Sign in to follow this  
idkfa

Portable setup for home rig

***Moderators take note: I specifically have this thread under home equipment and not portable audio because of my intentions

Contary to the idea that portable audio systems are solely for on the go, I am attempting to startup a portable setup comparable/reasonable to a home rig. My belongings & house items are starting to buildup here in tokyo and thus I intend to forgo my idea of a bulkier setup in search for more space and easier mobility. My CDs alone are eating into my bed space biggrin.gif in my small tokyo apartment.

I know the idea of how DAPs sound to some, but I believe it's got good potential. My digitalalised music is ripped at Ogg Vor & Wav. Thinking of getting an iAudio for FLAC support.

Any suggestions/ideas to help me with my goal? I think I got one too many headphones. Going to try to clear them. I think just one canalphone + one headphone shoud be good for me.

Items owned now:

SOURCES:

iRiver H340 (source)

Creative Jukebox (source)

HEAD AMPS:

Music Fidelity X-Can (head amp)

Meier Audio Porta Corda MKII (head amp)

Xin SuperMacro (head amp)

HEADPHONES:

Shure E2c

Shure E5

Etymotics ER-4p/s

Etymotics ER-6i

Beyer DT770pro

Beyer DT250

Beyer DTX900

Audio Technica A900

Ultrasone HFI650 TM

Stax SRS-2020

Grado SR80

INTERCONNECTS:

Cheap OFC cables.

(suggestions?)

Anything else to add? Please help.

DT-150? wink.gif

If yer goin for a very transportable amp, why not the PPA as well? One of the better solid state amps around. The SR-71 is also a good amp from memory. Both are relatively small and very capable amps. Im sure a few other ppl here will have much better recommendations than me smile.gif

Wow. I can see why you're running out of room!! Also reminds me why the japanese like to collect gasaphon toys (did I spell that correctly?) that take up a lot less space and are very transportable. I'd keep the ER4P/S for home and portable use, either the xin or porta corda(since both are portable, dump the x-cans). Since you only want to keep one other headphone, I'd suggest you sell off everything else and buy one good high end headphone(you can afford to spend more since you only want to keep one) Myself at this point in time I only have 1 Grado RS-1 and one ER4P/S. You MIGHT want to try using your computer(I'm assuming you use a notebook?) as a home source as well(get a usb DAC? hmmm). Thats my 0.5 cents worth.

I would keep one of the canalphones (most probably ER-4 or Shure E5) and sell all the rest. As for home cans, I'd second av98m, get a more decent one (or even 2 if budget permits) using money from the sales of the other cans. As for an amp, you might want to consider the RS XP-7 which is transportable, though not exactly portable. As for source, a vintage PCDP with line-out might be worth exploring.

Q00>>>From what I've heard from the other thread, the Beyer DT150 sounds interesting. Will check it out sometime next week. I've heard from Head-Fi forums that the Supermacro is slightly comparable to the SR-71. Care to give me your take on it? Have you taken a listen to it yet?

Jason>>>DT770pro has got to go... yes.gif But I kinda like it when I am really not in the mood for good music. Acts well as a good head thumping tool. Very spaced out feeling with that kinda bass. But yes, gotta go. Yes Sir.

Av98m>>>So I got less items to grab during an earthquake. Now it's just my passport, portable harddisk and then my porta setup. hahaha... Yes, room space can be a misery here. I live in a fairly large 3 room but then I just don't like the idea of having too much items in a foreign land. You'll never know... Moving is hell. Ety ER4(S) is definitely in my good book for now. The Supermacro (P)>(S) switch also gives me another reason. Shure E5, am I leaving you again??...What is the ultimate portable/home can in your take? "Gasaphon" toys? Care to eleborate more?

Absolute0>>>I like the idea of a PCDP, but the thought of more cds seem a little tiring. Most of my audio are rented cd from the cd libraries here so I just rip and return. But the thought is very interesting. Perhaps yes, I will get a second hand PCDP for the cds I currently hold. Any good ones to recommend? Pardon my ignorance, but what it the RS XP-7? Is that the Ray Samuel's bigger brother to the SR-71? EX EX EXpensive. You figure my other two portable headphone amps not that swell? How?

Any ultimate portable/home headphone to recommend? I am still dreaming of my MDR CD3K or the ATH-W100 woodie. Any comments? Thanks so much for the kind advices all! happy.gif

I hope this is not turning into a classifieds thread. happy.gif Those interested in helping me clear my items, kindly drop me a PM and I will keep you guys posted. No gurantees though. biggrin.gif

Jason>>>I don't really have a budget for the amps but if they are within the costs of my supermacro or porta corda, it'll be more than nice. Why? You got something to recommend? Or when is you "SECRET" amp coming out?? hehehe... smoke.gif

Absolute0>>>I like the idea of a PCDP, but the thought of more cds seem a little tiring. Most of my audio are rented cd from the cd libraries here so I just rip and return. But the thought is very interesting. Perhaps yes, I will get a second hand PCDP for the cds I currently hold. Any good ones to recommend? Pardon my ignorance, but what it the RS XP-7? Is that the Ray Samuel's bigger brother to the SR-71? EX EX EXpensive. You figure my other two portable headphone amps not that swell? How?

In that case I think a DAP should suit your needs better, but if you're keen on a PCDP, you should check out Duncan's review on vintage PCDPs in the articles section. And yup, the RS XP-7 is the "bigger brother to the SR-71", they usually go for about US$400 on head-fi, which is pretty decent. You can sell both of your current amps (US$100+ each?) and fund the rest with the sale of your other cans? Or perhaps a DIY portable PPA with basic components should serve your needs pretty well too.

I have just found my ULTIMATE combo, the Audio-Technica D1000 + iRiver H140(optical). This is one KILLER of a phone for me. Reviews to be up soon. party.gif

Well, this came out only last year. Still very new and very unheard of. Hefty price tag and an unconventional "REAL" digital pair of cans. I'll explain more in my review to come.

FYI,

mine below:

Items owned now:

SOURCES:

Creative Jukebox (source),MP3 and WAV

ATS909(source),FM Radio

SONY D135 pocket CDP(source)

HEAD AMPS:

QRV06,ZEN,benison

HEADPHONES:

CD3000

CM7ti

HD495

K141M

INTERCONNECTS:

pcocc cables.

and a passive preamp for roll varying source.