Sign in to follow this  
azeroth

Recommendations For a Mid Priced Headphones

Hi

I would appreciate a recommendation for a mid priced headphones that is suitable for most genres of music although I go mainly for vocals, instrumentals and occasional pop and rock. My budget is up to $500+, although the lower the better

I have done a little research and several brands/models that are in my list include:

1) the grado series sr 80/125/125/225/325

2) the sennheiser series hd 5XX to hd600

3) beyerdynamic dt770 pro, dt880

I'm open to recommendations for other brands and models. Currently I am seriously considering the sr325 vs hd600 vs dt880. Would appreciate comments. At the same time, I've also heard a lot of good comments about the cheaper sr225, sennheiser 595, 580 so should I go for these since they may offer better value and for the higher end phones, diminishing returns start to kick in and are more difficult to drive?

Edited by azeroth

erm... i feel that diminishing returns do not really kick in sometimes for headphones cuz.. its hard to cure one of.. the upgrading syndrome.. even a small difference is worth it sometimes because some individuals may be a little picky for that.. little more detail or little more edge etc..

if you like vocals i would prefer IEMS.. because of the intimacy.

pop/rock = grado.. i find that on grados, electric guitar and all its pretty juicy sounding

a balanced neutral performance maybe beyer dt 880/dt 150/dt 250

senns when paired with a source with brighter highers/clarity would be pretty remarkable in their performance as well..

i guess its most important for you to audition these phones yourself, and also take note of the equipment the headphone's amped on..

grados -> music by design has up to rs-1 for you to listen to

beyerdynamics -> anything audio has most of the headphones for audition..

sennheisers i m not too sure abt where you can have a try on the 600/650.. tongue.gif

I would recommand the Grado 325i and you can audition it at either music by design or stereo, as for sennheiser hd-600/650 you can audition at top level of Tangs but please don't buy them there...... no.gif $$$$ as for beyer, yes, anything audio at parklane.

Strike off the DT770 from your list. Defenitely not for vocals based listening. Unless you come from the ICE (in car entertainment) or Movie buff camp.

From the headphones you've mentioned & what I have experience with, I'd highly recommend in no particular order:

SR80 - if you wish to forgo a headphone amp.

Otherwise HD580/600, DT880 & maybe even the DT150 (if you need closed headphones & don't mind the narrow soundstage) this last one packs a hefty wallop in the bass region too but not at the expense of mids & vocals.

All these headphones work best amped so factor that into your budget if you haven't already.

Thanks for the response. From the responses, my impression seems to be that the grados are bright, the senns are less forward sounding, the beyers are neutral with good bass

OK so the dt770 is out. I guess the best is to audition the models recommended here but from what J-ohn has posted, it appears that for the different brands, I'll have to go to different places to audition. That will make a comparison difficult - so perhaps I'll also ask "If you had $500-$600" to spend on a phone, what would you go for and why?"

As for the amp, I've not factored in to my budget but will do so in due course. BTW someone is selling a RA-1 amp here http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=3981 Is this good enough for my purpose?

erm.. it depends on what headphone you are using before getting a specific amp..

once you've settled on your headphones, then you can probably listen around to see which amp gives you your desired sound..

the RA-1 is a fine amp for many headphones, you can actually roll opamps as a form of variation laugh.gif

-ohn' date='Nov 14 2005, 09:33 AM'] I would recommand the Grado 325i and you can audition it at either music by design or stereo, as for sennheiser hd-600/650 you can audition at top level of Tangs but please don't buy them there...... no.gif $$$$ as for beyer, yes, anything audio at parklane.

u can try Sim Lim Sq level 3, Hung Brothers Electrical Trading....they have a good range of senns and audio technicas...and shure as well

avoid buying frm Tangs at all cost!!!!!!! w00t.gifw00t.gif

Actually yesterday I drop by stereo to get some banana plugs and other stuffs, I realise that they practically have every brand of earphone and headphones in singapore except beyer which according to them would be avaliable soon. happy.gif Unfortunately they don't have a good enough source and headphone amplifier to demo, if not demo-ing the hd600 wouldn't be a problem too...... that's also provided woodlands is not that far to you. lol.gif

Do throw in the AT cans too. particularly the A900. really nice cans for the money.

Don't see this model available, where did you last see it?

Edited by [J]-ohn

Do remember that some headphones like the Senn HD-600 Beyer DT-880 do require a good amp. The low impedence cans like the Grados appreciate a good headphone but it can really be bought at a later date. For Senn HD-600 and Beyer DT-880 you need to partner it with a good amp from the start.

Which headphone you prefer will ultimately depend on your taste. The Senns tend to be a bit laid back whist the Grados tend to be upfront. AKGs like the 501 tend to be neutral and bass shy (dont know about the new 601 and 701). IMO you cant really go wrong with a Grado, beyer, Senn - for rock there's nothing quite like Grados, for Classical it's a toss between Senn HD-600 and Beyer DT-880. What you may find out is at the end of the day you may end up having a pair of HD-600, a SR-325i, and a DT-880 or one of the newer AKGs and use each for different music - this is more common than you think :-) Many of us own several pair of different brands. It's the price to pay for wanting the best music reproduction for each genre of music.

From what you have described in you original post I would start off with a Grado SR-225, and get an amp for it. The SR-225 does instrumental and vocal music quite nicely as well. It's weakeness is full blown orchestra music. While you're at Music By Design do audition the new SR-325i - it's a better balanced headphone then the SR-325 (which was always a bit too bright for me). The advantage of the Grado's is you can get about 80% of the music potential without a dedicated amp. So if you like the Grado sound it's a no brainer. However some people find the Grado sound too bright and if you already have a good/moderate price amp like the Cayin/Spark Audio HA-1A (approx S$600) then go for either the Senn HD-600 or Beyer DT-880. The disadvantage of these two headphones is that a dedicated amp is a pre-requisite to good sound. The DT-880 has a less lush sound when compared to the HD-600 but some find it's truer to the music. For a sense of soundstaging I personally find the HD-600 has no competition.

Alternatively you may just wanna put all the money into a Grado RS-1 :-) and get an amp for it at a later date.

It's a tough choice but the choice is yours.

Thanks for the additional information, in particular, Rameish's post was very insightful, but it also means that my decision is now made more difficult as there isn't a phone that is good all round unless I go for broke. I have never considered buying multiple headphones but I guess now this may not be as far fetched as it would have been to me prior to Rameish's post. But getting multiple phones will have to be put on hold till I budget for it

For now, probably the closest in terms of what I want and price is the SR225 as mentioned by Rameish. Rameish also mentions the 325i. What advantages does this phone offer over the SR225 for $150 more? If the difference is not a lot, I may stick to the SR225. Also, two issues I have with the Grados - I find that for comfort, I very much prefer the Senns and the Beyers. The other issue is that the Grados stock cable is somewhat shorter than the Senns, so I may need an extension cable. Is this expensive and would this degrade the sound quality?

What advantages does this phone offer over the SR225 for $150 more?

-leather headband

-metal earcups

-you don't have to wonder how the highest end in the prestige series sound

Haven't heard the SR225, wanted to buy the SR225 at first, but changed my mind, the SR325i is pretty. laugh.gif I am a happy camper.

Also, two issues I have with the Grados - I find that for comfort, I very much prefer the Senns and the Beyers.

The HD414 pads (modded or unmodded) are extra comfy. The bowls take some time to "soft-in" ie. to make them softer and less like sand paper. Washing them lightly with shampoo or body foam and air-drying them DO make them softer and more comfortable.

Wearing them correctly helps tremendously too.