jasonhanjk

Guide to fix up a Cmoy 2

Pic shows how I laid out the front panel. 1st DIY amp so forgive the mess heh. Ugly, but functional.

user posted image

Putting the switch in front of the LM6171 was a very tight fit . . . if the hole you drill for the switch is just a bit too low, the switch will push the IC out of the socket when you case it up. I went through 3 Hammonds before managing to case it up properly :s

Also remember to give clearance at the sides of the front panel for the screw posts. I destroyed my 1st Hammond by putting the switch too far at the side lol. Couldn't close the case up.

Another thing about audio jacks at the sides. The material at the sides is much thicker, so the audio jack barrel is a little recessed. You might not be able to always get a good grip btwn the jack and plug. Mine works perfectly, but if I pull out the audio plug just a tiny bit, the right channel goes. The Go-Vibe v2 solves this by removing a small square of plastic on the inside of the case, but I have no idea (nor the tools) to do this. You could try it though. Maybe a chisel just might work tongue.gif

Added pic of the Go-Vibe where part of the plastic is removed for the audio jack:

user posted image

Edited by xchagg

Not bad. wink.gif

That blackgate is really big.... wub.gif

Your life would be much easier if you use a smaller stereo jack. Well my first DIY also in a mess, or should I say in a tuppleware? tongue.gif

So, how's the sound going? Looking forward to another amp like M cube (MMM)?

Wanted to use the BGs for a Pimeta, but didn't have time to build it, so just swapped caps in the CMOY2 and put the other 2 in the MINT.

Used Switchcraft jacks in both amps, very nice build quality. The metal barrels of the look-alike ones from Koba tend to detach from the main body if you twist them around too much lol.

Thining of going tubes instead of SS for my next amp. Looking at the MAD Ear+Purist HD, but that's one nice chunk of change wink.gif But I think I should get a Headroom MicroDAC first; Currnet source is the headphone out from laptop. It is suprising good, even better than my Iriver, but there's all the electronic background noise ugh. Putting the signal through an amp cleans it up, but the noise is still present ...

But the glow of tubes is sooo alluring.... w00t.gif

Edited by xchagg

xchagg..very nice!!!

mine still in progress wink.gif

Hi xchagg, may i know how's the sound of your cmoy2 with the blackgates. i thinking of changing mine to that too as I have some blackgates and elna cerefines lying around... laugh.gif

The caps I orginally put in were Nichicon Fine Golds. I swapped them out because one day the amp suddenly brightened. I don't believe it was due to a placebo effect, cuz I was waiting for the MRT when the sound suddenly brightened mid-song. I didn't like the change, so I swapped out the caps lol.

To be honest I don't think Black Gates make much of a difference in this circuit. They're just fun to to use biggrin.gif But swapping the caps did make the sound return back to normal (i.e. no more over-brightness) And black gates take several hundred hours to 'burn-in', so I don't know if the sound will change again. Probably won't make much difference in the CMOY2.

nvr follow.. and lazy to read such a long post, anyone can help me? I would like to buy a board. Tks..

email me pls... dbu211@yahoo.com

hi jason,

i saw the specs that i can output 18mW. most mp3 players can also output 18mW, am I right? if like this then do i still need to use an amp since you mentioned that it can drive most headphones in the market.

thanks.