jasonhanjk

Guide to fix up a Cmoy 2

hey folks, i had a little question...

i am planning on building this nice amp as a first time diy project, and i am having trouble finding a certain part.

it are the sockets for the OPA2134's and the LM6171, i wanted to order it all at farnell and this is the only part i cant find there :S

all i could find was this, and i really don't know if i can use it...

can you give me some advice?

Netaudio

You can get turned ic sockets with gold plated contacts from the link above. Very nice quality. I use them in my cd player:

user posted image

Edited by av98m

Netaudio

You can get turned ic sockets with gold plated contacts from the link above. Very nice quality. I use them in my cd player:

user posted image

Actually, those in your CDP are from Welborne labs. But for all intents and purposes, they're the same as the Netaudio units.

You just reminded me.. I need to buy more sockets.. Much of my little stash seems to have done a David Copperfield.

[Actually, those in your CDP are from Welborne labs. But for all intents and purposes, they're the same as the Netaudio units.

You just reminded me.. I need to buy more sockets.. Much of my little stash seems to have done a David Copperfield.

They're probably from the same factory or supplier.

I know where they are. They got sucked into the same black hole that took your AD8561AN.

They're probably from the same factory or supplier.

I know where they are. They got sucked into the same black hole that took your AD8561AN.

Damn it.. Even my water bottle seems to be missing... mad.gif

where did you get that volume pot from? i was looking for it. available at farnell?

I got the volume pot from Tangent at

http://www.tangentsoft.net/

Price is not too bad but you need to buy other stuff and use Paypal to pay. Service was very prompt, less than a week to get it.

where did you get that volume pot from? i was looking for it. available at farnell?

I got the volume pot from Tangent at

http://www.tangentsoft.net/

Price is not too bad but you need to buy other stuff and use Paypal to pay. Service was very prompt, less than a week to get it.

ok..i'll go check it out. thanks.

Jason I emailed you the other day, but I never heard back form you. Maybe your email has changed in the last few months. How can I order another PCB from you? Please contact me as soon as you can. Thank you.

Hey guys lead me in the right direction please.

This was my first amp project, and I commend Jason for the fast service on the pcb's.

I built this amp hoping to pump up the sound on my Laptop's output. The volume level from

the amp before turning to distortion is lower than the level I'm already getting is what

I'm trying to say. Am I using the wrong amp for the wrong purpose? With the 6171 installed

I was getting nothing but distortion, with the 6171 removed it sounded decent but not as loud

as I want before turning to distortion. The amp degrades my current sound performance by 25%,

as far as volume(before turning to distortion) output and tonal quality. Are the amps more

for portable type units than the application I'm using it for? Would a DC power supply rather

than the 9volt battery I'm using make a difference in sound ouput? Guide me in the right direction

on the applications for using this amp. The sound I'm looking for is loud and clean, a better

set of headphones might be the answer...these sony mdr-v600's are middle of the road borderline

junk headphones anyway. Any thoughts are appreciated.

regards,

HoBo

Hi, Shootertec.

I did replied earlier but I think MSN screw up a bit. Had replied your PM. smile.gif

Hobotek.

Are you able to take a picture of front and back of the amp you built? Hopefully from the picture I can see the problem. Also, have you tried other headphone and have the same problem?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm planning to build one. Just want to check whether the following parts are suitable for the amp? Farnell order links are below:

http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/par...?SKU=767335&N=0 (1000uF Caps)

http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/par...SKU=4237857&N=0 (LED)

http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/par...?SKU=303940&N=0 (Film Caps)

http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/par...KU=149846&N=401 (Film Caps 2)

I'm not very sure which film caps to order, but the WIMA ones cost a bloody bomb (not $1 ea as stated in the original posts). Just want to confirm b4 ordering.

And the volume pots are out of stock at Farnell. Any alternate locations to get it?

Thanks.

Edited by xchagg

Ah . . . got a problem after assembling the CMOY2.

I've attached 2 audio files, one is a 1 minute clip of the original song, the other is the output from the amplifier (1.8MB ZIP):

Audio File

The sound is all distorted: The highs are warped, the bass is non-existent. Only the mids are partially coming through....

I have no idea what is wrong dry.gif

I've checked both OPA2227s in another amp, both work perfectly.

All resistor values used are taken from the first page, elec caps are 1000uF 16V Nichicon VR series. Film caps are 0.56uF 63V WIMAs.

R11 and LED are not populated nor jumpered.

Batteries are GP 8.4V rechargable NiMHs, they've been freshly charged so it's not a case of flat batteries.

My soldering skills are rather sub-standard, so I might have fried something along the way haha.

Anyone have an idea what could be causing such an 'interesting' output from the amplifier?

Thanks.

PS: Not sure if Tripod allows hosting of the audio clips, so the link might be dead. But it's tested and working at the point of posting.

EDIT: I removed the LM6171 and jumpered pins 2&3, problem still persists.

Also connected 2 9Vs in series with the LM6171 installed, problem still there.

Edited by xchagg