Sign in to follow this  
wil

Beyer DT-100s

I see...thanks mackie. I find the bass on the 150s to be a tad overwhelming though...a little bloated. does it improve with extended burn-in?

Personally, I find DT150 is one of the most neutral and honest cans I've come across. Perhaps U are too used to the lean sound of Etys. I use DT150 to analyse equipment and cables for use in my speakers and headphone system because of its neutrality and high resolution. I suspect U have the wrong perception of bloated bass, much akin to the common misunderstanding of brightness.

Being bloated means fat and with a double bass track, U will hear only resonance, little of the plucking of strings and worst still, bass definition and tonality are absent. However, do not misunderstand that this resonance (or boom) ought to disappear totally as double bass SHOULD growl! Similarly, violins should also sound a bit screechy and with attack and decay. A lean sounding double bass and sweet violins are sounds that are not true to the live sound of these instruments. Some audiophiles err in choosing what they wanna hear and not how the instruments should sound.

I may sound a bit forceful in putting this point across but I've made comparisons with what I hear from my speaker system and DT150 and the latter always stay pretty accurate. However, bad recordings will be very apparent with this cans.

If U want a leaner sound from DT150, play around with the impedance switch at the back of your Cayin and it might work. In addition, DT150 needs close to 500 hours of run in to sound at its best. However, this process improves the highs and bass definitions but not the "bloated" sense U are referring to.

Edited by Mackie

Yo Mackie!!

How did the BM5's sound?

It looks mighty good in the press picture. alot better than the old BM5, with the off-align tweeters.

looks almost like the AIR speakers.

must take a visit down to Peakfusion soon. laugh.gif

Thanks for the correction Mackie.

I guess i was trying to state that the bass on the 150 was more overwhelming compared to my 880 and ER-4s.

Gonna try to put in a few more hours into it to see if there are any small changes.

Wil: I understand the uneasiness upon first exposure to DT150. It's true to the source and even DT880 has its own misgivings, especially to users who may not like its leaner mids and upper bass. Take some time to get used to the 150, afterall its a studio monitor. IMO, the changes to the sound of 150 is quite significant once it passes the 200-300 burn-in mark.

Chris: BM5A (only active version available) looks cool like the Air series but I found that it was brighter when compared to BM6A. However, the former is new out of the box whereas the latter is fully run in. Knowing Dynaudio speakers, U will understand how crucial burn-in time matters. Btw, there's a new showroom called Anything Audio, #04-09 Parklane, where I auditioned the speakers. U will find all sorts of pro audio equipment and of course, Beyer and AKG headphones.

Edited by Mackie

I had the DT880 and the DT150 but I gave up my DT880, not because it sounds bad, but I just like the DT150's honesty. Had them for more than a year and it has not tempted me to find a replacement.

Guys, it feels so good to be back here on SGheadphones after a year's break. party.gif

Welcome back Northern!

Been listening extensively to the 150s and find that compared to the 880s, it demands your attention while listening, where as the 880 is very relaxed and slowly invites you into the music.

To me the 150 is much akin to sitting amongst the musicians while they perform whereas the 880s makes me feel like im sitting amongst the audience enjoying the music.

Btw, there's a new showroom called Anything Audio, #04-09 Paradiz Center, where I auditioned the speakers. U will find all sorts of pro audio equipment and of course, Beyer and AKG headphones.

I think this shop is in Parklane Shopping Mall, next door to Paradiz. The people are very friendly and just opened this month. I have been trying to find time to listen to the DT150 in the shop as they have it on permanent demo at the moment.

Welcome back Northern!

Been listening extensively to the 150s and find that compared to the 880s, it demands your attention while listening, where as the 880 is very relaxed and slowly invites you into the music.

To me the 150 is much akin to sitting amongst the musicians while they perform whereas the 880s makes me feel like im sitting amongst the audience enjoying the music.

wil,

You're right about the difference of DT150 and DT880. I loved listening to the details within the performers rather than as the audience, perhaps because I had been in a brass band for quite a while and my ears has been tuned to listen to my fellow performers.

DT150 has been around for ages (look at the design and U will know) and utterly popular with studios, especially bassist.