lengcm

X-Cans V2 Tweaks and Mods

Hmmm no idea how to solder. May try one day but not on my X-cans

BTW, what other tubes have you experimented on your X-cans?

CV2492 only. Going to get JJ's and perhaps Rameish may have some nice tubes as well. Siemens may be my next target ...

I am trying to get my hands on a pair of NOS Amperax Bugle Boys, they were supposed to be better then the Mullards. Know of anyone who could get them?

I remember seeing a pair on last Saturday at Soundscape, Adelphi Level 2. Be sure to check out some tube websites telling you how to differentiate the real and the pretenders.

lengcm,

Before you try NOS stuff, try the current production of tubes from JJ, Ei, Sovtek etc. I find chinese made tubes to be sweet - from the shuguang factory (Golden Dragon is just one of them).

The x-cans is a bright sounding amp so using some military mullards (denoved by the CV code) may indeed be the ticket. Could you tell me what headphone and what CDP you are using? That would help in system matching.

I do have some NOS tubes but not the ones you're looking for.

I would suggest kevin deal of upscaleaudio.com or tubeman.com - both offer NOS stuff that are tested and matched.

The X-Cans is a hybrid amp and should work well with a Senn HD-600 or Beyer 880, 990, 250 type of headphone.

Hope this helps. I was a tube man myself for a long time until I realised topology is just one part of the story. In the end, stating what you're looking for/ are unhappy abt would help.

Have Fun.

Hi Rameish, my current setup NAD 541i-> Chord Chorus-> X-cans or Sudgen Headmaster. My cans are the HD600 with equinox and have ordered the DT880 from Mackie. Anyway I am still waiting for the X-cans to be returned from Pink Flyod as one of the tubes was found to be microphonic. He will get another set of tubes for me. I will try to meet up with you when I get back from UK as I may get a pair of Grados.

BTW, do you know of any mods which can be carried out on the Sudgen Headmaster. So far the only person who does the mod was Carlo in headfi, still awaiting his reply though. I was thinking if it is possible to roll the op-amp? Any recommendations?

Edited by lengcm

The silver facia will look exceptionally cool with blue LED but the white LED might clash. Still, a good idea.

Edited by N@Z

Lengcm,

I'm not really into modifications. So I can't help you there. I suppose you could look into the power supply side of things. The Sugden is a very detailed amp and should mate well with HD-600.

Your CD player should be warm sounding (I have not listened to that model but have listened to other NADs over time) + X-Cans (on the bright/detailed side) + Senn HD-600 esp with the equinox. Hmm... I would say you already have a very balanced system. If you're looking for a touch more warmth the get the CV series of mullards. When you get the amp back, compare that with the Sugden. The sugden should have better weight in sound.

Looks like any upgrade may only result in a different rather than better sound right now.

I would spend my money on CDs insted of a Grado because the Grado really doesn't mate will with the X-Cans - way too bright. Bring your Sugden over and give the Grados a listen. Give yourself some time for warm up as well (abt I hour).

Hope this helps.

The silver facia will look exceptionally cool with blue LED but the with might clash. Still a good idea.

As U can see from the image below, I'm suffering from an array of red-green-blue hues from the X-series! biggrin.gif

user posted image

Edited by Mackie

Rameish,

I heard from Oak U've quite a collection of tubes. Do U have any that's suitable for X-cans V1? JJ was one that popped up quite frequently for this amp but there are mixed opinions.

JJ's are cheap to try out and it cost about S$16/pc.

You can get them from Frankie of Well Lab Burlington Square but he's a throat cutter at times.

Edited by Northern Oak

Yeah, I guess you'll need a white one now. Plus amber to complete the dynamic colour scheme look!

The DT880 box/case looks sooo... cool!