Sign in to follow this  
iconic

amplifier for rs-1

thanks for the suggestion, now to have a listen smile.gif does anyone own the amp? haha

i have taken my recommendation for the g&w from this post:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.ph...70&postcount=14

I don't think tube amps suit the low impedance 32 ohms Grados, even the HA-1A with low-impedance selection. Better stay away from tubes as a whole, just in case. Reported from other users too on headfi.

A generalised sweeping comment like that can be misleading. It's true not all tube amps work well with the RS-1 however there are some tube amps that sound good with it. I've only heard it with the Cayin/Spark HA-1A, Cary 300SEI & Berning Micro ZOLT. In all cases the sound is good. Very good in the latter amps mentioned, IMO.

I agree. Like Naz, I've also listened to grados with the 3 tube amps in question and they all worked great. There's plenty of guys on head-fi who use tube amps like the Singlepower series with their grados too. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. wink.gif

Edited by av98m

2100 statement is at least partially correct. it takes quite a bit of design to get tubes to work well with grados - either your amp has to be carefully designed around it, or the alternative is having an amp with a suitable output transformer, like my eddie current.

Hmm...the grados work great on HA-1A? Ferbose reported otherwise on his review thread in head-fi. He did say it worked great with even the power guzzling K-1000.

If one strongly believes that a particular tube gear is good enough to be able to handle 32 ohms and likes that gear, i guess it's ok to go ahead. Of course i'm just being careful, these things are not cheap for me and one does lose money when experimenting.

I am already sweating if the HA-1A can handle 62 ohms of the K-701. When it does come i'll probably bring the HA-1A over to listen first. biggrin.gif

I don't think tube amps suit the low impedance 32 ohms Grados

Based your opinion on hearsay, did you? Tube headamps can't handle low impedance cans? That's blasphemy as we have tested, auditioned and tried a variety of tube amps with all kinds of cans favoured in this and other similar forums. At least Cayin HA-1A did not falter, neither do those stipulated in Naz's post. I wanna add one more......XiangSheng 708A.....in fact, I'm only worried you fry the Grados if the volume pot is turned too high up!

Words can only mean so much so take my opinion with a pinch of salt, taste it yourself if the broth is too salty or otherwise. My only concern is not whether tube amps are able to drive Grados but synergy. Drive capability is one thing, sounding good is another.

Based your opinion on hearsay, did you? Tube headamps can't handle low impedance cans? That's blasphemy as we have tested, auditioned and tried a variety of tube amps with all kinds of cans favoured in this and other similar forums. At least Cayin HA-1A did not falter, neither do those stipulated in Naz's post. I wanna add one more......XiangSheng 708A.....in fact, I'm only worried you fry the Grados if the volume pot is turned too high up!

Words can only mean so much so take my opinion with a pinch of salt, taste it yourself if the broth is too salty or otherwise. My only concern is not whether tube amps are able to drive Grados but synergy. Drive capability is one thing, sounding good is another.

Hi broz, don't have to get so worked up lar. It's just a hobby.

You can check this out.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138581

Yup, it's hearsay, that's because i do not have Grados. However, I Do have a HA-1A + 32 ohms Philips phones. Or perhaps I have to go MBD and buy a Grado to find out myself.....

Whatever rocks your boat boys. Just sharing my opinion. biggrin.gif Hope that's allowed here.

Given the nature of the internet, people who give advice or opinions based on not personal experience or expertise, but 2nd, 3rd or even 4th hand accounts from complete strangers are legion. I'm sure nobody means, to jump on you but some just want to keep newbies who may not be aware of the nature of such advice from being misled. I think it'd be a tragedy if someone decides never to try Grados with tube amps because of something they read, because there are some really good ones out there. And sound being such a subjective thing, its best one listens with one's ears and not with one's eyes. Hope you do not mind. wink.gif

Hi broz, don't have to get so worked up lar. It's just a hobby.

You can check this out.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138581

Yup, it's hearsay, that's because i do not have Grados. However, I Do have a HA-1A + 32 ohms Philips phones. Or perhaps I have to go MBD and buy a Grado to find out myself.....

Whatever rocks your boat boys. Just sharing my opinion. biggrin.gif Hope that's allowed here.

Sorry if I came across as "worked up" but I did not meant to be so and I was certainly not antagonised. Those who have known and met me may find me direct in speech and opinions. I could come across as slightly aggressive in words perhaps? blush.gif

Oh of course everyone is entitled to their opinions. However, wouldn't it be more constructive if each and everyone plays a part in reflecting their impressions of any gear after having heard and tried the concerned equipment for him/herself? I'm just worried that others who are researching in our forum may develop biased opinions, be it positive or negative.

Last but not least, a 32-ohm Philips and a 32-ohm Grado will sound different with the same amp as the entire audio system has to synergise. It's akin to buying a pair of jeans of the same size but different cutting?

Let's end it here. I always love the harmony in this forum and it's always a joy to be helpful. Imagine the pitfalls we have faced in audiophilia when internet wasn't invented then! yucky.gif

Edited by Mackie

i managed to find some headphone amps in china (zhongshan and guangzhou)

firstly listened to consonance cyber 20 (headphone only), 10 (pre-amp), 30 (pre-amp). i think it was the 30 which sounded the best, or it could have been the 10, but one of them had hum. the 30 bests the 20 by providing the same sound as the 20, but with more body to the sound given it's more powerful. quite a wide soundstage to the other amps i listened to at the shop. though at that time i didn't think it was great synergy.

i also listened to the korsun u5 and bada ph-1. the former is too slow for my liking, and the latter is quite crap compared to the cyber 20.

i listened to those in zhongshan.

i went to guangzhou a couple days ago. took quite a lot of time finding the audio place as my mum's friend's daughter who studies in guangzhou doesn't know the area that well since its so large.. but we did find one area which sells audio products, though not the largest area which is HaiPi or something like that

but yeah i had a listen to a mingda pre-amp, the headphone amp wasn't in stock. it sounded alright too, not that much synergy. then went to another shop and had a listen to the cayin spark ha-1a. it sounded better than the mingda. i was tempted to buy it given we were running late.. though i perserved and found the g&w amp smile.gif it was in the sennheiser shop across the road!

there they had the g&w t2.6f, g&w t2.1A(?), feel hp-100, and feel hp-200. i only listened to the first and last amps in the list. the former has more forward midrange which i prefer and is faster than the feel. also the g&w had more vocal body than the cayin. i can't remember how the cyber sounded, but i think it has a wider soundstage.

as it was getting late and we went so far out, i bought the g&w t2.6f for 2380 yuan.

all were listened to with different sources using the flaming lip's yoshimi album.

now gotta roll some tubes, my relative in zhongshan is a sound engineer i think (i have bad chinese, and he doesn't speak english) gave me some 70s beijing tubes, they don't have as much impact as the stock russian tubes.. but i will leave it to chris (fishball79) to have a closer listen!

Yes, they are on stock tubes at the moment. There's another 2 pairs probably given to iconic by his relative, haven't tried those. I intend to have a mini shootout with yotiao this x'mas... not sure if i have time to tube roll and burn in the amp before we meet up...

Where can I get the Siemens E88CC in Singapore? I believe they aren't cheap, ~$100 a pair?