adhoc

auditioned the rs-1 today...

brought along my ms-2s and flat pads for a direct head-to-head session at MBD...

in my eyes - it's official now. the rs-1 beats the ms-2 without breaking a sweat.

here are some of my quick impressions.

NOTE: all impressions with flats. happy.gif

Do note also that i'm not exactly a neutrality fan wrt to grado headphones - these are rock headphones... and i just wanna rock. party.gif

rs-1 has a lot more bass

rs-1 is definitely far more musical sounding - the ms-2 sounds a tad cold in comparison

rs-1 has far more micro-detail and seperation, but are NOT fatiguing

while having far more bass slam. imo the rs-1 has a slight wooliness in the bass. not enough to bother me, but enough such that it becomes noticeable.

also, i noticed a very slight hollow tint to the sound once or twice during music with female vocals. strange. perhaps caused by resonance in the mahogany cups?

what.....u were there?

I just got the 325i from MBD today too....

didnt see u there...( not anyone testing the Rs-1s at least )

nice impressions!

hey wil, i was there around 1300 and stayed till around 1345.

The RS-1 is a godsend for strings.

Until I found the more affordable ATH-D1K. I'll give my impressions on it soon.

Adhoc<<<So, did you buy the RS-1?

Wil<<<New toy ah? biggrin.gif

wil, there were 2 guys in the shop - which one served you?

i cant remember exactly, but there was one with more hair and a red shirt iirc and another one with less hair. the latter guy was much nicer. the former was a bit curt with me.

The latter. He served me on both occasions in which i got my 125s and 325i. He was friendly and helpful...i've never had experience with the other guy...

the nicer guy talked to me about my ms-2 and showed genuine interest in it.

the other guy? he dismissed my ms-2 as 'oem'!! hammer.gif

wahhahahaa "OEM?"

anything but that!!

So......Adhoc......selling your "OEM" MS2s to fund your purchase of the RS-1s? whistling.gif

the other guy? he dismissed my ms-2 as 'oem'!! hammer.gif

Lol obviously he's not a cans guy. Alessandro's are widely acknowledged to be better than their Grado counterparts! Anyway are the RS-1's still $1200 according to the price thread? That's extravagant!

the other guy? he dismissed my ms-2 as 'oem'!!  hammer.gif

Lol obviously he's not a cans guy. Alessandro's are widely acknowledged to be better than their Grado counterparts! Anyway are the RS-1's still $1200 according to the price thread? That's extravagant!

yep, still 1200. i've been doing some searching around and i dont think that there's way to get a rs-1 first hand on the cheap. sigh.

and fwiw, i do not believe that the alessabdros > grados. imo both house sounds have their individual merits.

Edited by adhoc

FYI, there's a good deal on Head-Fi regarding a pair of MS-Pros at AUD$650. That is sooo tempting. It's no Grado though.

and fwiw, i do not believe that the alessabdros > grados. imo both house sounds have their individual merits.

Care to elaoborate on what are the individual merits? The majority on Head-fi seems to prefer the Alessandro's except probably in the comparison between the RS-1's and MS-Pro's.