headphonecrazy

Anyone with any comments on Equinox cables

I'll appreciate if any members have experience or comments to share on Stefan Audioart Equinox cable for Sennheiser's HD580/600. Between this cable and the Clou's, any comments?

Thanks

headphonecrazy, I think you might want to try posting or searching for posts in head-fi comparing these two. I don't think anyone here in sgheadphones have owned both, as far as I know wink.gif

You wouldn't need golden ears to hear the difference between the stock Senn. cables and any 1/2 decent aftermarket cables.

Even with say, a pc cdrom's headphone jack as the source and with no amplification, you can definitely hear the difference.

Probably just need to pay attention to it

hahaha if the difference is subtle then noone would be dumb enough to pay almost the same $$ for the aftermarket cable biggrin.gif

Thread wars have started for less than that Guy, be careful what you say from the top of your head.

audiophiles fork out big cash for subtle improvements. if the cable is the last factor for the best sound, many would pay for it. blink.gif

headphonecrazy, do check out headfi for reviews but the equinox seems better than the clous according to many.

Edited by evil-zen

Evil-Zen,

Another way to look at it is that the headphone cables are pretty low quality in comparison to everything else in the chain.

This is true for Sennheiser cans and since the HD580 & 600 are detachable, it makes good sense to try good cables and hear for yourself what is 'lost', true enough the difference is probably big enough for a niche market there. Now that the newer range uses conventional 2.5mm plugs its even easier to change cables...

do you guys think it is worth buying a replacement cable for the hd600, would the hd600 with a replacement cable rival headphones in the same price range?

If you love the SennHD-600 sound and just wish to tweak it without any major changes then by all means try the different cables.

Jason, even the humbe Philips Hp-890 changes sound with cable change - with the Canare cable a touch of warmth was added and better focus. So you don't need golden ears - but maybe a golden wallet LOL.

My experience with the equinox cable is an excellent one. The standard is simply light ages ahead of the stock cable. Unfortunately I have yet to own the Cardas cable otherwise I could be a A/B comparison.

With the Equinox cable, the detail level is much better. In addition, it sort of smoothen out the brightness of my Sudgen headmaster. Although, lots of Sudgen owners in Head-fi would disagree with me but I do find the HD600 with Equinox does sounds a tad harsh with the HD600 stock cable. For the bass, it does becomes more defined and it adds a little more slam to it.

IMHO, the Equinox cable ranks 2nd in term of improvement in terms of value for money.

The best way to find out is to try to convince someone to loan you their cable in order for you to have an audition

I only have the Clou Red to compare with the stock cables. People say it's not the best but it certainly isn't bad. If you like more bass weight this certaily will give you more of that without sacrificing the mids (I can't say if it is better) but the highs seems crisper. Admittedly with a lesser META it sounded a tad muddy & coarse. I wouldn't mind trying out the Cardas & Equinox just to try a different flavour.

i don't own a hd600, but i will be receiving one probably next week for a listen. it's got stock cable. i've got a dt880 and going to have a big comparsion laugh.gif im just sort of looking into the future, if i like the dt880 only slightly more, would a cable with the hd600 improve it dramtically in value... but anyway i am looking to forward too much!!