Sign in to follow this  
Guest acidash

Just bought a Grado 60

were you at mbd auditioning phones yesterday (30th sep 2005)?

I think I saw someone auditioning phones on a RA-1 whil I walk past MBD... happy.gif

Listen to it and enjoy the music!

On a more serious note, you might want let it burn in for a while.

Wanna do a cheap mod?

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=2415

Alternatively don't cut out the hole if you think the sound is too bright.

Grado SR-60 is perhaps the first step to true hi-fi nirvana. What you really need to to is let it burn in for about 150 hours of music playback. Then and only then should you decide if you want to do any minor mods like getting the yellow senn pads, or cutting a 50¢ hole in the existing pad etc. This is a really easy to drive headphone and getting an amp for it is almost optional (I say almost bec some MP3 players or PCDPs may still find it difficult to drive these headphones - esp those that boast extra long playback times like more then 150 hours.

Agree with you Rameish.

Newer technology boast longer playback time but inside actually uses lower power headphone driver. Also, they uses very efficient earphone. Further reduces power consumption. A marketing hype for consumer electronics.

BTW, I uses Zen Micro without the amp to drive my Grados. wink.gif

What do you mean by lower power headphone driver? The power output? Foe my case I'm using Hi-MD and the power outpout is only 5mW per channel and I can safely say that it's more than enough for me to power my newly bought Grado SR80. Using this only in camp as I use my Shure E3c while on the move. Now my Shure's sounds so bad 'thanks' to Grados. innocent.gif

What jason is trying to say is with the lower power output, driving low impedance cans such as Grado (32 ohms) is a breeze but partner it with cans of higher impedance eg 100 ohms and more, sound quality will deteriorate immensely.