I think Uncle Ned's prices are very good but not sure if local prices are better. I doubt so though.

Local prices are hardly better. However, I do seem to have a problem with Uncle Ned, send him email but never reply.

Lengcm,

I'm not really into modifications. So I can't help you there. I suppose you could look into the power supply side of things. The Sugden is a very detailed amp and should mate well with HD-600.

Your CD player should be warm sounding (I have not listened to that model but have listened to other NADs over time) + X-Cans (on the bright/detailed side) + Senn HD-600 esp with the equinox. Hmm... I would say you already have a very balanced system. If you're looking for a touch more warmth the get the CV series of mullards. When you get the amp back, compare that with the Sugden. The sugden should have better weight in sound.

Looks like any upgrade may only result in a different rather than better sound right now.

I would spend my money on CDs insted of a Grado because the Grado really doesn't mate will with the X-Cans - way too bright. Bring your Sugden over and give the Grados a listen. Give yourself some time for warm up as well (abt I hour).

Hope this helps.

Rameish, just to find out more. How would you defined a balanced system? I guess you are right, I should start listening to music instead of listening to my systems.

Anyway after I get back from UK, I would pay you a visit to do an audition of the Grados. When I was auditioning the Sudgen Headmaster, I tried a pair of RS-2 with it and it sounded pretty good even when the amp was not burned in yet. Just wondering how it sounds after burning in.

Well I am quite satisfied with my current setup right now, the Equinox is burning in as we speak. 48hrs more to go before I can do some serious listen. So far the details and the smooth mid range is lightyears ahead of the stock cable. The only downside is the bass is a tad lighter then the stock cable. Hopefully by the end of the burn in, it will sound much better.

Wow, the blue LED sure looks cool. Hmmm will get that done when I get back.

Will be getting my X-cans tomorrow, Will post my first impression. Can't wait for tomorrow!! w00t.gif

Naz, perhaps I should leave my halogen floor lamp and fluorescent light on to complete your so-called colour scheme....amber and white!

Yeah, the box bowled me over when I was contemplating the switch from HD600 to DT880.

Hey Mackie, I think you are right, the nice super cool box is one the major deciding factors for purchasing the DT880. One more thing I need to check with you, any possibilities of a cable change in for the DT880?

Hey Mackie, I think you are right, the nice super cool box is one the major deciding factors for purchasing the DT880. One more thing I need to check with you, any possibilities of a cable change in for the DT880?

Lengcm, I know for a fact that every part of the 880 is changeable but the cord is unlike Senns' which is detachable. The cable is hard soldered or connected from within. However, the thickness of Beyer's cable do give one some reassurance of its quality though.