Sign in to follow this  
iconic

amplifier for rs-1

hi there i have recently purchased a grado rs-1. i currently have a dtpa amp:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91987

i feel this isn't driving the rs-1 to its potential. i am after suggestions or even demos of amplifiers that are best suited to the rs-1.

adhoc has an eddie current amp which i would love to listen to, though he is quite busy with the military sad2.gif

i will be in singapore from nov 9-16, currently in australia, so hopefully we can have a little meet smile.gif

i am thinking of buying a g&w t2.6f amp for the rs-1. i'll be in china (guangdong province) after nov 16 for 3 weeks. does anyone have suggestions for where to purchase the g&w?

thanks,

peter

Peter,

I would suggest a headroom amp for best results. The Grado RA-1 is preety good combo as well and was afterall made for the current range of Grado headphones. If you're going the DIY route such as the PPA pick an opamp like the OPA-627 for it. I personally feel the OPA-627 is one of the better choices available on the market out there for Grado.

hi rameish thanks for the suggestion. i am thinking of buying the ra-1 clone in the classified section, you don't suggest a tube amplifier?

hi rameish thanks for the suggestion. i am thinking of buying the ra-1 clone in the classified section, you don't suggest a tube amplifier?

Tube amplification is a bit of a hit and miss with grado RS-1. A nice tube amp would be the Micro Zotl. If you are sensitive to background hiss (tube amps tend to be a bit noisy) then stay away as the high sensitivity of the Grado headphones lets you hear it.

Ah...thats a very good choice for your RS-1. Inexpensive too!

Tube amplification is a bit of a hit and miss with grado RS-1. A nice tube amp would be the Micro Zotl. If you are sensitive to background hiss (tube amps tend to be a bit noisy) then stay away as the high sensitivity of the Grado headphones lets you hear it.

yup.. i find tubes better off with laid back phones like senn 650s etc..

if you've seen the freq response vs amplitude chart of rs 1 vs 650s, there is a large increase in amplitude at the higher frequencies for the rs-1s, thus you would probably match this with a more laid back source of amplification, probably like 627s or 637s for a more even sound

if you are going tubes.. audition first.. it depends on how they bias the tube amp sometimes.. the output may not match your headphone.. and it wont sound good no.gif

Micro ZOLT is the one I like the best partnered with the RS-1. Otherwise I have no problems with & quite like the sound with my Cayin HA-1A.

Since u would be in China, u will be spoilt for choice as opposed to our friends in US and Europe.

I think only Barradio has it fishball. How are you BTW. Dont see ya on IRC anymore.

Edited by Rameish

Wuh so rare ar. Hmmm don't barradio have the naim one as well? Guess I'll contact him and pay him a visit in the near future. A friend is bringing in some chinese headamp, bada i think.

Haven't been chatting, too busy working... ahhh the student's life, how i miss it so... dry.gif

hi i'm currently in zhongshan in china.. i might be going to guangzhou in the coming days. does anyone know where the building full of audiophile goods are?

hopefully i'll be bringing back the g&w for chris to listen to smile.gif