Sign in to follow this  
Cassie

Help appreciated in choosing new baby

biggrin.gif hi guys, sorry that my 1st post is my shout for help. Need some guidance here in choosing one headphone for my portables (namely PDA and a discman).

here are the criteria:

1. portable and stylish enough for a female (e.g. PX1/200, ATH FC7 or similar) or canal earphones - budget = 100SGD (unless real good, then max 150)

2. As I will be using my baby outdoors, would appreciate moderate to high isolation and also would not want baby to leak sound.

3. I listen to pop, acoustic, rock and chill out music. Would appreciate accurate sounding bass (not boomy ones pls) and accurate projection of mids and highs (don't want too harsh highs)

4. Durable and comfortable (PX200 supra-aural style is a bit uncomfy though...hard clamping...but may get time to be used to it)

Actually I am torn among these: Sony EX71 (Which I ruled out cos of the thin wire and fast wearing out), PX100, PX200, Senn 212 Pro (ruled out- design not suitable), Sharp MD33, Shure E2C. Can't decide....so pls help! laugh.gif

Just like to know if there are any other recommendations (like the new Sony EX81-SL)or comments on the above choices?

Edited by Cassie

I would say PX200!

I've tried the PX200 in a quiet place and they sound good, improving quite a bit upon amping.

PX100... I've never liked the sound, too muddy. Besides, no isolation

I have Sony EX70 (something similar to EX71) and though the sound is decent after modding, it is no contender with the Senns. Besides the isolation is bad.

As for canalphones like the shures it really depends on individuals as they tend to sound very in-head and hence fatiguing after a few tracks. Isolation is superb though.

I have tried PX 200, SOny EX71 and Panasonic RP-HJE50 (In ear bud). If u want isolation and travel in bus forget about PX200 and chose a in-earbud earphone. I choose Panasonic RP-HJE50 cos it is much cheaper then EX71 and definately better then EX71 interm of bass, mid and high... Another in-earbud u can consider is SHarp MD33. it also recieved good review from other sites but u can't use it with yr remote for yr existing Discman

If u interested in the panasonic one i got one for sale. I have already got a set and my gal bought another set for me for christmas... Still brand new unused.. PM me.. headphone.gifheadphone.gif

I would say PX200!

I've tried the PX200 in a quiet place and they sound good, improving quite a bit upon amping.

PX100... I've never liked the sound, too muddy. Besides, no isolation

I have Sony EX70 (something similar to EX71) and though the sound is decent after modding, it is no contender with the Senns. Besides the isolation is bad.

As for canalphones like the shures it really depends on individuals as they tend to sound very in-head and hence fatiguing after a few tracks. Isolation is superb though.

hey thanks! In your opinion, which one sounds better - 100 or 200? Heard that though 100 does not isolate that well, it sounds better than 200. True? What's the diff in sound quality of the 2 then? thanks!

for portable and stylish, can consider the new Koss KSC-75, its a clip-on phone, price is $49 @ Hung Bros but can't comment on the sound cause i never tried it

another new headphone that looks good is the Audio Technica ATH-ES5, its a closed phone so isolation should be quite good and knowing A-T who makes moslty closed cans, this might be the answer to the PX100 sound and PX200's isolation qualities headphone.gif price is $99 also @ Hung

The PX100 does not offer any form of isolation, its totally open. And I found the sound of PX100 pretty bad, its all too muddy, whereas PX200 sounded good to me, but a lot people claim the PX100 is better, hence YMMV.

If isolation is not that important and no portable amp will be used, KSC75 should be a good choice, if it does indeed sound close to the KSC35 (I've not tried KSC75, but own KSC35).

The Koss KSC35 will leak like a sieve plus the bass might not be to your liking.

Have a look see at Bluetin.com for some more choices to consider. How about the Sony MDR-D66SL (if you can stretch your budget to $157.00)? It would still leak sound a little if you're listening to anything over moderate volume. If you're happier with earbuds I recommend the Sony MDR-E888 (good mids - $115.00) or if you want something more inexpensive the fairly good sounding Sennheiser MX-400 ($30.00).

It's tough for any cans within your budget to meet all the criteria, but I would go for the PX200 (echoing what lekguan said), or the Shure E2's, basically for the isolation and reasonable sound quality, as much as there are trade-offs. Bass of the PX200 can be boomy for some, while the Shure's seem to suffer from harsh highs though the latter's bass presentation is excellent. They aren't comfortable, but it should be fine as you get used to them with time.

hi all! Thank you very very much for your help! Hung bros is closed3 today...so made a wasted trip thr. sad2.gif Anyway, went to try the PXs at Tangs. A pity though - PX200 is kinda burned in alr for 2 mths (maybe?) but the px100 is brand new. Anyway, I thought PX100 sounds 'clearer' though the bass is weak (maybe it's brand new?), does not hold too tight a grip on my ears (i.e. more comfy). But I was horrified as I could hear conversation 1m away from me and the horrendous noise level (3rd floor can be quite noisy esp @ Technobay). Px200's bass is better but a bit boomy. Though it does not isolate completely, I prefer it over px100 wrt this aspect. Somehow I prefer Px100...if only it offers good isolation.

Another model I tried is 212 pro. It is good (to me)...bass more powerful...but alas! It is NOT really that portable and I dun like the design...sad2.gif

Am I hearing the right things? wacko.gif

oh and the sales prson said that px100 is preferred by those who listen to rock or heavy metal since it sounds warmer and not so harsh. whereas px200 is suitable for any type of music, hence out of 10 pple, maybe 9 but px200. True?

So I'm stuck now...heh...

Edited by Cassie

The Koss KSC35 will leak like a sieve plus the bass might not be to your liking.

Have a look see at Bluetin.com for some more choices to consider. How about the Sony MDR-D66SL (if you can stretch your budget to $157.00)? It would still leak sound a little if you're listening to anything over moderate volume. If you're happier with earbuds I recommend the Sony MDR-E888 (good mids - $115.00) or if you want something more inexpensive the fairly good sounding Sennheiser MX-400 ($30.00).

I went thr b4, but way beyond my budget. If I can't get it at Tangs w the $50 voucher, then my budget will be below S$100 definitely. Besides, heard E888 has thin wire and I'm afraid the insides may snap...hehe...considering I don't really take care of my earphones. tongue.gif

I bought the 888 used, now my wife uses it. It's still going strong. She takes it with her travelling, sometimes to work, aerobics & of course uses it at home. Thin wires doesn't necessarily mean fragility. You have to be really rough with it to break the cable connection. The MX400 got a fair bit of abuse from me, I never used the supplied case from new. By that definition also, thicker wires doesn't automatically mean better sound.

You're going in the right direction so far, you went out to listen to a couple of headphones. Listen to more headphones when you get the chance. If you can, bring along your PDA/PCDP to try the headphones with so that you are sure you will like the sound on your equipment.

e888 can take quite alot of abuse, i used to take it around in my pocket without any protection until the gold plated plug became dirty silver, still kicking now

e888 can take quite alot of abuse, i used to take it around in my pocket without any protection until the gold plated plug became dirty silver, still kicking now

really? Cos I read somewhere that e888 is as filmsy as EX71. It is not a canal one right?

It's an earbud.

Sony_mdr_e888sp.jpg

Edited by N@Z

update: my e888 jus died, i wonder why. right channel no sound. this morning fine leh, dammit same symptoms as my ksc 35, mus be the wire broke