Sign in to follow this  
wil

Beyer DT-100s

Anyone have them?

I gave them a brief listen today and boy was i surprised.

Sounds very much like a cross btw my DT880s and ER4s.

Crisp, sparkling highs, bass is rather like the 880 expect with more body and alittle more impact.

Smaller soundstage compared to the 880, but then again it's a closed monitor.

Heard it thru a mixer console....itching to try it on my Cayin....hehehe.

on the other side of the coin, i tried the DT150 and the bass was very, very bloated!

not my cup of tea i guess...

itching to try it again.... tongue.gif

havent had a chance to listen to the dt-100 yet.... but i dun think my dt-150's are exaggerated

perhaps its the amp....wasnt a very suitable one i guess.....

might be better if i used a dedicated headphone amp..

Im sure mackie has heard both if i remember correctly and he wasnt too positive about this cans. Yeah, id like to hear your take on it as well.

Hm...if i remember correctly, mackie holds the DT150s in high regard...hm...

But upon listening to the DT100 yest it seemed like the headphone version of the ER-4s!

which isnt a very bad thing i must say laugh.gif

Hm...if i remember correctly, mackie holds the DT150s in high regard...hm...

But upon listening to the DT100 yest it seemed like the headphone version of the ER-4s!

which isnt a very bad thing i must say laugh.gif

Did you try the 16Ω or the 400Ω version? I have to take a listen to this after your recommendations. biggrin.gif

Personally, I like DT150 better when it's proprly run in (loose bass and tizzy highs when otherwise) and more neutral than DT100 which I regard as somewhat lean in the bass department. Mid range is its forte and that's why DT100 is favoured for broadcasting. On a fairer note, both these cans serve different functions.

Weird, mackie, i have the DT-100 and DT-150 on loan frm Albert ( u do know him right? heh )

The 100s seem much thinner sounder compared to the 150 ( which is totally different from what i heard at Albert's shop that day...haha..the 150 was super bloated )

Now the 150s when heard from my rotel /cayin is a different animal all together.

Bass is tighter. Compared to the 100s, the 150s here has alot more body thru-out the spectrum whereas the 100s seem flat and thin.

Hm...i think the bass is comparable to the 770s! but is slightly more balanced.

From what im hearing now, the 150s sound better than the 100s.

hm...wonder how much hours these cans have clocked....

Edited by wil

I think as far as Beyers are concerned, the DT250 does a great job for me. Not even sure if I wanna let it go. Wil, how does the DT100 compare to the DT250? Can remember the 250?

Somebody wants to buy you DT880 already! haha...

Please please someone come to tokyo? =] party.gif

Edited by idkfa

hahaha...i cant really rem the 250s, but i do rem the 770 bass!

but after listening to both the 100 and 150 on my setup, i perfer the 150s. But i have a feeling a solidstate setup would be better with the 150s, cos it seems a little rich for my taste ( with tubes )

Hm....im seriously thinking if this pair is burned-in or not...

The DT-150's with a borrowed grado ra1 clone amp is simply outstanding. Was listening to it for a couple of weeks and i was very happy when i had that combo. I still think the best combo ive heard so far is with the BigBen amp that Firefox built but to be fair, the source was a certain consonance cdp which was excellent as well. So i would agree that a solidstate setup would do well with the 150's but do note that i have not heard it with any tubed amps yet.

Weird, mackie, i have the DT-100 and DT-150 on loan frm Albert ( u do know him right? heh

I happened to be at the showroom trying the new Dynaudio Acoustics BM5A monitors. I actually handed the DT150 to your dad on my insistence. I know U will favour it over DT100. DT100 is fully run in but the 150 is brand new. so take care of it dude. U can tell by the conditions of the pads.

Once again I reiterate DT100 is more for broadcasting where voice is the main target area. The highs are rolled off for prolonged usuage without fatique. Mid range is slightly forward and full but with a hump in lower mid range for additional warmth. To stress this point, lower octves of a female soprano voice may sound like Tsai Chin's deep voice which is not true to fact.

Edited by Mackie