adhoc

auditioned the rs-1 today...

My audition of the RS-1 was too short to make any comments....wouldnt be accurate...

However, i can compare it with the 325i which i just bought..

But from the 5 mins i had i can say that the RS-1s are very transparent and warm sounding.

and fwiw, i do not believe that the alessandros > grados. imo both house sounds have their individual merits.

Care to elaoborate on what are the individual merits? The majority on Head-fi seems to prefer the Alessandro's except probably in the comparison between the RS-1's and MS-Pro's.

nonsense! tongue.gif

the majority of head-fi probably leans towards the ms2 instead of the 325 simply because the ms2 is less piercing and cheaper, but then again you must take into account the horde of 225 owners! and the ms1 certainly has few fans when compared to the sr80!

add that to the fact that very few people in head-fi own the mspro when compared to the rs1.. and those that have have moved back to the rs1 (bhd812, goredwings19 comes to mind).. you get the idea. alessandro owners are still a distinct minority. cool.gif

anyway, to rehash a stereotype, i think there is some truth when it is said that the grado line has a more lively and musical sound when compared to the alessandros. grado: more bold, more upfront, more musical, more harsh, more mid bass. alessandro: more laid back, drier sounding, more recessed highs.

Edited by adhoc

wil: how do the RS1 detail level compare  to ER4S??

not as good as the er4 certainly. imo nothing full-sized out there i've come across (save maybe the staxes) can touch the er4 on detail. but then again, i dont need such a level of detail in my main phones!

Edited by adhoc

adhoc: did u compare with the 325i??

didnt really have a serious listen with the 325i - was there for the rs1 only!

from what i recall, it was a pleasant sounding phone though, if oh so very slightly sharp in the highs.

My audition of the RS-1 was too short to make any comments....wouldnt be accurate...

However, i can compare it with the 325i which i just bought..

But from the 5 mins i had i can say that the RS-1s are very transparent and warm sounding.

haha, was the rs1 still as i left it - on the cdp? innocent.gif

hahaha....nope.....I bet they hurriedly kept the RS-1 as soon as you left to protect it from my prying hands.

They had the 325i plugged in though ( Fresh out of the box they say )

My new 325i was ALITTLE harsh at the top end when i gave it a first listen ( Was trying out my new Basement Jaxx - The Singles CD ) Bass was alittle lose, but after around 8 hours of burn-in, the highs are noticably less sharp and bass tightened up abit.

I've never found the highs on the 325i piercing as described by people on Head-fi, infact, my 125s, if i remember correctly were MUCH brighter when i first got them ( but then again, the 125s are known to be overwhelmingly bright ) I believe the 125s or 325i when coupled with a decent tube amp are very capable cans, tubes easily give them the signature "Grado" warmness and tame the highs alittle. I remember there was a period of time i was using solid state amplification and the 125s sounded very cold and the highs were very, very sharp, not the case with my tube-rolled Cayin HA-1A....

I see, you have made your move on the MS-Pro. How was it?? biggrin.gif

just expressed interest in his phones. sleep.gif nothing firm yet. will probably be going down again sometime soon to audition the rs-1s again.

but this time, with a lot more music. party.gif

But they are ridiculously cheap but yet the ppl down Head-Fi are so not moving. Thinking maybe they can get it cheaper while waiting. Better still, shipping from australia sounds much better than from states.

btw, what amp did they pair the RS-1s with? I've auditioned the RS-1 a while ago, paired with a Perreaux SXH2. Unusual combo but the acoustic strings on the RS-1 blew me away!

nonsense! tongue.gif

the majority of head-fi probably leans towards the ms2 instead of the 325 simply because the ms2 is less piercing and cheaper, but then again you must take into account the horde of 225 owners! and the ms1 certainly has few fans when compared to the sr80!

add that to the fact that very few people in head-fi own the mspro when compared to the rs1.. and those that have have moved back to the rs1 (bhd812, goredwings19 comes to mind).. you get the idea. alessandro owners are still a distinct minority. cool.gif

A "nonsense" allegation calls for some "sterilisation". tongue.gif

I think there's more to the MS-2's then just being less piercing and cheaper than the SR-325's for them to have won so many fans over such a short period of time. IIRC Alessandro's popularity only rose significantly within the past year or so, which also explains why there are more SR-225 owners as the latter has been out there for so much longer! It seems that in the recent months, there has been much more interest in/purchases of the MS-2i and SR-325i, and the MS-2i does compare very favourably to the Grado line, with most placing it above the SR-225 and SR-325.

And I seriously don't think the MS-1's has "few fans" judging from the number of posts relating to them. On the contrary, I haven't been seeing a lot of SR-80 posts, perhaps their fans have all moved up to higher end Grados? Anyway there doesn't seem to be statistics to show which has higher ownership, but I think most who have heard both place the Alessandro's firmly above the Grado's. YMMV.

I believe I did qualify in my previous post that "the majority on Head-fi seems to prefer the Alessandro's except probably in the comparison between the RS-1's and MS-Pro's", so no arguments there about more liking the RS-1's better.

Still, Alessandro owners are gaining in numbers and definitely are no longer a distinct minority based on recent trends, at least from what I can see.

well argued, absolute0.

my apologies if i seemed rude - i really did not mean to. unsure.gif

Alessandro cans are rare here.. wait after may going to have another 5 new alessandro users here.. party.gif I am real excited on the MS2i.. will give the MS pro a listen if i have the chance. w00t.gif

well argued, absolute0.

my apologies if i seemed rude - i really did not mean to. unsure.gif

Nah, there's no need to apologise. I knew it was tongue-in-cheek. I hope I didn't sound pissed though. wink.gif