Sign in to follow this  
DiGdUb

My angry email to Sony over HD5

i found out that one point of the cross button on my HD5 has cracked through the plastic so i sent them this nasty mail. see what they say. yucky.gif

======================================

To:

'Sgmc, Enquiry' <Enquiry.Sg@ap.sony.com>

Priority: Normal

Subject:

Re: FW: Cracks in HD5 button

Type: HTML Msg

I've gone to the Sony Service Reception at Wisma Atria and the person told me that there would be a fee charged to replace the buttons as it is a cosmetic defect. I do wonder if Sony uses inferior materials in their products, especially the HD5. I've seen the cracked buttons on the display units at the Sony Square outlets in Bugis Junction and Wisma Atria. The silver HD5 display unit at Wisma even had such bad cracks that the plastic buttons had cracked through at 2 points. The button on my HD5 has 3 cracks and had already cracked through the plastic at 1 point, AFTER LESS THAN 2 MONTHS OF USE!! I'm just waiting the rest of the points to crack through and the plastic to fall off. This is obviously not a case of misuse, rather, its a case of a design or material flaw used in the cross-shaped button on the HD5.

I hope that Sony will be sensible and brave enough to admit the poor quality of the material use and not expect consumers to pay for your mistake. If you are unable to make decisions, forward this to your superior or someone who can. I expect the button to be replaced at no cost on my HD5. I do not expect to be paying to replace the buttons, which in the first place, is due to Sony's poor design or choice of material used and not through mishandling on my part. And what if the replaced button cracks again? I have to pay again to have the replaced button replaced, which is a recurrent cost that I did not expect nor should I be expected to fork out when I bought the HD5.

=====================================================

its been an issue thruout the world and sony haven even raised a finger

I don't reckon Sony can live in eternal denial. This will only tarnish their reputation and make them lose invaluable consumer confidence in the quality of Sony products.

Just like Japan, never really did apologize for the grievence they caused during WW2. Say sorry only but still go to the graveyard and honor those brutal soldiers.

Haste makes waste.

Good for you! Seems like nasty emails work better than cordial ones... rolleyes.gif

Did you enquire if the replacement buttons be of the same material/quality as the one that just cracked?

This is not a one-off incident as I have been tracking news of this HDD player since it came out in Japan and alot of users had already complained about the cracked buttons.

That is one very angry email. I am glad that it worked for you. But still doesn't the warranty cover such defects? I know that they repair for free even when damaged during normal usage. Perhaps the customer service officer at Wisma was a newbie?

I think inferior quality for Sony Products are pretty isolated cases. I wouldn't typecast them but some of the products do bear bad worksmanship. It's often form over function these days. Look at those vintage Sony PCDPs. Even after 20~years, they still run like a horse. I think it's important to be selective on chosing their products. Some are real keepers but some...well,...

just sent my hd5 to hospital. see what buttons they will use. maybe the ones for the black unit? cos i have not seen any buttons crack on the black units before, only the red and silver ones.