Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

worth it to diy headphones? hehe

hmm.. anyone thinks its worth it to diy headphones? i.e. get some top end headphone drivers and diy something out.. probably something close to what headphile's been doing.. (although they modify a bit more based on current structures than from scratch)

but i've been vv tempted to do something similar..

i even had the idea of.. super imposing 4 x grado sr80 drivers into a quad driver headphone in rectangular stax/akg sort of.. resonant chamber with the two drivers orientated in creating a convergent sweetspot by tilt adjustments per side etc..

or buy a couple of beyer dt880 drivers.. and.. hehehe.. tongue.gif spin something out?

lol i think i might be starting small first... probably modding grados into full woodies laugh.gif but have to note the acoustics of the coil, and properties of the resonant chamber, cuz the lower SR series have a non-resonnant chamber, versus the higher ends 325i and rs-1s with woodied resonant chambers. i guess its more of trial and error.. probably start with a long chamber and shortern it to my tastes etc haha..

:S~

i was thinking also that different major brands, their headphones have different properties, grados with the thump, senns with the laid back soundstage, beyers and their musicality.. hmm.. if to take it further, maybe a tri-driver headphone? tongue.gif with a internal circuitry into distributing the frequencies to the correct drivers in the right proportions they perform best or most uniquely at. (lol like taking bi-wiring to a higher level? )only problem is the positioning, difficult to generate a balanced sweet spot :S lots of trials and errors probably..

Lol, sounds rather huge for headphone. Maybe you should go speakers first? Don't forget, you have to design the circuits and drivers in such a way that it can fit your head, and still get the sound you want. Some proffessional help, me thinks you might need.

Hmm. Very advendturous indeed.

For me I rather DIY speaker. A few planks of wood, a few good driver and a port tube. Walla!!!

Headphones are rather hard 'cos you have to be good in mechanical design and have it fit nicely onto your head. The mold to build it would definately cost a bomb...

It's not building a headphone isn't it? Larry makes woody mods and so on. Down here he's talking about bulding one from scratch.