ablaze

Postman came by today

rameish: not free lah..lol. i'm using a step-down. don't dare to mess with a new amp (yet)

Oak: oh I read you like a book my friend.. biggrin.gif

guy: lemme burn this thing in before deciding. I gotta say, listening again, the setup's taken on this warmth to the sound I don't like. don't like warm ppth.gif anyway..we'll see how it goes..

well.. let it burn in first

hehehe. I prefer slightly warm sounding eqpmnts.. not overly warm la.. just a v slight one laugh.gif

my brain seems to counter-react my freezing cold aircon with the warm sound of headphone..

hehe... and have a bar of chocolate or a drink.. wow!! I am in nirvana!!! cool.gif

Congratulations (again!) ablaze. Nice 'first impression' write up. Seems they did manage to wow you in parts. Would like to hear your impression again after some burn in say after 48 hrs or so.

Of course if you don't find it to your taste again... many SGHer here willing to take it off your hands!

Edited by N@Z

Hehehe... not till I satisfy myself with a PreHead first. naughty.gif

That probably explains why the EMP didn't wow you. I like the warmth but not exceedingly so GE tubes tend to be slightly too much for my taste sometimes.

Stax is something I drool over the hifi mags during the 80-90s. Congrats for owing one ablaze!

Looking at the pictures, I will make two changes if I were to be in your shoes. Interconnects have to be replaced possibly by one of DIYers' favourites like Klotz, Belden and the likes, depending the areas U wish to improve.

The power cord by a Belden 19364 terminated by a conventional or hospital graded 3-pin plug. I will demonstrate during our meet these changes do create ripples in the final sound, for the better or worse.

I don't wanna nag on the bit of cdp as the source but it tears me to know U're not hearing the full potential of the Stax. sad1.gif

Nevertheless, this is a hobby and choice/satisfaction is wholly yours. My suggestions are merely to offer an alternate route of enjoyment. happy.gif

those i/cs are actually provided with the amp. anyway, I got my own Chris Vanheus silver i/c hehe..biggrin.gif

anyway..after more burn-in. the sound really seems to have filled out now (or maybe my ears just grew to the sound. I'm still skeptical about burn in rolleyes.gif) but at this point, I've just one thing to say: how can anyone say Staxes have no bass? the bass is quite solid! slammy and full! and without the slightest tinge of 'flab'! maybe cos the Staxes are so clean and don't distort, and to over-ride the external noise, I turn the volume up quite a bit..but at moderate-high volumes, POW! the bass's all there! and really good tight bass too! I think I'll try and keep it around till the meet for you guys to savour happy.gif or is anyone interested in me transferring ownership to them, so I can start looking for something else to settle down with, but at the same time, for it to be there at the meet? hehe biggrin.gif

'Hijack completed... establishing connection with the network..

OT : mackie, do you think I should replace the monster 300 with klotz la grange? I am have about 50 hrs on the klotz and the sound is really good!(or is it my ha-1), coz I am burning them both at the same time tongue.gif

What do you think?

Flippin 'eck ablaze! Already?!

Besides.. naz, ur posts count... looking at it.. isn't that the mark of the beast no.?

scary!! blink.gif

doesn't take long to decide if a pair of headphones can fill the 'sole-headphone-to-own' position what.

problem is, as you noted in some other thread, I don't choose based on pure sound quality. If I did, I think these might just be one of the leading contenders for that position! yes.gif (honestly, I'm highly recommending these for people with nice quiet listening environments! thumbup1.gif)

other factors involved, amongst which are isolation (I'm losing a lot of details with all the goddam noise around me! either that or I turn the volume up and risk hearing damage blink.gif) and durability. but I got what a wanted. a taste of the fine Stax-wine naughty.gif

wow! blaze.. if the 404 is already darn good.. I wonder how the omega II will sound like. Would someone pls try and get this, instead of the venerable R10?

I would like to hear the king of stax vs king of dynamic hp

which 1 will win? place ur bet now tongue.gif

Yeah I noticed the 666 too! Freaky! But that was just for a short while only!

I'm sure someone will ablaze! Alas not me for now.

yea.. it's supposed to be orpheus.. I forgot.. sheesh.. too much stax here. Makes me forgot abt orpheus and baby o for a while lol.gif